PDA

View Full Version : frame deflection measurements - any numbers?

March 22nd 06, 01:09 PM
After reading the REI bike thread, I was wondering - somebody must have
some numbers about the vertical stiffness of frames. If there aren't,
is there anybody with access to bikes and a viable testing setup? All
the arguments about the stiffness of the bicycle structure, and how
small the differences in materials, s-bends, "zertz" inserts etc... are
based on deduction, but not real numbers. I believe, and would wager
untold amounts that the "tire supremacy" argument is sound, and that
Jim Beam blows a lot of hot air (though I'm not convinced he isn't just
trying to make a big joke by going against all sense and consensus for
fun) about how huge an effect it has (dental disaster vs. sofa from his
al to steel frames...), though I'm not convinced it isn't really Jobst
having everyone on.

So, a Rinard type deflection test for frames, but in the other plane?
Anyone know of anything?

Whitfit

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home