PDA

View Full Version : 28" or 29"

lucky_8
March 28th 06, 12:24 PM
is there a big difference in between the to different sizes

--
lucky_8

life is a whole lot more fun when you live it on just one wheel.
lucky_8's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11685

pdc
March 28th 06, 01:03 PM
lucky_8 wrote:
> is there a big difference in between the to different sizes

No, just 1 inch........ Sorry

--
pdc

"What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
mother"
pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

Krashin'Kenny
March 28th 06, 02:09 PM
Basically they're the same thing. They both use a 700c rim and the only
difference is the tire size:)

--
Krashin'Kenny

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!
Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

lleberg
March 28th 06, 02:22 PM
I'll change my big apple to something skinnyer to save some weight..
this summer, when i'm going supersonic! 60mm cranks..

--
lleberg

I <3 my unicycle!
lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

Mikefule
March 28th 06, 05:34 PM
There is a fundamental difference, but it's nothing to do with the extra
inch.

On rolling circumference, the difference is only 1/28 = 3.6%

On 10 mph/16kmh that would increase you to 10.35 mph/16.57 kph - hardly
noticeable.

However the 29 is much better at rolling over stuff, and absorbing
small changes in the road surface, the gradient, or small variations in
your pedalling input. It has some of the flywheel effect of a Coker,
especially if you put small cranks on.

The 28, on the other hand, is a precision tool - a delight to ride -
precise, sharp, light, responsive... but twitchy and temperamental.

You will maintain a higher average speed in almost all conditions on a
fat 9290 tyre than on a thin (28) tyre.

I have skinny almost slick road bike tyre on my 700c. It's beautiful,
but you need to concentrate. It's the purest form of unicycling I've
tried. Highly recommended by me, but most people prefer the 29.

--
Mikefule

Through decades of decay
Despair and dismay