PDA

View Full Version : Tire Question

Road Man
March 22nd 06, 12:13 PM
I have a Trek 610 with 700C wheels using ol' Mavic MA-40 rims. I have
2 questions:

What's the widest tire the rim can mount properly (there's lots of
frame clearance)?

What high-thread count tires are recommended for light touring and
in-town errand and impulse riding (some unpaved, some rain, not for
perfect roads)?

Thanks in advance,

Ken Freeman

Ozark Bicycle
March 22nd 06, 01:43 PM
Road Man wrote:
> I have a Trek 610 with 700C wheels using ol' Mavic MA-40 rims. I have
> 2 questions:
>
> What's the widest tire the rim can mount properly (there's lots of
> frame clearance)?

I have used 700x35 Michelin Hi-Lite tours (long discontinued) on a pair
of MA-2s (the silver cousin of the MA-40). I'm not sure that was the
widest tire possible, but I used that combo for many years and many,
many miles. More recently, I have mounted a pair of Panaracer Pasela
700x35 on those rims. Paselas run a bit narrow, so I'm pretty sure the
harder-to-find Pasela 700x37 will fit just fine, too.

> What high-thread count tires are recommended for light touring and
> in-town errand and impulse riding (some unpaved, some rain, not for
> perfect roads)?

Art Harris
March 22nd 06, 01:51 PM
Ken Freeman wrote:

> I have a Trek 610 with 700C wheels using ol' Mavic MA-40 rims. I have
> 2 questions:

> What's the widest tire the rim can mount properly (there's lots of
> frame clearance)?

700 x 32 should be no problem if you have enough frame clearance.

> What high-thread count tires are recommended for light touring and
> in-town errand and impulse riding (some unpaved, some rain, not for
> perfect roads)?

Panaracer Pasela (127 tpi). These may run slightly narrower that the
label indicates. See:

http://tinyurl.com/omtst

Art Harris

Qui si parla Campagnolo
March 22nd 06, 02:56 PM
Road Man wrote:
> I have a Trek 610 with 700C wheels using ol' Mavic MA-40 rims. I have
> 2 questions:
>
> What's the widest tire the rim can mount properly (there's lots of
> frame clearance)?

Ascwide as the frame can handle......

> What high-thread count tires are recommended for light touring and
> in-town errand and impulse riding (some unpaved, some rain, not for
> perfect roads)?

Conti Top Touring

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ken Freeman

G.T.
March 22nd 06, 06:45 PM
Road Man wrote:
> I have a Trek 610 with 700C wheels using ol' Mavic MA-40 rims. I have
> 2 questions:
>
> What's the widest tire the rim can mount properly (there's lots of
> frame clearance)?

I've run 55mm/2.1" tires on MA-2s, same dimension rims. So if you have
clearance you can run just about any 700c tires you can find.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

Donald Gillies
March 23rd 06, 02:43 AM
"Road Man" > writes:

>I have a Trek 610 with 700C wheels using ol' Mavic MA-40 rims. I have
>2 questions:

I have a Trek 510, vintage 1985, with 27 1 1/4 (28mm) specialized
armadillo tires and about 3/4" clearance on my campy triomphe
calipers. If you have similar sidepull calipers and clearance
geometry, you can probably mount 32mm tires without problems.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

41
March 24th 06, 05:33 AM
Art Harris wrote:

> Panaracer Pasela (127 tpi). These may run slightly narrower that the
> label indicates. See:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/omtst

Paselae are 66tpi.e

Google