PDA

View Full Version : RR somewhere along the Yarra

Euan
March 12th 06, 09:29 PM
With May not too far around the corner I'm trying to get some more k's
on my duallie so Saturday saw me on the train to Parliament at around
eight o'clock to meat my mate Vlad at his house and head off for a ride.

Those who know Vlad know he's an exceptionally good host so it was 3
coffees later before we headed on out. Vlad lives just off of High
Street so we crossed the rail line running along the back of his road
and down some bike path. From that point on I was officially lost.

Trundling along not really caring that I've no idea where I am we come
across the Boat House. Oh goody, I know where that is :-) Anyway
there's a choice between a long boring run to the meeting point or a
short run where if you make a mistake you end up in the Yarra. Short
one wins! It's a nice bit of track which does keep you on your toes,
managed to get through without incident though.

More bike path, still along the Yarra and we meet up with some friends
of Vlad's who are joining us for a ride. Off we go again. Basically it
was bike path all the way but whenever there was a gap in the vegetation
that looked single track (ish) that's the way Vlad and I headed meeting
the others up along the way.

Hey, I recognise this bit of road, it's Springvale Road. How did we get
here?

Some road, heading to the Eastern Freeway. I flat, can't find the hole
which is tres annoying. Whack out my spare only to find, horrors of
horrors, I'd accidentally picked up a spare tube for Suzie's old Hybrid:
schrader valve! Arrrrrrrrgh! Either we're replacing the tubes on the
hybrid and giving away the schraders or we're getting ride of the hybrid.

Pinch tube off of Vlad. Mmmm, nice hill :-) Eastern Freeway bike path.
Fast!

Back wheels slowly loosing air. Oh bugger. It's good enough to ride on
for ten ks or so before I have to pump it up again so we keep going.

Stop off at Vlad's friend's house and pop in for coffee, water and
cactus. Never had cactus before, it's nice. Anxiously glance at watch
as I need to be in Port Melbourne for four. Vlad and I make our excuses
and head back to his place. Tubes out, what the hell's causing this flat?

Turns out Vlad's tube was patched with one of those glueless things and
in totally different place to where I flatted. Patch both tubes up,
yummy lunch (it's always yummy at Vlads) quick shower and it's ten to
four before I'm out the door. Hmm. Northcote to Port Melboune in ten
minutes? Don't think so baby puppy!

Anyway I hoy down there as fast as I could and find that people are
still suiting up. Oh good, I can be part of the event :-) (see Suzie's
post).

To my knowledge this is only the second time that Suzie's done the
multi-modal thing to get home to Dingley Village from the city. The
first time was Friday night where we had nibbles and dinner with friends
in the city. Taking the train then riding home from the station may
take a little longer but it's a lot more fun, especially when you've got
some company and you can do stuff that's not influenced by one party
having to concentrate on driving. Really cool :-)

Addendum: took the duallie to the car free day. Pottered around
decided to go for a ride. Got bike out, flat. Wasn't when we left home
so I'm a bit annoyed. Pull it apart, pump up inner, can't find anything
wrong. Bikesoiler has a good squiz at it, can't find anything wrong.
Shrug. Pop back in, pump pump pump.

What's that really high pitched keening sound? Oh it's my wheel! Patch
had come loose. Glad that didn't happen on the Aeolian!
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

Zebee Johnstone
March 13th 06, 12:19 AM
In aus.bicycle on Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:29:05 GMT
Euan > wrote:

> What's that really high pitched keening sound? Oh it's my wheel! Patch
> had come loose. Glad that didn't happen on the Aeolian!

What is it with the flat fairy?

Rode my bike on Saturday to show it off to a friend, all is well.

Arrange to meet him and his son later that evening to ride to the harp
pub for dinner, wander down to the shed to leave for the meeting and
front tyre dead flat!

pull the tube, eyeball it, pump it, curse lack of clean receptacle for
water, listen and feel for hole, seems to be holding air...

Put it back in, pump it up, get helmet, tyre flat.

So put in spare tube and head off, a bit late.

Checked it Sunday morning, invisible hole near the valve. Damfino why
it suddenly appeared! Tyres were pumped up when I got the thing on
Thursday, did an hour or so on it Friday, half an hour or so on
Saturday, then it's flat. Nothing in the tyre that I can see.

I suspect the ****up Fairy is franchising more than power outages...

Zebee

Parbs
March 13th 06, 06:22 AM
Euan wrote:
> With May not too far around the corner I'm trying to get some more k's
> on my duallie

Hey no secret CABC training!

Parbs

Euan
March 13th 06, 06:59 AM
Parbs wrote:
> Euan wrote:
>
>> With May not too far around the corner I'm trying to get some more k's
>> on my duallie
>

> Hey no secret CABC training!
>
> Parbs

Oh dang, failed to keep that secret!

Full disclosure, I started off road riding in November. I've had five
days at Lysterfield, two 60km round trip road commutes and a couple of
hours fscking around in the car park (brings out the kid in me).

Getting serious mileage on Rocky's a bit of a problem. I have to take
more stuff to work each day than I'd be comfortable carrying on my back
and a rack's just not going to happen with a duallie.

Bikesoiler's come to the rescue in that regard though, I'm borrowing his
Bob Yak trailer for a couple of months. I took it out for a test spin
yesterday (just around the block) and it's great. Swap the Larsen TT's
out with a pair of Continental Contacts and I've got a somewhat unusual
commuter for the next couple of months :-)

I intend to get at least two rides in a week using all the gear I want
to use in Alice Springs. Hopefully I'll have all my gear dialled nicely in.

My skills are still very rudimentary, about all that's going to get me
through this is endurance I fear.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@

Google