gags

TimC
March 18th 06, 12:13 PM
On 2006-03-18, Gags (aka Bruce)

<snip broken bones>
> ride on (the train for a while)

So it can be said that you are still training then, can't it?

--
TimC
Information wants to be beer, or something like that. --unknown

Donga
March 18th 06, 10:27 PM
This must be why people keep telling me not to trail-ride on their own.
I tell them not to be boring; I can usually crawl out. But what if I
couldn't bring out my bike? Perhaps they're right!

Donga

gplama
March 19th 06, 01:05 AM
Gags Wrote:
> Went home for a quick
> shower and then to the hospital....x-rays show a "funny looking"
> (doc's
> description) fracture in my left wrist. he put on a backslab cast and
> i am
> off to the orthapedic surgeon next week.

aaww ****e luck Gags :( Hope your recovery is speedy and we see you
out on the BR again soon...

--
gplama

Marx SS
March 19th 06, 05:15 AM
Sometimes it's ironic that cycling is mostly done in lycra knicks & top.
My legs are a cronology of the offs & brushes I had, with some scars
don't heal completely.
Even though it's impossible to cover all accidents, I try to ride
8/10th when I'm out offroad like Scott.
'Spray on bandage' canister is a cool thing to carry about, if you can
clean the wound somehow on-the-fly.
Still better scars than tatts.

--
Marx SS

Gemma_k
March 19th 06, 11:51 AM
"Gags" <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote in message

> i am pretty ****ed as i was just starting to show some form and i was
> planning on entering a 6 hr race in early april. of course i am getting
> zero sympathy from my better half but i learnt long ago not to complain
> about sporting injuries too much as they all serve me right anway!!!!!

Condolances - but this will give you time to build up your track bike....
it's got to be a safer option that MTBing anyway!

Gemm

Andrew Price
March 19th 06, 10:02 PM
Gemma_k wrote -

> Condolances - but this will give you time to build up your track bike....
> it's got to be a safer option that MTBing anyway!

Does anyone know of a breakdown any where of injuries suffered between road,
mtb and track?

My own experience is that you tend to come off a mtb more (but that's got a
lot to do with my lack of experience and skill on a fat tyre I suspect).
Again just in my limited esperience coming off on the road and track are
rarer than off a mtb, but it does tend to happen at a higher velocity.

Are there lies, damned lies and statistics out there anywhere?

best, Andrew

Dave A
March 19th 06, 11:47 PM
Sh*t!
My doctor described my wrist fracture as "messy" and used the
expression "Humpty Dumpty". They had to "order the parts in" . I now
have three screws and various other metal pieces keeping my wrist
together. The good news is the wrist is mending extremely well.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery. You'll back on your seven
bikes before you know it.

DaveA

Resound
March 20th 06, 12:16 AM
"Gags" <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote in message
> was riding mtb out the back of Greensborough yesterday and after a couple
> of
> hours of enjoyment i managed to have a stack that skinned my knees and
> hurt
> my left forearm (i was half expecting a compound fracture). Rode back to
> my
> car one handed and managed to get the front wheel off and the bike up on
> the
> roof racks one handed (thank god i am tall!!!). Went home for a quick
> shower and then to the hospital....x-rays show a "funny looking" (doc's
> description) fracture in my left wrist. he put on a backslab cast and i
> am
> off to the orthapedic surgeon next week.
>
> i am pretty ****ed as i was just starting to show some form and i was
> planning on entering a 6 hr race in early april. of course i am getting
> zero sympathy from my better half but i learnt long ago not to complain
> about sporting injuries too much as they all serve me right anway!!!!!
>
> on a brighter note, went to the track cycling today at vodaphone with the
> family....all had a great time and i reckon i will be able to get them out
> there for another event in the future. also think i briefly saw ash but
> not
> too sure??
>
> ride on (the train for a while)
>
> gags

That's a nasty thing. Here's hoping for fast healing and little pain.

TimC
March 20th 06, 05:31 AM
On 2006-03-19, Marx SS (aka Bruce)
> Still better scars than tatts.

Only if you can get a scar in the shape of a chain ring on your shin.

Actually, when taking my pedals off a couple of days ago, I stabbed
myself on the chainring when the pedal spanner slipped. Two neat
little holes in my thumb.

--
TimC
"Eppur si muove!" (And yet it does move!)

TimC
March 20th 06, 05:33 AM
On 2006-03-19, Dave A (aka Bruce)
> Sh*t!
> My doctor described my wrist fracture as "messy" and used the
> expression "Humpty Dumpty". They had to "order the parts in"

That'll teach you for going upmarket Italian Ti and Carbon parts.

> . I now
> have three screws and various other metal pieces keeping my wrist
> together. The good news is the wrist is mending extremely well.

Geez, I'm glad my riding isn't very adventurous. Seems much safer to
just fights with SUVs and nissan skylines than to fight with those big
meany trees and rocks and stuff.

--
TimC
About the use of language: it is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a

Parbs
March 20th 06, 07:23 AM
Andrew Price wrote:

> Does anyone know of a breakdown any where of injuries suffered between road,
> mtb and track?

ISTR reading something recently, but couldn't find it in the sources I
thought it might be

> My own experience is that you tend to come off a mtb more (but that's got a
> lot to do with my lack of experience and skill on a fat tyre I suspect).

You get better at it (falling that is)

> Again just in my limited esperience coming off on the road and track are
> rarer than off a mtb, but it does tend to happen at a higher velocity.

My experience amongst my limited circle of friends and acquaintances is
that Mtb crashes are far more frequent, but road crashes brake more.

> Are there lies, damned lies and statistics out there anywhere?
>
> best, Andrew

Parbs - BNGHITA

TimC
March 20th 06, 02:16 PM
On 2006-03-20, Parbs (aka Bruce)
> Andrew Price wrote:
>> Again just in my limited esperience coming off on the road and track are
>> rarer than off a mtb, but it does tend to happen at a higher velocity.
>
> My experience amongst my limited circle of friends and acquaintances is
> that Mtb crashes are far more frequent, but road crashes brake more.

Both probably brake the same amount. If you crash (very fast
braking), you usually stop. Perhaps you do brake more on a roady,
because you are going faster to begin with. Nevermind.

--
TimC
By day I'm an old-school UNIX systems administrator and IT

a5hi5m
March 20th 06, 08:58 PM
TimC Wrote:
> On 2006-03-20, Parbs (aka Bruce)
> > Andrew Price wrote:
> >> Again just in my limited esperience coming off on the road and track
> are
> >> rarer than off a mtb, but it does tend to happen at a higher
> velocity.
> >
> > My experience amongst my limited circle of friends and acquaintances
> is
> > that Mtb crashes are far more frequent, but road crashes brake more.
>
> Both probably brake the same amount. If you crash (very fast
> braking), you usually stop. Perhaps you do brake more on a roady,
> because you are going faster to begin with. Nevermind.
>
> --
> TimC
> By day I'm an old-school UNIX systems administrator and IT
> insultant. -- Carl Brewer on aus.bicycle
Could be Andrew meant "break" not "brake" - just the way I read it tho.

Ash

--
a5hi5m

TimC
March 20th 06, 11:28 PM
On 2006-03-20, a5hi5m (aka Bruce)

> TimC Wrote:
>> On 2006-03-20, Parbs (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>> > My experience amongst my limited circle of friends and acquaintances
>> is
>> > that Mtb crashes are far more frequent, but road crashes brake more.
>>
>> Both probably brake the same amount. If you crash (very fast
>> braking), you usually stop. Perhaps you do brake more on a roady,
>> because you are going faster to begin with. Nevermind.
>
> Could be Andrew meant "break" not "brake" - just the way I read it tho.

Damn, don't you hate that when your attempted humour falls flat on its
face?

--
TimC
About the use of language: it is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a
blunt ax. It is equally vain to try to do it with ten blunt axes instead.
-- Edsger Dijkstra

Theo Bekkers
March 21st 06, 12:04 AM
Parbs wrote:

> My experience amongst my limited circle of friends and acquaintances
> is that Mtb crashes are far more frequent, but road crashes brake
> more.

Well, if you brake hard enough and early enough, you'll break less.

Theo

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home