PDA

View Full Version : Q. for Muzi

Meccanico di Bici
March 17th 06, 03:09 AM
Andy, I have found an adjust side old Campy bb cup sized 35.5 x 1.
Actually, the second five is smaller and raised just a touch, but it
indicates ".5" . Sure enough, the darn thing is in fact a half
millimeter larger dia. than a 35 x 1. It is right-thread like any
adjust side. Do you have any idea what this thing is from? I've never
heard of such a size. (I don't have the fixed side, so I'm not sure if
it would be right or left-threaded. No spindle either.) Just curious if
you have any idears.
Jim

John Dacey
March 17th 06, 06:57 AM
"Cave ab homine unius libri." - Isaac D'Israeli

On 16 Mar 2006 19:09:20 -0800, "Meccanico di Bici"
> wrote:

>Andy, I have found an adjust side old Campy bb cup sized 35.5 x 1.
>Actually, the second five is smaller and raised just a touch, but it
>indicates ".5" . Sure enough, the darn thing is in fact a half
>millimeter larger dia. than a 35 x 1. It is right-thread like any
>adjust side. Do you have any idea what this thing is from? I've never
>heard of such a size. (I don't have the fixed side, so I'm not sure if
>it would be right or left-threaded. No spindle either.) Just curious if
>you have any idears.

Refer to the Campagnolo catalogues apposite to the generation of the
part. You will find notations in the bottom bracket sections of
catalogues n 18 and n 18 bis that "upon request the set of the cups
and lockring with thread increased by 0,5 mm is supplied".

Your discovery reflects that someone took them up on their offer.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
http://www.businesscycles.com
Since 1983
Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
-------------------------------

A Muzi
March 17th 06, 07:07 AM
Meccanico di Bici wrote:

> Andy, I have found an adjust side old Campy bb cup sized 35.5 x 1.
> Actually, the second five is smaller and raised just a touch, but it
> indicates ".5" . Sure enough, the darn thing is in fact a half
> millimeter larger dia. than a 35 x 1. It is right-thread like any
> adjust side. Do you have any idea what this thing is from? I've never
> heard of such a size. (I don't have the fixed side, so I'm not sure if
> it would be right or left-threaded. No spindle either.) Just curious if
> you have any idears.

Sure, there used to be "oversize" cups available for all 4
threads. We don't have any pairs left, a couple singles.

Jobst recently discussed the effect of a loose cup on a BB
thread. I guess the idea was that if you discovered the
problem after a couple of rides, an oversized cup would be
the quick cheap solution. Holdsworthy had them, never saw a
listing at a US parts house. Not in any Campagnolo books
I've seen either.

check out:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/CA746AOS.JPG

we discussed this 29 October 2004

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Qui si parla Campagnolo
March 17th 06, 01:42 PM
John Dacey wrote:
> "Cave ab homine unius libri." - Isaac D'Israeli
>
> On 16 Mar 2006 19:09:20 -0800, "Meccanico di Bici"
> > wrote:
>
> >Andy, I have found an adjust side old Campy bb cup sized 35.5 x 1.
> >Actually, the second five is smaller and raised just a touch, but it
> >indicates ".5" . Sure enough, the darn thing is in fact a half
> >millimeter larger dia. than a 35 x 1. It is right-thread like any
> >adjust side. Do you have any idea what this thing is from? I've never
> >heard of such a size. (I don't have the fixed side, so I'm not sure if
> >it would be right or left-threaded. No spindle either.) Just curious if
> >you have any idears.
>
> Refer to the Campagnolo catalogues apposite to the generation of the
> part. You will find notations in the bottom bracket sections of
> catalogues n 18 and n 18 bis that "upon request the set of the cups
> and lockring with thread increased by 0,5 mm is supplied".
>
> Your discovery reflects that someone took them up on their offer.
>

> -------------------------------
> John Dacey
> Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
> http://www.businesscycles.com
> Since 1983
> Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996

OK, here's another. A gent showed me a Campag BB spindle, marked
70-SS-120, that part easy but it had a 'Z' stamped below the
'SS'....any ideas???
> -------------------------------

Tom Ace
March 17th 06, 04:37 PM
Peter Chisholm wrote:

> OK, here's another. A gent showed me a Campag BB spindle, marked
> 70-SS-120, that part easy but it had a 'Z' stamped below the
> 'SS'....any ideas???

Quoting from a Campagnolo article from 1982:

"SL", "Z" may be found on some old axles.
They were production codes and have no
significance in identification.

The full article, with everything you ever wanted to know
about GS/Record/NR/SR bottom brackets, is scanned
and available at http://www.minortriad.com/campagbb.html

Tom Ace

A Muzi
March 18th 06, 06:08 AM

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> OK, here's another. A gent showed me a Campag BB spindle, marked
> 70-SS-120, that part easy but it had a 'Z' stamped below the
> 'SS'....any ideas???

Campagnolo Record News volume 1 number 2 page 7:

" "SL" and "Z" may be found on some old axles [sic] . They
were production codes and have no significance in
identification"

(sometimes I do read the fine print)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Qui si parla Campagnolo
March 18th 06, 04:33 PM
Tom Ace wrote:
> Peter Chisholm wrote:
>
> > OK, here's another. A gent showed me a Campag BB spindle, marked
> > 70-SS-120, that part easy but it had a 'Z' stamped below the
> > 'SS'....any ideas???
>
> Quoting from a Campagnolo article from 1982:
>
> "SL", "Z" may be found on some old axles.
> They were production codes and have no
> significance in identification.
>
> The full article, with everything you ever wanted to know
> about GS/Record/NR/SR bottom brackets, is scanned
> and available at http://www.minortriad.com/campagbb.html
>
> Tom Ace

very nice, thanks-

Google