PDA

View Full Version : Spoon brakes

Adam Rush
March 20th 06, 12:37 PM
I read on Sheldon Brown's website that bicycles with spoon brakes were
manufactured until quite late in the developing world (70's, 80's).
I've also seen some talk on the Internet about relatively late Austrian
(?) bicycles with spoon brakes, as well.

Does anybody have some links or information on these?

JeffWills
March 20th 06, 04:20 PM
Adam Rush wrote:
> I read on Sheldon Brown's website that bicycles with spoon brakes were
> manufactured until quite late in the developing world (70's, 80's).
> I've also seen some talk on the Internet about relatively late Austrian
> (?) bicycles with spoon brakes, as well.
>
> Does anybody have some links or information on these?

I don't know about "manufactured", but here's a newer bike with a spoon
front brake:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/leecommadennis/110272197/in/photostream/

Jeff

Marian
March 21st 06, 04:31 PM
JeffWills wrote:
> Adam Rush wrote:
> > I read on Sheldon Brown's website that bicycles with spoon brakes were
> > manufactured until quite late in the developing world (70's, 80's).
> > I've also seen some talk on the Internet about relatively late Austrian
> > (?) bicycles with spoon brakes, as well.
> >
> > Does anybody have some links or information on these?
>
> I don't know about "manufactured", but here's a newer bike with a spoon
> front brake:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/leecommadennis/110272197/in/photostream/

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/page/?o=aw&page_id=31081&v=du
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/page/?o=aw&page_id=30732&v=k0

I should have a better spoon brake trike, another city bike, two more
parking lots, and captions for all my new stuff up by tomorrow evening.

-M

Adam Rush
March 21st 06, 05:06 PM
Marian, you are a wonder man, and I want to have your babies.

Okay, maybe that was a little too enthusiastic...

March 21st 06, 07:01 PM
Marian Rosenberg writes:

>>> I read on Sheldon Brown's website that bicycles with spoon brakes
>>> were manufactured until quite late in the developing world (70's,
>>> 80's). I've also seen some talk on the Internet about relatively
>>> late Austrian (?) bicycles with spoon brakes, as well.

>>> Does anybody have some links or information on these?

>> I don't know about "manufactured", but here's a newer bike with a
>> spoon front brake:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leecommadennis/110272197/in/photostream/

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/page/?o=aw&page_id=31081&v=du
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/page/?o=aw&page_id=30732&v=k0

> I should have a better spoon brake trike, another city bike, two more
> parking lots, and captions for all my new stuff up by tomorrow evening.

Nice pictures!

I suppose these are useful, there where they are used, but they don't
qualify as much more than parking brakes since they have little
capacity to dissipate energy, the principal feature of a running
brake. If used to descend a steep road, they produce mainly smoke and
shredded rubber, so let's not wax about their use by riders in this
forum.

Jobst Brandt

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home