PDA

View Full Version : tightening a backspin

phlegm
March 27th 06, 06:21 AM
I've been able to fumble my way through 'backspins'
(http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling/skills/backspin.html) for a
while, so now I've been trying to tighten them up. The way I've been
doing them is that I start with my right foot forward and do a single
"idling-like" motion while twisting and turning my body 180 degrees to
the right. Then I pedal off backwards.

That seems to be the right motion, but I've seen good riders switch
from forward to backward riding almost instantaneously. Does anyone
have any tips for getting my slowly twisting backspin to a quicker,
snappier one?

--
phlegm
phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

TheoELind
March 27th 06, 06:37 AM
Practice.

--
TheoELind
TheoELind's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8872

phlegm
March 27th 06, 05:53 PM
Of course. :rolleyes:

But do I have the right technique? I could practice for years with the
wrong technique and never get it. I assume something has to change in
order to make it snappier, right? When I get it, will I make less of a
motion, or make the same motion only faster?

--
phlegm
phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

johnfoss
March 27th 06, 08:35 PM
It's hard to make useful comments without video. What you want in a
backspin (or frontspin) is the illusion of your body continuing in a
straight line while your wheel switches direction. If your upper body
slows down or if there is any jerky motion in the process, it takes
away from the optimum appearance of the trick. When doen smoothly, it's
like a "snap" in the wheel, while your body makes the necessary motions
to continue riding after you do it.

Hope that helps...

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

leo
March 29th 06, 04:57 AM
johnfoss wrote:
> It's hard to make useful comments without video.

You mean video of phlegm, or of the 'backspin'
(http://www.unicyclist.org/cont/play.cfm?pi=f320240backspin) (or
'frontspin'
(http://www.unicyclist.org/cont/play.cfm?pi=f320240frontspin))?

--
leo

leo vandewoestijne
*'+1 866-uni-cycl' (callto://+18668642925)
'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)

'subscribe' (http://www.unicyclist.org/cont/subscribe.cfm) to
'unicyclist.org' (http://www.unicyclist.org/)!*
leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224