PDA

View Full Version : having problems taking your bike on a train?

flyingdutch
March 22nd 06, 02:12 AM
A rail Co (southern) in UK has banned bikes/even folders recently.

as a protest a crowd got on with these cardboard bikes.
bwahahahahahhah

weight weeneies will surely follow...

--
flyingdutch

EuanB
March 22nd 06, 02:51 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> A rail Co (southern) in UK has banned bikes/even folders recently.
>
> as a protest a crowd got on with these cardboard bikes.
> bwahahahahahhah
>
> weight weeneies will surely follow...

Taking a bike on anything approaching a busy train is an uncomfortable
experience in my very limited experience.

Connex prefer you to use the space at the rear of the train with the
fold up seats to stack your bikes, but this irks other passangers as
it's using up seat space.

The alternative is to stand with it in the door way which
inconveniences everyone getting on and off there or hook the front
wheel in to the handrail by the door which doesn't take up as much
space but is frowned on by Connex.

I've been following this on uk.rec.cycling in the past, the suggestion
from government is to buy two bikes, leaving the unused one at the
station. Witnessing the fate of bicycles left at rail stations across
the country dissuades me from that course, even if it is a legitimate
N+1 (N+N even?)

--
EuanB

Stuart Lamble
March 22nd 06, 03:20 AM
On 2006-03-22, EuanB > wrote:
> I've been following this on uk.rec.cycling in the past, the suggestion
> from government is to buy two bikes, leaving the unused one at the
> station. Witnessing the fate of bicycles left at rail stations across
> the country dissuades me from that course, even if it is a legitimate
> N+1 (N+N even?)

Exploit the handy dandy bicycle lockers that they've installed at a
large number of (non-cbd) stations, perhaps?

But yes, not an option that I'd be happy about, even with a hard rubbish
single speed at both ends.

Phillip Brown
March 22nd 06, 03:34 AM
On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:51:39 +1100, EuanB wrote:

> flyingdutch Wrote:
>> A rail Co (southern) in UK has banned bikes/even folders recently.
>>
>> as a protest a crowd got on with these cardboard bikes.
>> bwahahahahahhah
>>
>> weight weeneies will surely follow...
>
> Taking a bike on anything approaching a busy train is an uncomfortable
> experience in my very limited experience.
>
> Connex prefer you to use the space at the rear of the train with the
> fold up seats to stack your bikes, but this irks other passangers as
> it's using up seat space.
>
> The alternative is to stand with it in the door way which
> inconveniences everyone getting on and off there or hook the front
> wheel in to the handrail by the door which doesn't take up as much
> space but is frowned on by Connex.
>
> I've been following this on uk.rec.cycling in the past, the suggestion
> from government is to buy two bikes, leaving the unused one at the
> station. Witnessing the fate of bicycles left at rail stations across
> the country dissuades me from that course, even if it is a legitimate
> N+1 (N+N even?)

Or you could just ride the thing, avoiding the train part altogether....

--

phillip brown

"**** doesn't just happen. there is always an ass-hole involved"

Phillip Brown
March 22nd 06, 04:21 AM
On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:49:13 +1100, EuanB wrote:

> Phillip Brown Wrote:
>>
>> > I've been following this on uk.rec.cycling in the past, the
>> suggestion
>> > from government is to buy two bikes, leaving the unused one at the
>> > station. Witnessing the fate of bicycles left at rail stations
>> across
>> > the country dissuades me from that course, even if it is a
>> legitimate
>> > N+1 (N+N even?)
>>
>> Or you could just ride the thing, avoiding the train part
>> altogether....
>>

> I do, thirty kms each way every day.

I wasn't having a go at you specifically. It was more like a 'royal' you.

--

phillip brown

"**** doesn't just happen. there is always an ass-hole involved"

Jules
March 22nd 06, 06:30 AM
> station. Witnessing the fate of bicycles left at rail stations across
> the country dissuades me from that course, even if it is a legitimate
> N+1 (N+N even?)

Have you seen what happens to bikes left locked up anywhere in public in
London for more than 30 minutes?

I just hope the junkies here don't cotton on to what even a crap bikes'
worth of components can fetch on ebay.

Jules

Terry Collins
March 22nd 06, 07:35 AM
Phillip Brown wrote:

> Or you could just ride the thing, avoiding the train part altogether....

Sadly, never an option in my employment history.
Although a few times I was paid to ride my bicycle and it wasn't as a
courier either {:-).

cfsmtb
March 23rd 06, 11:23 PM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> A rail Co (southern) in UK has banned bikes/even folders recently.
>
> as a protest a crowd got on with these cardboard bikes.
> bwahahahahahhah
>
> weight weeneies will surely follow...

Wasn't there a similar protest up in Sydney last year? Here's
interesting info via recent MBTC news about travelling via a group:

******************************
4. Organising group travel discounts on Met trains

Norm Appleby gleaned this information on how to minimise expense for
group travel on Met trains. It was obtained for possible use by the
Darebin BUG mid week riding group and is slanted towards the senior
members of that group. It does appear to offer significant savings for
weekday or Saturday rail travel,
particularly all-day Zones 1, 2 and 3.

To qualify for group travel the group needs to be a group of twelve
adults or more.

Tickets need to be purchased the day before the day of travel. (This
creates a problem of course as one person has to purchase all the
tickets and then hope that everyone turns up the next day for the
ride.) Group travel tickets can only be purchased from Premium stations
(e.g. Heidelberg, Ivanhoe or Clifton Hill).

Cost per person (Fullfare or senior)
For Zones 1 + 2 = $5.00 (for all day)
For Zones 1 + 2 + 3 = $5.50 (for all day)

If the group of people had six full fare and six seniors you could not
buy the six at group rate and the other six at the Senior's rate.
Alternatively, if you had twelve adults and six seniors, then the
seniors could buy their own senior ($3) tickets.

Note that the Met does not offer two-hour Group bookings. The only
two-hour tickets are the standard ones. Full fare ticket costs are:
For Zones 1 + 2 = $5.20
For Zones 1 + 2 + 3 = $7.20

By far, the cheapest group travel option for Zones 1+2+3 for everyone
is to travel on Sunday and use the Sunday Saver ticket - which costs
everyone $2.50!

--
cfsmtb

Google