PDA

View Full Version : Video - First Aid

Jason Allemann
March 29th 06, 08:42 AM
Just finished putting together this video of Karl, Devon, Thomas and I
on one of our winter rides. The footage is from about a month ago.
February 19th to be exact.

It's the first item in my 'video gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/fxdl3).

There are a few kind of gross spitting blood shots so consider yourself
warned if you don't like that sort of thing. Conveniently Winterlude
(an annual winter festival in Ottawa) was going on so they had a
portable first aid station not far from where we were riding.

Enjoy!

Jason Allemann

'Creaky Wheel Videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/creakywheel)
'True Dimensions' (http://www.truedimensions.com)
Jason Allemann's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3702

andrew_carter
March 29th 06, 10:53 AM
Great video! I couldn't stand riding in the snow...I hate that slippery
feeling under the tyre. Something I've always wondered...I guess there
wouldn't be as many motorcyclists out in the winter, right?

A couple of technical questions:
- How are you compressing these videos? The quality is fantastic for
such a small file size. I watched the Quicktime version. What are you
editing the videos with? I use Vegas Movie Studio 4.0 but am getting
really frustrated because it can't seem to save at 16:9...it resorts to
letterboxing in 4:3. I've asked the technical help people (by email)
about it but only got a proposed solution that didn't work...then
despite inviting me to reply if it didn't work, they didn't respond to
my reply. :( I've been filming exclusively in 16:9 for about two years
now and love it (I'm sure you agree it frames everything so nicely!),
but I can't get a 16:9 result without cropping it with VirtualDub.
- What sort of camera are you using? I love the image quality. I
film with a standard MiniDV and I dont think I get as nice detail in
mine...even uncompressed.

Cheers,
Andrew

--
andrew_carter

...well that's what i think anyway.
*'www.unicycletips.com' (http://www.unicycletips.com) | 'my photos
and videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/andrew) | '\\"dancing
about architecture\\"'
(http://www.dancingaboutarchitecture.com.au)*

hecklar
March 29th 06, 07:00 PM
andrew_carter wrote:
> Great video! I couldn't stand riding in the snow...I hate that slippery
> feeling under the tyre. Something I've always wondered...I guess there
> wouldn't be as many motorcyclists out in the winter, right?

Yeah, no one rides motorcycles in the Winter. That would be suicide.
You know it's Spring when you hear the bikers out! haha

--
hecklar
hecklar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6917

ntappin
March 29th 06, 09:55 PM
Nice one Devon!:eek:

That was cool, thanks for the video Jason.

I quite like riding in the winter, particularly at the beginning of
winter. Now that summer has come though I am amazingly happy.

Did I see Carl senior in that aswell?

--
ntappin

trials_uni
March 29th 06, 10:41 PM
that was sweet...good job guys!

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/fculm)

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

Jason Allemann
March 30th 06, 05:49 AM
andrew_carter wrote:
> A couple of technical questions:
> - How are you compressing these videos? The quality is fantastic for
> such a small file size. I watched the Quicktime version. What are you
> editing the videos with? I use Vegas Movie Studio 4.0 but am getting
> really frustrated because it can't seem to save at 16:9...it resorts to
> letterboxing in 4:3. I've asked the technical help people (by email)
> about it but only got a proposed solution that didn't work...then
> despite inviting me to reply if it didn't work, they didn't respond to
> my reply. :( I've been filming exclusively in 16:9 for about two years
> now and love it (I'm sure you agree it frames everything so nicely!),
> but I can't get a 16:9 result without cropping it with VirtualDub.
> - What sort of camera are you using? I love the image quality. I
> film with a standard MiniDV and I dont think I get as nice detail in
> mine...even uncompressed.

Here's my current setup....

Sony TRV38 MiniDV camera. It's a single CCD camera and a couple of
years old, but the quality seems pretty good on it. For editing I use
Premiere Pro, which is decent enough for most editing tasks.

I always capture footage onto the computer in DVAVI format and keep it
in that format throughout the editing process. Once the video is done
I save the entire video as a DVAVI file. I don't use Premiere to do
the conversions to other formats because I've found it generally
doesn't do as good a job as the tools that are designed specifically
for those formats, and sometimes it just plain doesn't work at all.

To convert the DVAVI file to wmv I use Windows Media Encoder 9, which I
believe is freely available from Microsoft. For mov I export the DVAVI
file from Quicktime Pro 7, using the new H.264 codec.

I can't help you with your issues with Vegas, since I've never used it,
but I hope you figure something out. Does it letterbox regardless of
what format you save to? If it saves to DVAVI fine you could try and
use another tool to do the conversion to other formats.

Jason Allemann

'Creaky Wheel Videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/creakywheel)
'True Dimensions' (http://www.truedimensions.com)
Jason Allemann's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3702

Jason Allemann
March 30th 06, 05:57 AM
Oh yeah, and I agree with you regarding 16:9 aspect ratio. I like it a
lot better too.

And thanks for the other responses, glad you guys enjoyed it!

To Nathan, Carl senior wasn't in the video. Sometime he joins us when
we're doing driveway trials at the Roth residence but I don't think
he's ever come on a full blown trials ride with us.

Jason Allemann

'Creaky Wheel Videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/creakywheel)
'True Dimensions' (http://www.truedimensions.com)
Jason Allemann's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3702