PDA

View Full Version : Quote of the games

Phillip Brown
March 22nd 06, 02:46 AM
Gordon McCauley after getting bronze in ITT

"I actually rode out above my target heart rate of 170 beats. I was up
around the 180 to 182 beats per minute. But I just thought `Oh ********,
just go with it.'"
--

phillip brown

"**** doesn't just happen. there is always an ass-hole involved"

warrwych
March 22nd 06, 03:04 AM
Phillip Brown Wrote:
> Gordon McCauley after getting bronze in ITT
>
> "I actually rode out above my target heart rate of 170 beats. I was up
> around the 180 to 182 beats per minute. But I just thought `Oh
> ********,
> just go with it.'"
> --
>
> phillip brown
>
> "**** doesn't just happen. there is always an ass-hole involved"

and there in lies the value of racing with a HR monitor - the capacity
to totally ignore it! :D

--
warrwych

DeF
March 22nd 06, 04:01 AM
warrwych wrote:
> Phillip Brown Wrote:
>> Gordon McCauley after getting bronze in ITT
>>
>> "I actually rode out above my target heart rate of 170 beats. I was up
>> around the 180 to 182 beats per minute. But I just thought `Oh
>> ********,
>> just go with it.'"
>> --
>>
>> phillip brown
>>
>> "**** doesn't just happen. there is always an ass-hole involved"
>
> and there in lies the value of racing with a HR monitor - the capacity
> to totally ignore it! :D

It's a cracker of a quote - glad they put it in the paper.
Wonder if it made any of the UK press with their sensibilities
about rude words?

I use an HRM and my nominal max is 179bpm (you can now work out
my age...). I remember crawling up a hill in a vets handicap race
in Adelaide in January, looking down at it and seeing 175bpm.
I'd not seen 175bpm ever before. I was holding it together so
I just kept going. Amazing what the body will do when it thinks
it has to.

DeF.

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

gumby
March 22nd 06, 05:53 AM
The major consideration when exerting yourself is 'feel'. How do you
feel when putting in the effort? I have seen 190 a couple of times
when I have gone off the front of a group in a crit, and when
sprinting. Both times 'feel' caused me to do different things, off the
front I felt like crap and I dropped back in, sprinting I just said,
'oh ******** to that and go for it'
This happens especially in time trials, longer time trials I will try
and maintain 175-180, but will drop lower if I feel like crap.
Then of course there is a senior cyclist with a heart condition I know.
He has to nominally hold 130 because of his pacemaker, during a recent
event he saw 160 and thought he should not push it. He said he felt
fine while riding it was a hot day, it was just he didn't like the
value of the numbers. He is fine now, still, and has competed in other
events.

Training in specified heart rate zones has been shown to have some
benefit I believe. certainly the supporting literature from Polar
asserts this, but they would say that wouldnt they?
Steven

Theo Bekkers
March 22nd 06, 11:54 PM
Grazza wrote:

> I rode Mount St up to King's Park a couple of weeks ago and my HR got
> up to 190. I was shocked as I felt the best I'd ever done at the top
> of this short sharp climb.

My first ever car needed a change down to first gear to get up Mount St.

Theo

cfsmtb
March 23rd 06, 11:05 PM
Quote of the games?

The non-cycling quote has to belong to Darrell Eastlake last Sunday
night during the Womens Weightlifting - 63kg Class. Darrell suitably
came out with this zinger that had both Bikesoiler & I cringing.

"Nothing feels as good as a nice snatch - and that was one of them"

Ah Darrell the Human Bellows. We don't get to hear him in Melbourne all
that often. And thank fcuk for that.

--
cfsmtb

warrwych
March 23rd 06, 11:13 PM
cfsmtb Wrote:
> Quote of the games?
>
> The non-cycling quote has to belong to Darrell Eastlake last Sunday
> night during the Womens Weightlifting - 63kg Class. Darrell suitably
> came out with this zinger that had both Bikesoiler & I cringing.
>
> "Nothing feels as good as a nice snatch - and that was one of them"
>
> Ah Darrell the Human Bellows. We don't get to hear him in Melbourne all
> that often. And thank fcuk for that.

Why do they keep that man on? He is obnoxious (I have heard stories of
his antics at functions) and an embarassment. Does he have tenure or
something????

--
warrwych

Terry Collins
March 24th 06, 12:43 AM
warrwych wrote:

> Why do they keep that man on? He is obnoxious (I have heard stories of
> his antics at functions) and an embarassment. Does he have tenure or
> something????

As ?John Svenson (?) the runner said, "its all about entertainment and
if I couldn't do this, I'd have to get a job" (or something like that.

DE is kept around because he is what he is.
Unfortunately!

DeF
March 24th 06, 12:45 AM
warrwych wrote:
> cfsmtb Wrote:
>> Quote of the games?
>>
>> The non-cycling quote has to belong to Darrell Eastlake last Sunday
>> night during the Womens Weightlifting - 63kg Class. Darrell suitably
>> came out with this zinger that had both Bikesoiler & I cringing.
>>
>> "Nothing feels as good as a nice snatch - and that was one of them"
>>
>> Ah Darrell the Human Bellows. We don't get to hear him in Melbourne all
>> that often. And thank fcuk for that.
>
> Why do they keep that man on? He is obnoxious (I have heard stories of
> his antics at functions) and an embarassment. Does he have tenure or
> something????

I'm not sure why, but I really enjoy watching the weightlifting,
there is something visceral about it. However, that drop-kick
Eastlake is such an unalloyed ****** that I watch with the sound
turned down. His vocab is pathetic, most of his "commentary"
(and I used that word advisedly) consists of "ooorrrrr" and
"aaaaahhhh". Pathetic.

Watching those two Indian women lifting more than my weight above
their heads was amazing.

DeF

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home