PDA

View Full Version : I did it for you Bleve... ;-P

Travis
March 20th 06, 03:28 PM
In the Italian import bike thread, someone suggested I check out a
Perth triathlon club "bikes for sale" page, where there were a couple
of second hand bikes in my size.

Anyway, there was a Trek 2300 with 9sp Ultegra going quite cheap and I
went round to look at it. While the bike has a fair few cosmetic
blemishes it was in excellent mechanical condition and hasn't ever been
dropped, plus the seller also had one and a half spare Ultegra casettes
he was willing to throw in. I got it for $1,400, which is the same
price they usually trade at on ebay except I didn't pay any shipping
costs and was able to take it home straight away.

Anyway, I got the bike, it fits well, rides well, shifts well, is
almost ludicrously lightweight compared to what I've been riding around
on and is only a drink bottle heavier than a Madone.

When the supply of 9sp ultegra bits runs out maybe I'll upgrade to a
10sp with some of the half price boxed and unused components that go
all the time on ebay, or bit the bullet and buy them at recommended
retail.

In the mean time, I've finally gotten myself a more than half decent
bike, and the discussions of "is this bike I saw on ebay any good" are
now officially over.

:-)

Travis

Donga
March 20th 06, 09:22 PM
Travis:
>the discussions of "is this bike I saw on ebay any good" are now officially over.

I'm just waiting for the discussions on shoes, pedals, helmets, knicks,
lights, energy bars...!
;-)

Donga

warrwych
March 20th 06, 10:08 PM
Travis Wrote:
> In the Italian import bike thread, someone suggested I check out a
> Perth triathlon club "bikes for sale" page, where there were a couple
> of second hand bikes in my size.
>
> Anyway, there was a Trek 2300 with 9sp Ultegra going quite cheap and I
> went round to look at it. While the bike has a fair few cosmetic
> blemishes it was in excellent mechanical condition and hasn't ever
> been
> dropped, plus the seller also had one and a half spare Ultegra
> casettes
> he was willing to throw in. I got it for $1,400, which is the same
> price they usually trade at on ebay except I didn't pay any shipping
> costs and was able to take it home straight away.
>
> Anyway, I got the bike, it fits well, rides well, shifts well, is
> almost ludicrously lightweight compared to what I've been riding
> around
> on and is only a drink bottle heavier than a Madone.
>
> When the supply of 9sp ultegra bits runs out maybe I'll upgrade to a
> 10sp with some of the half price boxed and unused components that go
> all the time on ebay, or bit the bullet and buy them at recommended
> retail.
>
> In the mean time, I've finally gotten myself a more than half decent
> bike, and the discussions of "is this bike I saw on ebay any good" are
> now officially over.
>
> :-)
>
> Travis

Congratulations Travis! Enjoy your new ride. :)

--
warrwych

Bleve
March 20th 06, 10:11 PM
Travis wrote:

> In the mean time, I've finally gotten myself a more than half decent
> bike, and the discussions of "is this bike I saw on ebay any good" are
> now officially over.

woo hoo!

petulance
March 20th 06, 10:13 PM
Travis wrote:
> In the Italian import bike thread, someone suggested I check out a
> Perth triathlon club "bikes for sale" page, where there were a couple
> of second hand bikes in my size.
>
> Anyway, there was a Trek 2300 with 9sp Ultegra going quite cheap and I
> went round to look at it. While the bike has a fair few cosmetic
> blemishes it was in excellent mechanical condition and hasn't ever been
> dropped, plus the seller also had one and a half spare Ultegra casettes
> he was willing to throw in. I got it for $1,400, which is the same
> price they usually trade at on ebay except I didn't pay any shipping
> costs and was able to take it home straight away.
>
> Anyway, I got the bike, it fits well, rides well, shifts well, is
> almost ludicrously lightweight compared to what I've been riding around
> on and is only a drink bottle heavier than a Madone.

At last!!!

:)

I was in the same situation as you last year (with a much smaller
budget). I was waiting for the right bike to appear second hand as I
couldn't afford to fork out $2000 for a new road bike. I ended up
getting mine second hand via Ebay (sort of, I contacted the seller off
list when the bike didn't attract a single bid).

What are you using for shoes and pedals?

Make sure you get the bike properly set up by a good bike shop. And if
you have never ridden clipless before, practice, practice, practice
before riding on the road!

I remember stopping at the lights the first time I rode clipless and
realised I was still clipped in just as I was tilting over ...

Now that you have got your bike, go out and ride it!

Travis
March 20th 06, 11:12 PM
petulance wrote:

> What are you using for shoes and pedals?

Its got some Look pedals, which the seller told me were of a common
type. I found last night that its not impossible to ride the thing in
ordinary sneakers, but I'm off to the LBS this morning to buy some
shoes.

> Make sure you get the bike properly set up by a good bike shop. And if
> you have never ridden clipless before, practice, practice, practice
> before riding on the road!

I guess that would mean doing a few laps of the LBS bike shop.... :-)

> I remember stopping at the lights the first time I rode clipless and
> realised I was still clipped in just as I was tilting over ...

I'll tell ya in 24hrs whether that happens to me.

> Now that you have got your bike, go out and ride it!

Gee, why didn't I think of that? See, its handy practical advice like
this that keeps me coming back to aus.bicycles. ;-)

Travis

Travis
March 20th 06, 11:16 PM
Donga wrote:
> Travis:
> >the discussions of "is this bike I saw on ebay any good" are now officially over.
>
> I'm just waiting for the discussions on shoes, pedals, helmets, knicks,
> lights, energy bars...!
> ;-)

No doubt Bleve will be happy to know that I already own most of that
stuff.

Travis

jh
March 20th 06, 11:35 PM
Travis wrote:
> petulance wrote:
>

>>What are you using for shoes and pedals?
>

> Its got some Look pedals, which the seller told me were of a common
> type. I found last night that its not impossible to ride the thing in
> ordinary sneakers, but I'm off to the LBS this morning to buy some
> shoes.
>
>>Make sure you get the bike properly set up by a good bike shop. And if
>>you have never ridden clipless before, practice, practice, practice
>>before riding on the road!
>

> I guess that would mean doing a few laps of the LBS bike shop.... :-)
>
>>I remember stopping at the lights the first time I rode clipless and
>>realised I was still clipped in just as I was tilting over ...
>

> I'll tell ya in 24hrs whether that happens to me.
>

>>Now that you have got your bike, go out and ride it!
>

> Gee, why didn't I think of that? See, its handy practical advice like
> this that keeps me coming back to aus.bicycles. ;-)
>
> Travis

If you it has got Look pedals, and you are going to stay with those, you
will need some Look cleats, these come in Red (these have 'float' that
allow some side to side movement of your heel, 9 degrees I think) and
Black (these have no float), it is a personal thing but I would get the
Red cleats. Check the shoes are Look compatible.

jh

Donga
March 20th 06, 11:38 PM
jh:
>If you it has got Look pedals, and you are going to stay with those, ...

....or seeing as you are using the bike for commuting, dump the Looks
and get some pedals designed for easy walking on the cleats. Good
examples are Crank Bros and SPD originals and clones. Looks are
horrible for walking on. Also they are not too easy to clip into, as
the pedal can tend to tip upside down.

Donga

dtmeister
March 20th 06, 11:40 PM
Travis > wrote:
> In the Italian import bike thread, someone suggested I check out a
> Perth triathlon club "bikes for sale" page, where there were a couple
> of second hand bikes in my size.
>
> Anyway, there was a Trek 2300 with 9sp Ultegra going quite cheap and I
> went round to look at it. While the bike has a fair few cosmetic
> blemishes it was in excellent mechanical condition and hasn't ever been
> dropped, plus the seller also had one and a half spare Ultegra casettes
> he was willing to throw in. I got it for $1,400, which is the same

:) Cool. That's the same as my bike. And I'm in Perth too. Haven't seen
another so far, even after a close look during the freeway bike hike.
It's a good bike, no complaints.

--
..dt

Bleve
March 21st 06, 12:05 AM
Travis wrote:
> petulance wrote:
>

> > What are you using for shoes and pedals?
>
> Its got some Look pedals, which the seller told me were of a common
> type. I found last night that its not impossible to ride the thing in
> ordinary sneakers, but I'm off to the LBS this morning to buy some
> shoes.
> >
> > Make sure you get the bike properly set up by a good bike shop. And if
> > you have never ridden clipless before, practice, practice, practice
> > before riding on the road!
>
> I guess that would mean doing a few laps of the LBS bike shop.... :-)

The golden rule is "clip out early and often". It's not mandatory to
have a cleat incident, but it's far more common than it needs to be.
Think ahead - and soon enough it'll just be a reflex. I get funny
looks when I testride bikes at the LBS I work at, as I always flick my
ankle out, even on platform pedals. Not a bad habit to have, I think.
If you think you might have to unclip, unclip, but keep your foot on
the pedal so you can clip in again quickly by just rolling forwards :)

Bleve
March 21st 06, 12:29 AM
Travis wrote:
> In the Italian import bike thread, someone suggested I check out a
> Perth triathlon club "bikes for sale" page, where there were a couple
> of second hand bikes in my size.
>
> Anyway, there was a Trek 2300 with 9sp Ultegra going quite cheap and I
> went round to look at it. While the bike has a fair few cosmetic
> blemishes it was in excellent mechanical condition and hasn't ever been
> dropped, plus the seller also had one and a half spare Ultegra casettes
> he was willing to throw in. I got it for $1,400, which is the same
> price they usually trade at on ebay except I didn't pay any shipping
> costs and was able to take it home straight away.

With this bike (it's the alloy lugged Carbon Fibre tube one?) have a
close look at two things (and get the original purchaser's receipt.
Trek won't check all that closely if you have the original invoice).
Check that the alloy/carbon joins are not unbonded. You can do this by
putting the bike on a sturdy stand, hanging from the top tube, and
pushing down on a pedal while holding your finger/thumb over the
junction, feeling for any movement. There should be none. If there's
any, the frame is unbonding and Trek will probably replace it with a
new one *if* you have the original receipt. We have an old 2300 in the
shop at the moment with this problem. I think the 2300 went through a
number of forms so this may not be the same bike though.

Also check for water in the bottom bracket shell. Or, when you take it
to your LBS to get fitted for you and checked out, make sure they check
that. Trek don't have a drain hole and the frame can suffer from water
ingress, which isn't a huge problem, but can cause corrosion of metal
parts that are exposed to the water but invisable to the eye (BB,
mainly).

Zebee Johnstone
March 21st 06, 01:28 AM
In aus.bicycle on 20 Mar 2006 15:12:18 -0800
Travis > wrote:

>> I remember stopping at the lights the first time I rode clipless and
>> realised I was still clipped in just as I was tilting over ...
>
> I'll tell ya in 24hrs whether that happens to me.

Clip out in plenty of time. You can do it with a small enough
movement that no one will notice....

It wasn't lights that did me in, it was tight turns at zero kmh.
twice.

Zebee

sinus
March 21st 06, 01:34 AM
Zebee Johnstone Wrote:

> It wasn't lights that did me in, it was tight turns at zero kmh.
> twice.

Isn't that a track stand ;)

--
sinus

Zebee Johnstone
March 21st 06, 01:59 AM
In aus.bicycle on Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:34:50 +1100
sinus > wrote:

> Zebee Johnstone Wrote:
>>
>> It wasn't lights that did me in, it was tight turns at zero kmh.
>> twice.
>>

> Isn't that a track stand ;)

You mean a track sit? :)

Zebee

Travis
March 21st 06, 04:14 AM
Donga wrote:
> jh:
> >If you it has got Look pedals, and you are going to stay with those, ...
>
> ...or seeing as you are using the bike for commuting, dump the Looks
> and get some pedals designed for easy walking on the cleats.

I went to the LBS today to try on some shoes. They didn't have them in
my size, but I did walk around a bit in ones which were one size too
small and it wasn't unendurable considering that I've only got to walk
a very short distance with my bike shoes.

So I rode to work today wearing ordinary sneakers and pedaling with the
back of the pedals. While it wasn't particularly comfortable, I felt
pressure on the arches of my feet where I don't normally feel pressure,
it was ok. I'll keep riding this way until Saturday when I'm going in
to the shop to pick up my shoes and drop the bike in for a service.

Travis

TimC
March 22nd 06, 10:28 AM
On 2006-03-21, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
> In aus.bicycle on Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:34:50 +1100
> sinus > wrote:
>>
>> Zebee Johnstone Wrote:
>>>
>>> It wasn't lights that did me in, it was tight turns at zero kmh.
>>> twice.
>>>

>> Isn't that a track stand ;)
>
> You mean a track sit? :)

I prefer the track lay down :)

--
TimC
> As you know, Linus took the word the penguins kept saying over and
> over again, rot13'ed it, and used that as the name of his OS.
So, who's going to record this .au file:
"Hello, my name is Yvahf Gbeinyqf, and I pronounce yvahk, yvahk."
-- Anthony de Boer && Michel Buijsman in ASR

Stuart Lamble
March 22nd 06, 10:22 PM
On 2006-03-22, TimC > wrote:
> On 2006-03-21, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
>> In aus.bicycle on Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:34:50 +1100
>> sinus > wrote:

>>> Isn't that a track stand ;)
>>
>> You mean a track sit? :)
>
> I prefer the track lay down :)

Hang on. When did this thread suddenly become about 500?

(Fondest memory of that game: five handed match. I piggy backed all the
way to a score of about 480 or so, then called for an open misere. Holes
all over the place, and I *still* won. :)

JayWoo
March 23rd 06, 10:55 PM
Travis Wrote:

> Anyway, there was a Trek 2300 with 9sp Ultegra going quite cheap and I
> went round to look at it. While the bike has a fair few cosmetic
> blemishes it was in excellent mechanical condition and hasn't ever been
> dropped, plus the seller also had one and a half spare Ultegra casettes
> he was willing to throw in.
I got this pic sent to me today from a guy in a bunch I roll with;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/116938936/
He said he was 'just riding along'.:(

Jay "All bikes break sometime" Woo

--