PDA

View Full Version : rear fixed brake

lybarra
March 23rd 06, 07:12 AM
How do you disconnect the fixed rear brake on a bicycle? My son wants the
pedals to turn freely backwards.

JeffWills
March 23rd 06, 07:22 AM
lybarra wrote:
> How do you disconnect the fixed rear brake on a bicycle? My son wants the
> pedals to turn freely backwards.

I think you're describing converting a coaster-brake hub into a
freewheeling hub. I think this can be done by disassembling the hub
(there's instructions at
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=104 ) and then
reassembling it without the brake shoes. I've never done this (left the
brake shoes out, that is... I've rebuilt lots of coaster-brake hubs)
but it should work in theory.

I hope you're going to install a rear hand brake to take over for the
coaster brake. In fact, he should have two hand brakes on the bike for
safety's sake.

Jeff

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home