PDA

View Full Version : track vs road front hubs

E Goforth
March 23rd 06, 12:29 AM
Hello,

Is there any difference between a track and road front hub other than
hollow versus solids axles? The spacing's the same right?

-Eric

David L. Johnson
March 23rd 06, 01:35 AM
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 00:29:17 +0000, E Goforth wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there any difference between a track and road front hub other than
> hollow versus solids axles? The spacing's the same right?

Yes, the spacing is the same. No real difference, aside from the axle.
The old Campy hubs that I have are identical, except for the axle and the
fact that the road hubs have a grease port, while the track hubs do not.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand
_`\(,_ | mathematics.
(_)/ (_) |

landotter
March 23rd 06, 02:19 AM
E Goforth wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there any difference between a track and road front hub other than
> hollow versus solids axles? The spacing's the same right?

Often track hubs have larger flanges. I doubt there's any real benefit
to small or large, but I think large flange looks cool. :-P

March 23rd 06, 03:19 AM
someone writes:

>> Is there any difference between a track and road front hub other
>> than hollow versus solids axles? The spacing's the same right?

> Often track hubs have larger flanges. I doubt there's any real
> benefit to small or large, but I think large flange looks cool.

The reason for large flange hubs on track bicycles was once so that
spokes could be replaced without taking off the sprocket, similarly,
old coaster brake bicycles had a slot in the sprocket for the same
purpose. Of course true believers were sure that the enormous torque
generated by track riders could only be transmitted by a large flange
hub, tangentially spoked. Wheel stress analyses and the advent of the
under geared MTB (18t front - 30t rear)disprove that BS readily.

Jobst Brandt

Nate Knutson
March 23rd 06, 10:13 AM
E Goforth wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there any difference between a track and road front hub other than
> hollow versus solids axles? The spacing's the same right?
>
> -Eric

It hasn't been mentioned yet that often track hubs have less sealing
than other types of hub. Opinions vary on how much this matters.

John Dacey
March 23rd 06, 04:57 PM
“Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis” - Nicholas Borbonius

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 00:29:17 GMT, E Goforth > wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Is there any difference between a track and road front hub other than
>hollow versus solids axles?

You'll have to find another way to distinguish them. There's neither
rule nor function precluding track hubs from having hollow axles, and
many do.

> The spacing's the same right?

Apart from a very few hub models produced to satisfy the special needs
of those aspirants to genius who've concocted forks with non-standard
spacing, the common track front OLN specification is 100 mm., same as
normal road hubs.

John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983
Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996
http://www.businesscycles.com

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home