PDA

View Full Version : Unique lightweight folding bicycle, Crazy Product!

March 29th 06, 02:53 AM
A-bike rapidly folds down into half its actual size into a compact
660mm x 300mm X 150mm compact package, (volume of 0.03 cubic meters),
taking up minimal storage space. When unfolded, the A-bike measures
890mm long, 940mm high and 420mm wide.

http://www.abike-shop.com/abike_product_detail.htm

(PeteCresswell)
March 29th 06, 03:43 AM
RE/
>http://www.abike-shop.com/abike_product_detail.htm

"A-bike acts like a normal bicycle"

.... until the front wheel hits a bump higher than about a half inch...
--
PeteCresswell

Phil, Squid-in-Training
March 29th 06, 03:56 AM
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> RE/
>> http://www.abike-shop.com/abike_product_detail.htm
>
> "A-bike acts like a normal bicycle"
>
> ... until the front wheel hits a bump higher than about a half inch...

Notice they don't show anyone actually riding it because it looks so goofy!

Important things that r.b.t regulars would ask:
1. How long do the tires last?
2. Do the wheels come in 32-spoke patterns?
3. What about pneumatic tires instead of those airless craps on there?
4. Ease of replacing bearings?
5. Does it have a threadless stem?
6. Can STI be fitted onto the bike?
7. Will a compact crankset be happy on the bike?
8. Clipless pedals, duh!

And number nine:
9. Can you put a Brooks B-17 on it?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Werehatrack
March 29th 06, 05:03 AM
On 28 Mar 2006 17:53:58 -0800, wrote:

>A-bike rapidly folds down into half its actual size into a compact
>660mm x 300mm X 150mm compact package, (volume of 0.03 cubic meters),
>taking up minimal storage space. When unfolded, the A-bike measures
>890mm long, 940mm high and 420mm wide.
>
>http://www.abike-shop.com/abike_product_detail.htm

There is a wheel size below which a bike becomes useless (or even
unsafe) for actual riding on a typical US city street. This one
appears to fall well below it; I believe that the front wheel would
too easily become lodged in common small road imperfections, and I
would not try to ride it anywhere except on a very smooth surface.
Additionally, the wheelbase is so short that I expect that it would be
likely to be useless on any significant grade or under the
acceleration and/or braking forces that a reasonably strong rider
could easily generate.

In my opinion, for the vast majority of situations, this is a toy, not
transportation. A folding bike with 16" or 20" wheels can be had for
less than half the MSRP of this unit. Even if I thought it had some
practical applications, which I do not, I would consider it to be a
poor value unless the extreme compactness of the package was the only
criterium that was relevant for a specific user's needs.

Miniaturization can be taken past the point of usefulness.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Werehatrack
March 29th 06, 05:14 AM
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 21:56:24 -0500, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
> wrote:

>(PeteCresswell) wrote:
>> RE/
>>> http://www.abike-shop.com/abike_product_detail.htm
>>
>> "A-bike acts like a normal bicycle"
>>
>> ... until the front wheel hits a bump higher than about a half inch...
>
>Notice they don't show anyone actually riding it because it looks so goofy!

Whaddya mean? Look at the row of photos across the top of the page.
(No telling what the speeds involved may have been, if the bikes were
ven moving. They all look like sidewalk shots to me, and this bike
wouldn't get a block in any direction on the root-heaved walks around
my neighborhood.)

>Important things that r.b.t regulars would ask:
>1. How long do the tires last?

And what's the pressure? (Solid? Pfui!)

>2. Do the wheels come in 32-spoke patterns?

Some would want the 16-spoke version for the aero benefit.

>3. What about pneumatic tires instead of those airless craps on there?

And tubular!

>4. Ease of replacing bearings?

Are they cartridge or loose-ball?

>5. Does it have a threadless stem?

Duh! It's a goofy quill; look at the weld.

>6. Can STI be fitted onto the bike?

And if so, what would it do?

>7. Will a compact crankset be happy on the bike?

In the optional basket, perhaps. (Please tell me that there's an
optional luggage rack or trailer; what good is a folding bike if you
can't use it to get from the airport to the hotel?)

>8. Clipless pedals, duh!
>And number nine:
>9. Can you put a Brooks B-17 on it?

Probably, but a Selle San Marco would be lighter.

And, number ten:

10. Is there a dynamo hub option for lighting?
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

trg
March 29th 06, 07:47 AM
"Werehatrack" > a écrit dans le message de news:
> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 21:56:24 -0500, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
> > wrote:
>
>>(PeteCresswell) wrote:
>>> RE/
>>>
>>> "A-bike acts like a normal bicycle"
>>>
>>> ... until the front wheel hits a bump higher than about a half inch...
>>
>>Notice they don't show anyone actually riding it because it looks so
>>goofy!
>
> Whaddya mean? Look at the row of photos across the top of the page.
> (No telling what the speeds involved may have been, if the bikes were
> ven moving. They all look like sidewalk shots to me, and this bike
> wouldn't get a block in any direction on the root-heaved walks around
> my neighborhood.)
>
>>Important things that r.b.t regulars would ask:
>>1. How long do the tires last?
>
> And what's the pressure? (Solid? Pfui!)
>
>>2. Do the wheels come in 32-spoke patterns?
>
> Some would want the 16-spoke version for the aero benefit.
>
>>3. What about pneumatic tires instead of those airless craps on there?
>
> And tubular!
>
>>4. Ease of replacing bearings?
>
> Are they cartridge or loose-ball?
>
>>5. Does it have a threadless stem?
>
> Duh! It's a goofy quill; look at the weld.
>
>>6. Can STI be fitted onto the bike?
>
> And if so, what would it do?
>
>>7. Will a compact crankset be happy on the bike?
>
> In the optional basket, perhaps. (Please tell me that there's an
> optional luggage rack or trailer; what good is a folding bike if you
> can't use it to get from the airport to the hotel?)
>
>>8. Clipless pedals, duh!
>>And number nine:
>>9. Can you put a Brooks B-17 on it?
>
> Probably, but a Selle San Marco would be lighter.
>
> And, number ten:
>
> 10. Is there a dynamo hub option for lighting?
> --

Nah, the real problem with this bike is that at 5.5kg, it's not UCI legal.

Earl Bollinger
March 29th 06, 12:34 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> A-bike rapidly folds down into half its actual size into a compact
> 660mm x 300mm X 150mm compact package, (volume of 0.03 cubic meters),
> taking up minimal storage space. When unfolded, the A-bike measures
> 890mm long, 940mm high and 420mm wide.
>
> http://www.abike-shop.com/abike_product_detail.htm

I think one of those folding mini-scooters or skateboard like things would
be a lot more practical and cheaper too.
You'd look just as goofy riding on one too.

Qui si parla Campagnolo
March 29th 06, 02:39 PM
wrote:
> A-bike rapidly folds down into half its actual size into a compact
> 660mm x 300mm X 150mm compact package, (volume of 0.03 cubic meters),
> taking up minimal storage space. When unfolded, the A-bike measures
> 890mm long, 940mm high and 420mm wide.
>
> http://www.abike-shop.com/abike_product_detail.htm

Saw some circus bikes like this at interbike.....

wle
March 30th 06, 12:30 AM
it wouldn;t be so bad with 14" or so wheels on it..

wle.

Werehatrack
March 30th 06, 12:52 AM
On 29 Mar 2006 15:30:49 -0800, "wle" > wrote:

>it wouldn;t be so bad with 14" or so wheels on it..

It also wouldn't be anything like what it is now.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home