PDA

View Full Version : Cycle-Ops Magneto squeaks

Ted
March 22nd 06, 06:04 PM
My new Cycle-Ops Magneto squeaks. It is otherwise pretty quiet. Can I
oil the thing or would that foul up some of the innards? Where would
you place the oil, and would silicone spray be the lubricant of choice?

Ted.

bluetail
March 26th 06, 03:28 AM
Ted wrote:
> My new Cycle-Ops Magneto squeaks. It is otherwise pretty quiet. Can I
> oil the thing or would that foul up some of the innards? Where would
> you place the oil, and would silicone spray be the lubricant of choice?
>
> Ted.

I've had the same problem with the same product (purchased 11/05) &
tried squirting WD-40 into anything that seemed to rotate & all I have
to show for it is a roostertail grease stain on the basement floor.

It still squeaks, so am also interested in others' suggestions for a
cure.

Peter Cole
March 26th 06, 01:48 PM
bluetail wrote:
> Ted wrote:
>> My new Cycle-Ops Magneto squeaks. It is otherwise pretty quiet. Can I
>> oil the thing or would that foul up some of the innards? Where would
>> you place the oil, and would silicone spray be the lubricant of choice?
>>
>> Ted.
>
> I've had the same problem with the same product (purchased 11/05) &
> tried squirting WD-40 into anything that seemed to rotate & all I have
> to show for it is a roostertail grease stain on the basement floor.
>
> It still squeaks, so am also interested in others' suggestions for a
> cure.

I have a Blackburn mag trainer that doesn't squeak. The thing I like
about mags is their simplicity. Mine has a shaft/flywheel on bearing
(cartridge ball bearing) blocks. The resistance is from an aluminum
plate on the shaft that spins between 2 stationary plates, covered with
what look like refrigerator magnets. Increasing resistance involves just
moving the plates closer.

I took mine apart when it developed a scraping noise and found the set
screw on the rotating plate had loosened. It struck me then that it
looked like about the only thing that could have gone wrong with such a
simple device. Likewise, my guess is that a squeak would be easy to
track down -- there are so few moving parts. Open it up & take a look.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home