PDA

View Full Version : Re: Teach an old guy about "new frame sizing"

Mark Hickey
March 23rd 06, 02:25 AM
Bob > wrote:

>So, what's the advantage in a smaller frame and more extension of the
>other components? I would think that in general, a larger frame with
>smaller extensions will be stiffer and more desirable.

It's a bit more complicated than that.

For every frame, there's an "ideal" stem length. If you have to
exceed this, handling suffers. If you need a considerably shorter
stem to get the proper fit, the handling won't suffer as much, but it
won't be perfect either.

Standover clearance is nice - many ride without any, but all other
things being equal, it's always good to have some.

The real difference in "fit" between frames of different sizes is in
the head tube length. This will determine the vertical adjustment
range of the bars. A taller frame will have a handlebar height range
that's higher than a smaller frame.

There are those who'll claim weight savings on a small frame, but
you're going to offset that with a longer stem and potentially longer
seat post (which will also give you back the flex you avoid in the the
smaller frame - not that it's usually important).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame