PDA

View Full Version : MUni and UNICON

Ben Plotkin-Swing
March 27th 06, 07:11 AM
I think there have been some threads about this in the past, but I just
wanted to hear what the latest news is on MUni during and around
UNICON. Besides MUni and Trials competitions, I'm generally interested
in exploring the area and doing interesting riding. In particular, it
looks like I may be able to stay in Europe for a little while before
and and/or after the official UNICON dates, so I'm interested in
hearing from anybody who might know places to stay and interesting
places to go, or perhaps someone who is up for doing some more extended
MUni or climbing trips in the area.

Ben

--
Ben Plotkin-Swing

www.benps.com

Is there such thing as free wheel?
Ben Plotkin-Swing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/378

bbraf
March 27th 06, 05:19 PM
I know that we have plenty of good single trail in Switzerland. A very
good site (from Switzerland Tourism, which is available in English as
well), that helps finding detailed descriptions about mountain bike
tours:

- http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/hbFinder/bFinder.cfm

Here a sample tour in a region that I have been to on my racing bike
and that I know for its beauty:

- http://tinyurl.com/z8dr2

When you click on details, you get a map and a height profile of the
tour for some there is also GPS info.There is also a feature to
directly create PDF brochure for specific tours, here again as a sample
the PDF for this tour:

-
'http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/PDF/pdf_offer_cfm_enBike4Ticino29967610.pdf
' (http://tinyurl.com/parsa)

Pictures of tours: here you go, if this doesn't water your mouth, I
don't know what will:

- http://www.bike-explorer.ch/beg/pic_gallery/switzerland.htm

During UNICON we will have plenty of good MUni Tours. Just give us a
few more weeks to prepare the material.

--
bbraf

Hasta luego,
Franz

Webmaster 'UNICON XIII' (http://www.unicon13.ch/)
bbraf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/404

johnfoss
March 27th 06, 08:37 PM
Yum. This will help me determine if I bring a "proper" MUni (my Wilder)
or a "fast but weak" MUni (my 29er).

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

anso
March 27th 06, 11:25 PM
I don't know yet about Muni during Unicon but our association from Paris
will probably organise its annual Muni week right after Unicon in the
Jura mountains so really next to Switzerland.

Thieum talked about that in a post about Unicon :
http://tinyurl.com/ps3eu

Youcan find some pics of last year's trip, actually not so many pics of
us riding because... well... we were riding :
http://tinyurl.com/hxalk
You can't see the best part of the rides, the singletracks, 'cause the
photographer did not go there.

--
anso
anso's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/371

eyal
March 28th 06, 12:46 AM
Ben, I'm in the same boat. My friend Julian and I are planning to stick
around and travel for a week or two after unicon, and we hope to spend
some of that riding muni. We haven't researched trails or anything
yet, but we should keep each other in mind as resources or potential
travel buddies. In the meantime, the above links look really helpful.

--
eyal
eyal's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1613

nathan
March 28th 06, 04:59 AM
I've been asked to organize a set of Muni rides for Unicon 13 in
Switzerland this summer. I am planning 8 rides. The idea will be that
we'll take off in the morning by train/car, travel to the ride, do it,
and return for evening events. You could almost miss all the events
during the day and do nothing but Muni in the Swiss Alps if that's what
you wanted to do. Or just go one one or a few. There are only a couple
of these planned out in detail, but I'll post more info in the coming
weeks as they come together.

The main website is here: http://www.unicon13.ch/ And here is a sample
showing one of the planned rides: http://tinyurl.com/lqa8j

As for after the convention...I was thinking of staying a few days and
doing some more riding, location TBA. That will most likely be
unofficial.

---Nathan

PS Missed you in Moab this year Ben. Amazing that we were there this
morning!

--
nathan
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

Gilby
March 28th 06, 05:18 AM
anso wrote:
> I don't know yet about Muni during Unicon but our association from Paris
> will probably organise its annual Muni week right after Unicon in the
> Jura mountains so really next to Switzerland.

That definitely sounds like something to stay I need to stay later for
in Europe. Any idea when this event will be finalized? I still don't
have my airfare since I do not know how long I will stay there, but I
should get it soon.

Eyal and Ben, I'd be interested in doing some travel after UNICON,
whether on the mountain unicycle trails or just do tourist stuff. Maybe
we can set up a small group to tour with?

--
Gilby
Gilby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1

eyal
April 9th 06, 03:40 AM
argh. I just found out I only have 3 free days after unicon is over.
So I may not be able to stray too far. But I will also have time to
travel before (and possibly during?) unicon. So let's keep in touch
about it.

--
eyal
eyal's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1613