PDA

View Full Version : Raising handle bars(question and tutorial). pics!

novice
March 28th 06, 05:49 AM
I used the hex tool to undo the one bolt that holds handle bars on.
(imperial one did not work)
righty tighty, btw. anyway, there seems to be a steel wedge on the end
of the bolt which is a little weird because that is all tht holds the
handle bars on. as you tighten bolt the wedge seems to go askew in the
pipe and lock in place . is this right. links have to be copied and
pasted individually to see 2 separate pics.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/114/00005971ot.jpg
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5021/00005966tp.jpg

Mike Jacoubowsky
March 28th 06, 06:15 AM
>I used the hex tool to undo the one bolt that holds handle bars on.
> (imperial one did not work)
> righty tighty, btw. anyway, there seems to be a steel wedge on the end
> of the bolt which is a little weird because that is all tht holds the
> handle bars on. as you tighten bolt the wedge seems to go askew in the
> pipe and lock in place . is this right. links have to be copied and
> pasted individually to see 2 separate pics.

The wedge bolt is upside-down; tightening it up in this position won't
tighten the stem. Thread the wedge bolt in the opposite direction, so it
slides up against the corresponding surface on the stem. Use grease on the
parts of the wedge and stem that contact each other, as well as the threads
on the bolt. It's also a good idea to put some grease underneath the head of
the bolt.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"novice" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I used the hex tool to undo the one bolt that holds handle bars on.
> (imperial one did not work)
> righty tighty, btw. anyway, there seems to be a steel wedge on the end
> of the bolt which is a little weird because that is all tht holds the
> handle bars on. as you tighten bolt the wedge seems to go askew in the
> pipe and lock in place . is this right. links have to be copied and
> pasted individually to see 2 separate pics.
>

> http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/114/00005971ot.jpg
> http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5021/00005966tp.jpg

G.T.
March 28th 06, 07:36 AM
novice wrote:
> I used the hex tool to undo the one bolt that holds handle bars on.
> (imperial one did not work)
> righty tighty, btw. anyway, there seems to be a steel wedge on the end
> of the bolt which is a little weird because that is all tht holds the
> handle bars on. as you tighten bolt the wedge seems to go askew in the
> pipe and lock in place . is this right. links have to be copied and
> pasted individually to see 2 separate pics.
>

> http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/114/00005971ot.jpg
> http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5021/00005966tp.jpg

Your trolls are getting boring.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

A Muzi
March 28th 06, 08:10 AM
novice wrote:

> I used the hex tool to undo the one bolt that holds handle bars on.
> (imperial one did not work)
> righty tighty, btw. anyway, there seems to be a steel wedge on the end
> of the bolt which is a little weird because that is all tht holds the
> handle bars on. as you tighten bolt the wedge seems to go askew in the
> pipe and lock in place . is this right. links have to be copied and
> pasted individually to see 2 separate pics.
>

> http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/114/00005971ot.jpg
> http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5021/00005966tp.jpg

Uh, the steel wedge on the end is upside down.

Remove it and screw it in so the angle matches the stem.
Then lubricate the thread, lubricate under the head of the
bolt, the wedge angle faces and the inside of the steerer (
fork tube).

Before riding, stand in front of the bike, hold the wheel
between your knees and give the bars a firm push. The bars
should not twist in the bike except under extreme effort.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

novice
March 28th 06, 08:48 AM
ok, thanks:) my bad. I hope nobody dies because of my tutorial.

novice
March 28th 06, 08:49 AM
Good job! thanks.

G.T.
March 28th 06, 06:53 PM
novice wrote:
> ok, thanks:) my bad. I hope nobody dies because of my tutorial.

Go away.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven