PDA

View Full Version : Re: Simplex BB Cable Guide source ?

Donald Gillies
March 17th 06, 01:28 AM
Bob > writes:

>Looking for a source ...

>Back in the mid-80's, Simplex developed a BB cable guide that was
>similar to the typical campy guide. It had a channel for the rear
>derail cable to make a 45 bend and a long channel for the front derail
>cable to make almost a u turn and come out positioned to pull from the
>front der from behind the seat tube (sans casing).

I have never seen the guide you have, but I do have a delrin
dual-cable guide for a 1973 SLJ restoration bike I am working on.
Hmmm, this one seems "close enough for government work" :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7223544589

cheap peugeots are an almost limitless supply of old simplex
hardware. However, in the 1980's almost all frames had braze-ons for
everything, so the part you are seeking might have been obsolete as
soon as it was released.

I have seen many delrin simplex cable guides on ebay, and a few
all-steel simplex guides as well. Chances are good that the guide
will not be different AT ALL from the equivalent huret guide, since
many french parts makers sourced the small parts from the same
supplier, and added their labels to their part. For example, I have
reason to believe that some simplex SLJ shift levers with hard plastic
covers are hiding beneath them some "H"'s (from huret !)

The huret double guides are pretty rare; I eventually found mine on
seattle craigslist. Cyclart has a lesser type of huret guide, i
think, for sale for $6.00.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Google