PDA

View Full Version : Single-speed back-pedal brakes in the 1960s

Myrmecia
March 11th 06, 05:57 AM
I had a "Super Elliott" in the 1960s and like most Australian bikes of
the time it was a single speed equipped with a back-pedal brake. Was
there a default gearing for these machines? I have read that 76 gear
inches was the default. But haven't counted the teeth, so I don't know
if my memory of what I read years ago is correct.

Advice please.

Keith

Marx SS
March 12th 06, 12:33 AM
No idea.

I understand that the TDF was previously run with a few bikes running
single spd coaster brakes in the early years. Just goes to show you how
soft the hard men of cycling are nowadays. :p

Maybe something 'Here.' (http://sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html)

--
Marx SS

Google