PDA

View Full Version : Reflectors to mark night ride course.

Friday
March 18th 06, 12:46 AM
I'm organising a 6 hour nightride enduro race for myself an a group of
friends and need to find some kind of reflective markers to indicate the
course at night time. Anyone know where I can get some? If they come
with arrows as well that would be a bonus.

Parbs
March 18th 06, 02:04 AM
Friday wrote:
> I'm organising a 6 hour nightride enduro race for myself an a group of
> friends and need to find some kind of reflective markers to indicate the
> course at night time. Anyone know where I can get some? If they come
> with arrows as well that would be a bonus.

http://www.seton.net.au/indexes/index_visual.cfm

Plain tape is fine & just keep an eye out on the side of the roads,
favorite piece of singletrack and you'll find lots of discarded
reflectors that will do the job for any areas that you feel need extra
warning.

Parbs

ScanAustraliaPix
March 18th 06, 04:40 AM
try some bike shops

lots of bikes come with white wheel reflectors instead on yellow ones

sometimes they have massive amounts of these laying around because they
arent legal to sell

where are you?
how many do you need??

Friday
March 19th 06, 12:47 AM
Parbs wrote:
> Friday wrote:
>
>> I'm organising a 6 hour nightride enduro race for myself an a group of
>> friends and need to find some kind of reflective markers to indicate
>> the course at night time. Anyone know where I can get some? If they
>> come with arrows as well that would be a bonus.
>

> http://www.seton.net.au/indexes/index_visual.cfm
>
> Plain tape is fine & just keep an eye out on the side of the roads,
> favorite piece of singletrack and you'll find lots of discarded
> reflectors that will do the job for any areas that you feel need extra
> warning.
>
> Parbs

Did you check out the prices on those reflective products?

Terry Collins
March 19th 06, 02:51 AM
Friday wrote:
> I'm organising a 6 hour nightride enduro race for myself an a group of
> friends and need to find some kind of reflective markers to indicate the
> course at night time. Anyone know where I can get some? If they come
> with arrows as well that would be a bonus.

Do cheapo auto shops sell those ones they use on road posts?
3" and single screw mount?

Bleve
March 19th 06, 03:18 AM
ScanAustraliaPix wrote:
> try some bike shops

yeah, we've got loads of reflectors lying around. I'd imagine most
other shops would too

Poiter
March 20th 06, 09:55 PM
What about using plain (or SR) flour to mark arrows, then you don't have
to clean up afterwards?
Pete

--
Poiter

Tamyka Bell
March 20th 06, 11:28 PM
Poiter wrote:

> What about using plain (or SR) flour to mark arrows, then you don't have
> to clean up afterwards?
> Pete
>
> --
> Poiter

When we do ultras, the courses are marked with pale coloured flagging in
trees, and dolomite powder on the trail.

Tam

darryl
March 21st 06, 06:14 AM
In article

,
Terry Collins > wrote:

> Friday wrote:
> > I'm organising a 6 hour nightride enduro race for myself an a group of
> > friends and need to find some kind of reflective markers to indicate the
> > course at night time. Anyone know where I can get some? If they come
> > with arrows as well that would be a bonus.
>
> Do cheapo auto shops sell those ones they use on road posts?
> 3" and single screw mount?

Can you use reflective (Scotch) tape on plastic (disposable) dinner
plates? Then you can make arrows.
Do a google search for 'safety signs' and take your pick. You can even
get tape that is both reflective and luminous (but there are cheaper
solutions:
<http://www.seton.net.au/templates/visual_tape.cfm/hurl/StartRow=1/visual
_tape.cfm>
What about a bulk buy of cyalume sticks? Six hours might be stretching
it a bit but would be OK for a lot of the track.

Friday
March 21st 06, 09:50 AM
Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Poiter wrote:
>
>>What about using plain (or SR) flour to mark arrows, then you don't have
>>to clean up afterwards?
>>Pete
>>
>>--
>>Poiter
>

> When we do ultras, the courses are marked with pale coloured flagging in
> trees, and dolomite powder on the trail.
>
> Tam

Reflectors are much easier to spot at night. I've been using some fluro
colored tape but it's hard to spot at night. Dolomite is also hard to
pick at night, although I know the horse riders use it for their
endurance rides.

Friday
March 21st 06, 09:52 AM
Terry Collins wrote:
> Friday wrote:
>
>>I'm organising a 6 hour nightride enduro race for myself an a group of
>>friends and need to find some kind of reflective markers to indicate the
>>course at night time. Anyone know where I can get some? If they come
>>with arrows as well that would be a bonus.
>

> Do cheapo auto shops sell those ones they use on road posts?
> 3" and single screw mount?

I haven't been able to find any, not cheap ones anyway. I hope to have
them about every 100 metres which works out quite expensive over a 5 to
8 km circuit.

Friday
March 21st 06, 11:50 AM
darryl wrote:
> In article
> >
> ,
> Terry Collins > wrote:
>

>>Friday wrote:
>>
>>>I'm organising a 6 hour nightride enduro race for myself an a group of
>>>friends and need to find some kind of reflective markers to indicate the
>>>course at night time. Anyone know where I can get some? If they come
>>>with arrows as well that would be a bonus.
>>
>>Do cheapo auto shops sell those ones they use on road posts?
>>3" and single screw mount?
>

> Can you use reflective (Scotch) tape on plastic (disposable) dinner
> plates? Then you can make arrows.
> Do a google search for 'safety signs' and take your pick. You can even
> get tape that is both reflective and luminous (but there are cheaper
> solutions:
> <http://www.seton.net.au/templates/visual_tape.cfm/hurl/StartRow=1/visual
> _tape.cfm>
> What about a bulk buy of cyalume sticks? Six hours might be stretching
> it a bit but would be OK for a lot of the track.

At about $20 a metre for reflective tape it's a bit steep. Did you check
the prices?

Parbs
March 21st 06, 07:59 PM
Friday wrote:

> At about $20 a metre for reflective tape it's a bit steep. Did you check
> the prices?

Yup, but with a pair if scissors that becomes about 50cents a reflector

Parbs

slaw
March 21st 06, 11:43 PM
On the enduros that I have done, they have just marked the course with
some white tape. It shows up pretty well with even ordinary bike
lights. They've also used flouro spray on obstacles such as low
overhanging branches and rocks and that also shows up surprisingly well
with bike lights.

These courses do get pretty worn in though so the track is pretty
obvious for the most part and having ridden the course in the daylight
first also helps.

--
slaw

Terry Collins
March 22nd 06, 12:06 AM
Friday wrote:

> At about $20 a metre for reflective tape it's a bit steep. Did you check
> the prices?

Ooohh, and I was going to waste that great big roll by wrapping it in a
spiral around my POS MTB from 1984 {:-)

Anyway, thanks for the price tip off. I better start treating the roll
that was given as a present a little better.

darryl
March 22nd 06, 12:13 AM
In article >,
Parbs > wrote:

> Friday wrote:
>
> > At about $20 a metre for reflective tape it's a bit steep. Did you check
> > the prices?
>
> Yup, but with a pair if scissors that becomes about 50cents a reflector
>
> Parbs

Geez, you are right Parbs, it's hard to please. Certainly if it was me I
would be bloody happy to spend only that much but the prices I see on
that site for 25mm tape is $62.50 for 9 metres. That is $7 per metre.
(see high visibility safety tapes).

You can get custom stickers made at:
<http://www.hie.hl.com.au/new%2024hourstickers/Main%2024hourstickers.htm>
I suspect this solution would be more expensive but you could get
reflective arrows.

As always, happy to help,
Darryl

Theo Bekkers
March 22nd 06, 12:20 AM
Friday wrote:
> Terry Collins wrote:

>> Do cheapo auto shops sell those ones they use on road posts?
>> 3" and single screw mount?

> I haven't been able to find any, not cheap ones anyway. I hope to have
> them about every 100 metres which works out quite expensive over a 5
> to 8 km circuit.

They're easy to find. There's one every 100 metres along most highways.
Bring your own screwdriver.

Theo

Theo Bekkers
March 22nd 06, 01:37 AM
darryl wrote:

> Geez, you are right Parbs, it's hard to please. Certainly if it was
> me I would be bloody happy to spend only that much but the prices I
> see on that site for 25mm tape is $62.50 for 9 metres. That is $7 per
> metre. (see high visibility safety tapes).

Hell, maybe I wont throw out that 50 metre roll I've had on the shelf in the
shed fo twenty years then.

Theo

Terry Collins
March 22nd 06, 01:48 AM
Theo Bekkers wrote:

> They're easy to find. There's one every 100 metres along most highways.
> Bring your own screwdriver.

would you please try that for us and report back please?

<chuckle, usually put on with a one way screw - take pliers instead>

actually, if it is a regular route and you could get a supply of cheap
other-colour ones, then they could be snuck onto road side posts anyway.

Tamyka Bell
March 22nd 06, 01:48 AM
Terry Collins wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > Poiter wrote:
> >
> >>What about using plain (or SR) flour to mark arrows, then you don't have
> >>to clean up afterwards?
> >>Pete
> >>
> >>--
> >>Poiter
> >

> > When we do ultras, the courses are marked with pale coloured flagging in
> > trees, and dolomite powder on the trail.
>
> Well, that would be an interesting bicycle trailer to build; modify the
> seed feeder for bicycle use instead of ute use {:-).

Could be fun. But the course is only marked IVO junctions - an arrow for
the correct turn, and a solid line a few metres further down the wrong
way. It'd be much more fun to do it by hand, lugging around a backpack
of the powder. DON'T CROSS THE SOLID LINE! :-)

Tam

Tamyka Bell
March 22nd 06, 01:49 AM
Friday wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > Poiter wrote:
> >
> >>What about using plain (or SR) flour to mark arrows, then you don't have
> >>to clean up afterwards?
> >>Pete
> >>
> >>--
> >>Poiter
> >

> > When we do ultras, the courses are marked with pale coloured flagging in
> > trees, and dolomite powder on the trail.
> >
> > Tam
>
> Reflectors are much easier to spot at night. I've been using some fluro
> colored tape but it's hard to spot at night. Dolomite is also hard to
> pick at night, although I know the horse riders use it for their
> endurance rides.

We always found it highly reflective, plus you don't have to worry about
environmental effects.

Tam

Tamyka Bell
March 22nd 06, 01:50 AM
Theo Bekkers wrote:

> Friday wrote:
> > Terry Collins wrote:
>
> >> Do cheapo auto shops sell those ones they use on road posts?
> >> 3" and single screw mount?
>
> > I haven't been able to find any, not cheap ones anyway. I hope to have
> > them about every 100 metres which works out quite expensive over a 5
> > to 8 km circuit.
>
> They're easy to find. There's one every 100 metres along most highways.
> Bring your own screwdriver.
>
> Theo

Dress up as a car driver so as not to give cyclists a bad name ;-)

Tam

Theo Bekkers
March 22nd 06, 03:32 AM
Terry Collins wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:
>
>> They're easy to find. There's one every 100 metres along most
>> highways. Bring your own screwdriver.

> actually, if it is a regular route and you could get a supply of cheap
> other-colour ones, then they could be snuck onto road side posts
> anyway.

Hell, there's even two on each post, if you don't mind red _and_ white.

Theo

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home