PDA

View Full Version : Power Grips Deform Feet?!?!

NYC XYZ
March 27th 06, 08:47 AM
A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!

And are there such things as heel clips? Basically, if the idea's only
to keep the feet from slipping off, why not have straps at the heel
instead of by the toe??

Peter Clinch
March 27th 06, 10:27 AM
NYC XYZ wrote:
> A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
> circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!

I imagine if PGs deformed feet then the manufacturer would have had
their asses sued so far out of business by now you wouldn't be able to
buy them any more...

> And are there such things as heel clips?

Sort of: Hase have various disability modifications available and a
pedal with a heel clamp is one of them IIRC.

> Basically, if the idea's only
> to keep the feet from slipping off, why not have straps at the heel
> instead of by the toe??

Because that is only part of the idea, which is to give you better
pedalling efficiency. For which clipless pedals remain the best
solution in most cases.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Tim McNamara
March 27th 06, 03:47 PM
In article . com>,
"NYC XYZ" > wrote:

> A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
> circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!

Good grief.

NYC XYZ
March 27th 06, 04:14 PM
Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "NYC XYZ" > wrote:
>
> > A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
> > circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!
>
> Good grief.

I was wondering this myself. But the guy's a respected 'bent-head,
riding a Velomobile himself, and is a jet-setting mechanical engineer
for Siemens in his day job. I'm sure he didn't mean actual permanent
deformity, but that's really the gist of his remarks on Power Grips.

Jon Meinecke
March 27th 06, 08:14 PM
"NYC XYZ" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
> circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!

Run away! Run away! %^)

I used PG's for a number of years without discomfort or circulatory
issues.

They would have to be very tight to cause such dire consequences.
The amount of tightness from PGs is self limiting since the amount
of compression is limited by the angle and the insertion characteristics.
They can only apply an incremental amount of compression and
they have to be loose enough to get your shoe in to begin with.

PGs are good for riding in "normal" shoes, and they are a very cost
effective solution. But after going clipless, I wouldn't go back to
PGs... Combo platform/clipless are a good way to start. Watch
for closeout/discontinue sales on SPD-compatible shoes. (LBS,
Nashbar, Sierra Trading Post, REI Outlet, etc.) I spent less than
$60 total on my first set of clipless pedals and shoes.

I keep my cleat retention adjustment fairly loose. It is easier for
me to get out of clipless than it was with my Power Grips and
some lugged sole shoes. My MTB-labeled shoes are reasonably
comfortable for walking and look "normal".

Jon Meinecke

A Muzi
March 28th 06, 02:06 AM
NYC XYZ wrote:
> A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
> circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!
> And are there such things as heel clips? Basically, if the idea's only
> to keep the feet from slipping off, why not have straps at the heel
> instead of by the toe??

Right. And when you ask about a bicycle not sold at that
shop they respond "Those? Oh, yeah they break". What makes
you think they have seen a Power Grip before? Cheap shot in
my opinion. I don't care for Power Grips but some riders do
and that's all within the realm of taste. A pretty harmless
$20 adventure IMHO. Try 'em!

I wouldn't know about heel clips. My heels are several
inches from the pedal.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

NYC XYZ
March 28th 06, 07:01 AM
A Muzi wrote:

> Right. And when you ask about a bicycle not sold at that
> shop they respond "Those? Oh, yeah they break". What makes
> you think they have seen a Power Grip before? Cheap shot in
> my opinion. I don't care for Power Grips but some riders do
> and that's all within the realm of taste. A pretty harmless
> $20 adventure IMHO. Try 'em!
>
> I wouldn't know about heel clips. My heels are several
> inches from the pedal.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Right. It's only that the guy's on a Velomobile himself and is
generally respected in the area for his 'bent expertise. I was going
to try them anyway, but I was curious what folks thought, since I'd
never heard of this before.

I suppose I'll go clipless soon enough thereafter...we'll. But first
things first.

Geez...I wonder if there's anything else I should know about! =)

Phil, Squid-in-Training
March 28th 06, 08:15 AM
NYC XYZ wrote:
> A Muzi wrote:
>>

>> Right. And when you ask about a bicycle not sold at that
>> shop they respond "Those? Oh, yeah they break". What makes
>> you think they have seen a Power Grip before? Cheap shot in
>> my opinion. I don't care for Power Grips but some riders do
>> and that's all within the realm of taste. A pretty harmless
>> $20 adventure IMHO. Try 'em!
>>
>> I wouldn't know about heel clips. My heels are several
>> inches from the pedal.
>> --
>> Andrew Muzi
>> www.yellowjersey.org
>> Open every day since 1 April, 1971
>

> Right. It's only that the guy's on a Velomobile himself and is
> generally respected in the area for his 'bent expertise. I was going
> to try them anyway, but I was curious what folks thought, since I'd
> never heard of this before.
>
> I suppose I'll go clipless soon enough thereafter...we'll. But first
> things first.
>
> Geez...I wonder if there's anything else I should know about! =)

Yes. Trunk Monkeys. Be very afraid.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Peter Clinch
March 28th 06, 09:07 AM
wrote:
> I'm a cruiser, not a performance rider. If I were looking for
> performance I'd
> go clipless. I have been in one spill where, if I'd have been
> clipless, I would
> have been injured. With the slings I was not.

Oh dear, this is getting as bad as "a helmet saved my life!" How do you
*know* you'd be injured in clipless pedals? Did you do a control
experiment?

I'm a cruiser, not a performance rider, and I use clipless. They're
easier to get in and out and they're more efficient at transferring
power to the pedals.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Peter Clinch
March 28th 06, 09:11 AM
NYC XYZ wrote:

> Right. It's only that the guy's on a Velomobile himself and is
> generally respected in the area for his 'bent expertise.

Using pedals is pretty much independent of whether you're on a 'bent or
anything else, so I don't really see that's a big factor.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

NYC XYZ
March 28th 06, 10:33 PM
"Street cred," IOW. His are impeccable. He is bike culture. (Not
IMHO, but that's the appearance.)

Peter Clinch wrote:

> Using pedals is pretty much independent of whether you're on a 'bent or
> anything else, so I don't really see that's a big factor.
>
> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
> Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
> net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

NYC XYZ
March 28th 06, 10:36 PM
Veloise wrote:

> "So, Mr Velomobile Dealer Sir, how many miles did you ride with PG, and
> for how many years? How exactly did they deform your feet?"

I guess in the same way bad shoes like heels on women could...?

> I added them to my town ATB right after I participated in an IPMBA
> session and admired them on the pedals of all those men in uniform.
> That was...at least ten years ago.

I'll give 'em a try, too...probably will graduate to real
clips/clipless(es?) some time later.

> [looks at feet] Yep, deformed. But that was probably more due to
> picking the wrong parents and growing up in the pointy toe era.

Well, you've just flushed your class-action lawsuit down the drain.

Say, did anyone in the US get notice of a class-action suit against
microsoft in the mail recently??

> Gitcher tin foil hat on post-haste.

No, I will not start that helmet debate again!

> HTH
>
> --Karen D.

Peter Clinch
March 29th 06, 09:14 AM
NYC XYZ wrote:
> "Street cred," IOW. His are impeccable. He is bike culture. (Not
> IMHO, but that's the appearance.)

Gotta love it! When a single point of information is probably best, you
ask as many people as possible, and when the widest sample base possible
is most use you go on a single anecdote! ;-/

I've never heard anything from PG users saying they had their feet
deformed. Google isn't screaming problems either, so "bike culture" or
not, his anecdote doesn't seem to have much backing.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Werehatrack
March 29th 06, 02:06 PM
On 26 Mar 2006 23:47:28 -0800, "NYC XYZ" >
wrote:

>A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
>circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!

So use straps that aren't as tight. On a 'bent, clipless makes more
sense anyway; toe clips are designed for a different job.

>And are there such things as heel clips? Basically, if the idea's only
>to keep the feet from slipping off, why not have straps at the heel
>instead of by the toe??

A heel strap that would actually work would be difficult to get loose
from. A heel cup alone would swing away from the foot as soon as
pressure was off the pedal. Clipless is the solution, but pick one
that isn't one-sided.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Peter Clinch
March 29th 06, 02:26 PM
Werehatrack wrote:

> Clipless is the solution, but pick one
> that isn't one-sided.

I prefer two-sided ATACs, but I know folk who use one-sided happily and
they do have the advantage that you're not using awkward pedals if you
do want a quick hack without your cycling shoes on.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Werehatrack
March 29th 06, 03:24 PM
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 14:26:23 +0100, Peter Clinch
> wrote:

>Werehatrack wrote:
>
>> Clipless is the solution, but pick one
>> that isn't one-sided.
>
>I prefer two-sided ATACs, but I know folk who use one-sided happily and
>they do have the advantage that you're not using awkward pedals if you
>do want a quick hack without your cycling shoes on.

They're not cheap, but ISTR that there are Eggbeaters that combine
both a platform and two-sided clip-in. I haven't used them, but they
look like a rational approach.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Jeff Grippe
March 29th 06, 03:30 PM
I was thinking of trying PG's when I get back on the bike. I've started a
thread before in which I mentioned that I don't like clipless because it
tends to concentrate all of the force into a small area of my foot and I end
up with foot pain.

I'd be interested in trying something like a "big clip" if it existed. It
would be something where you clipped in at the very edges of your cycling
shoe. I realize that such a scheme presents technical problems as people
tend to have feet of different widths. I guess that is where toe clips or
PG's come in.

In the experience of users, are PG's really much better than toe clips?

Jeff
"NYC XYZ" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
> circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!
>
> And are there such things as heel clips? Basically, if the idea's only
> to keep the feet from slipping off, why not have straps at the heel
> instead of by the toe??

Peter Clinch
March 29th 06, 03:47 PM
Jeff Grippe wrote:
> I was thinking of trying PG's when I get back on the bike. I've started a
> thread before in which I mentioned that I don't like clipless because it
> tends to concentrate all of the force into a small area of my foot and I end
> up with foot pain.
>
> I'd be interested in trying something like a "big clip" if it existed. It
> would be something where you clipped in at the very edges of your cycling
> shoe. I realize that such a scheme presents technical problems as people
> tend to have feet of different widths. I guess that is where toe clips or
> PG's come in.

You might like to look at Time's Z Freeride series of ATACs, which are
designed as a platform pedal with a clip in the middle, meant for riders
doing Extreme Downhill Silliness or similar work where a big platform is
held to have advantages.

Beyond that, Look cleats are quite a bit chunkier than SPuDs so I guess
they'd spread the loading a bit better. Caveat: I haven't tried either.

> In the experience of users, are PG's really much better than toe clips?

You'd need to define "better". For efficiency and power transmission,
what do racers do? The answer isn't PGs. For holding one's foot on the
pedal it can't really be "better" either, but for the convenience of not
having to wear a special shoe they can certainly be considered
preferable for some.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Claire Petersky
March 29th 06, 04:39 PM
"Jeff Grippe" > wrote in message

> In the experience of users, are PG's really much better than toe clips?

Yes. Given the choice of PGs or toe clips, I'd go with PGs.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Zoot Katz
March 29th 06, 05:46 PM
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:30:27 -0500, "Jeff Grippe" >
wrote:

>In the experience of users, are PG's really much better than toe clips?

Yes, but solely because they operate in the same manner as clipless
pedals, IOW, twist to release. That saves getting caught-out if
you're using both flat and clipless pedals on your bikes.

No, because they must be adjusted to properly fit different shoes and
that adjustment is rather hokey, IME. It tends to loosen.
--
zk

Dane Buson
March 29th 06, 07:13 PM
In rec.bicycles.misc Claire Petersky > wrote:
> "Jeff Grippe" > wrote:
>
>> In the experience of users, are PG's really much better than toe clips?
>
> Yes. Given the choice of PGs or toe clips, I'd go with PGs.

Well yes, but honestly given the choice of toe-clips vs. just about
anything else, I'd choose the else.

--
Dane Buson -
X windows. Flaky and built to stay that way.

Werehatrack
March 29th 06, 09:50 PM
wrote:

>I was thinking of trying PG's when I get back on the bike. I've started a
>thread before in which I mentioned that I don't like clipless because it
>tends to concentrate all of the force into a small area of my foot and I end
>up with foot pain.
>
>I'd be interested in trying something like a "big clip" if it existed. It
>would be something where you clipped in at the very edges of your cycling
>shoe. I realize that such a scheme presents technical problems as people
>tend to have feet of different widths. I guess that is where toe clips or
>PG's come in.
>
>In the experience of users, are PG's really much better than toe clips?

No data, but I will observe that I have seen a 'bent whose pedals had
fiberglass platforms shaped to fit the rider's shoe soles with an edge
flange about 15mm high around the lower third. There was a balance
weight added to cause the platform to rest at an angle that made it
easy to drop the foot onto it. The bike's owner does a lot of boat
repair work.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Werehatrack
March 29th 06, 09:51 PM
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 15:47:02 +0100, Peter Clinch
> wrote:

>Beyond that, Look cleats are quite a bit chunkier than SPuDs so I guess
>they'd spread the loading a bit better. Caveat: I haven't tried either.

Look's pedals tend to hang toe-down, which makes them slightly
annoying to some when used on a 'bent.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Tom Keats
March 30th 06, 05:33 AM
In article >,
Dane Buson > writes:
> In rec.bicycles.misc Claire Petersky > wrote:
>> "Jeff Grippe" > wrote:
>>
>>> In the experience of users, are PG's really much better than toe clips?
>>
>> Yes. Given the choice of PGs or toe clips, I'd go with PGs.
>
> Well yes, but honestly given the choice of toe-clips vs. just about
> anything else, I'd choose the else.

I'm quite satisfied with my pair of Mt Zefal MTB toeclips.
They're made of some plastic/resiny material and they have
square, blunt toe boxes (I find my shoes can squirm around
in pointy toeclips.) I don't cinch the straps up terribly
tightly, but I can still hop over potholes with them. No
problems entering or exiting them. And with their boxy
shape I can (and did) wrap lengths of inner tube around
them for rain covers which, in conjunction with my gaiters,
keep my shoes remarkably dry & cool when riding in the rain --
no need for booties.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Nate Knutson
March 30th 06, 06:35 AM
Jeff Grippe wrote:
> I was thinking of trying PG's when I get back on the bike. I've started a
> thread before in which I mentioned that I don't like clipless because it
> tends to concentrate all of the force into a small area of my foot and I end
> up with foot pain.
>
> I'd be interested in trying something like a "big clip" if it existed. It
> would be something where you clipped in at the very edges of your cycling
> shoe. I realize that such a scheme presents technical problems as people
> tend to have feet of different widths. I guess that is where toe clips or
> PG's come in.
>
> In the experience of users, are PG's really much better than toe clips?

I think the answer to this has to be that how well PG's work is a
pretty personal call. They're much, much better at actually securing
your foot to the pedal than toeclips if you're not tightening the strap
all the time. They're really pretty comparable to clipless in this
regard, IME - and I don't know how toeclips with tightened straps enter
into that comparison because I never got in the habit of tightening
mine down on the fly.

The problem with them is they require a continuous muscular effort in
order to work. It seems like this just isn't compatible with some
people, although how willing one is to dork out over the adjustment
probably plays a big role.

I used them for about a year and was never quite happy with them
personally, although I think they're pretty cool and worth trying,
especially if you know you don't want clipless.

ST
March 31st 06, 04:46 AM
On 3/26/06 11:47 PM, in article
. com, "NYC XYZ"
> wrote:

> A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
> circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!
>
> And are there such things as heel clips? Basically, if the idea's only
> to keep the feet from slipping off, why not have straps at the heel
> instead of by the toe??

Dude!!

You ask the most dumbass troll questions.......
You need to get laid or something!

Bob
March 31st 06, 09:10 PM
ST wrote:
> On 3/26/06 11:47 PM, in article
> . com, "NYC XYZ"
> > wrote:
>
> > A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
> > circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!
> >
> > And are there such things as heel clips? Basically, if the idea's only
> > to keep the feet from slipping off, why not have straps at the heel
> > instead of by the toe??
> >

> Dude!!
>
> You ask the most dumbass troll questions.......
> You need to get laid or something!

In another thread the OP writes of "meeting a wonderful girl" and being
"like soulmates already", so maybe he will. She sounded sufficiently
mentally unstable.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

NYC XYZ
March 31st 06, 10:06 PM
You sound jealous.

"If the dogs are barking, we must be galloping!"

Bob wrote:

> In another thread the OP writes of "meeting a wonderful girl" and being
> "like soulmates already", so maybe he will. She sounded sufficiently
> mentally unstable.
>
> Regards,
> Bob Hunt

Dane Buson
April 1st 06, 01:32 AM
In rec.bicycles.misc Tom Keats > wrote:
> Dane Buson > writes:
>>
>> Well yes, but honestly given the choice of toe-clips vs. just about
>> anything else, I'd choose the else.
>
> I'm quite satisfied with my pair of Mt Zefal MTB toeclips.
> They're made of some plastic/resiny material and they have
> square, blunt toe boxes (I find my shoes can squirm around
> in pointy toeclips.) I don't cinch the straps up terribly
> tightly, but I can still hop over potholes with them. No
> problems entering or exiting them. And with their boxy
> shape I can (and did) wrap lengths of inner tube around
> them for rain covers which, in conjunction with my gaiters,
> keep my shoes remarkably dry & cool when riding in the rain --
> no need for booties.

I've been having so much trouble readjusting my SPD cleats, I'm halfway
to thinking about flats or clips. [1] I've got the *most* painful
saddle sore at the moment.

Well, just about time to ride home.

/wince

[1] One cleat came half off earlier this week. It's still not adjusted
quite right.

--
Dane Buson -
"Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do."

Tom Keats
April 2nd 06, 02:34 AM
In article >,
Dane Buson > writes:

> I've been having so much trouble readjusting my SPD cleats, I'm halfway
> to thinking about flats or clips.

Sometimes I consider acquiring a pair of Carnac shoes and Time ATAC pedals.
I've also thought about commissioning a certain local shoe & boot Mfgr to
custom-make a pair of cycling shoes for me.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.