PDA

View Full Version : Kona Kikapu Deluxe recommendations/pricing?

RobWoozle
March 28th 06, 06:34 AM
OK....so I've got $2k to spend on a new MTB. My Giant Iguana hardtail
is entering its fifth year of faithful service and needs a rest ;-)

I've done some research and my LBS has the Kona Kikapu Deluxe for
AU$1999.

I've had a quick read over at mtbreview.com and it gets a good write
up. Also Mountain Biking Australlia liked the '05 model.

Anyone riding the '06 model yet, I'd be interested in your opinions
(and if you paid less!!)

FWIW, I ride a lot but don't race MTB much, when I do they are longer
events like the MONT 24. I don't want this bike for anything but
offroad. Most of my riding is at Majura Pines in the ACT which is just
out my back door!

Thanks,
Rob

Parbs
March 28th 06, 07:27 AM
RobWoozle wrote:

> I've done some research and my LBS has the Kona Kikapu Deluxe for
> AU$1999.
>
> I've had a quick read over at mtbreview.com and it gets a good write
> up. Also Mountain Biking Australlia liked the '05 model.

Random Dave rides a 'Pu & no doubt will be along shortly. If you're not
planning on to much sillyness and want something quick the 'Pu will fit
the bill.

Hmm, TonyF rides a Coiler & Petulance rides a Cinder Cone. I'm beginning
to feel left out - am I the only Sydney a.b'er that doesn't ride a Kona?

Parbs

Random Data
March 28th 06, 11:19 AM
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:34:10 -0800, RobWoozle wrote:

> I've had a quick read over at mtbreview.com and it gets a good write up.
> Also Mountain Biking Australlia liked the '05 model.

Just be aware that Kona have played silly buggers over the past few years
with spec levels. My '03 Kikapu is more like the spec of this year's King
Kik. That said, the Kik deluxe isn't a bad bit o' kit.

> FWIW, I ride a lot but don't race MTB much, when I do they are longer
> events like the MONT 24. I don't want this bike for anything but
> offroad. Most of my riding is at Majura Pines in the ACT which is just
> out my back door!

Good bike for that kind of thing. Strong enough to handle the gully jumps,
but still light enough not to be a pain on the uphills. Mine will be out
at Dargle for the 3rd time this weekend, and I'm still stupid enough to
solo, so it can't be that uncomfortable.

Dave - who has done a couple of Monts on that bike as well, albeit in
teams

--
Dave Hughes |
- Dr. Who

petulance
March 29th 06, 12:15 AM
Parbs wrote:

> Hmm, TonyF rides a Coiler & Petulance rides a Cinder Cone. I'm beginning
> to feel left out - am I the only Sydney a.b'er that doesn't ride a Kona?

If I had waited another 6 - 8 weeks for the Giant dealers to clear
their '05 stock, I would have bought a Giant XTC2 instead of the Cinder
Cone. The Cinder Cone seems to weigh a ton compared to the Giant XTCs!

warrwych
March 29th 06, 12:40 AM
petulance Wrote:
> Parbs wrote:
> >
> > Hmm, TonyF rides a Coiler & Petulance rides a Cinder Cone. I'm
> beginning
> > to feel left out - am I the only Sydney a.b'er that doesn't ride a
> Kona?
> >

> If I had waited another 6 - 8 weeks for the Giant dealers to clear
> their '05 stock, I would have bought a Giant XTC2 instead of the
> Cinder
> Cone. The Cinder Cone seems to weigh a ton compared to the Giant XTCs!

a number of the Games mtb gals were riding XTCs

--
warrwych

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home