PDA

View Full Version : Re: Which pedals: nylon or metal?

Luigi de Guzman
August 17th 03, 07:41 PM
(Joe Samangitak) wrote in message >...
> Help me decide on nylon/plastic or metal alloy pedals. My older bike
> had metal pedals and my newer bike, a Mongoose hybrid, came with these
> newer Wellgo nylon pedals; like in the picture below:
>
> http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=PD1037
>
> Both pedals are of comparable design. Some of the pro's and cons I see
> between the two are: nylon pedal lighter (which is good), doesn't spin
> as easily (which is good), but the teeth will wear out faster than the
> metal one (however, its cheap to replace). Only advantage I can see to
> using the metal pedal instead is that the teeth don't wear down.
> Between these two, which would generally be considered the better
> pedal?

You'll be able to mount toeclips and straps onto a metal pedal. Clips
and straps make it *much* easier to spin higher cadences...and feel
better while doing it. Going back to rubber block pedals after having
clips and straps is...unsatifsying.

(although I had to do it, as my present bike has a coaster brake hub)

-Luigi

Joe Samangitak
August 18th 03, 12:40 AM
(Luigi de Guzman) wrote in message >...
> (Joe Samangitak) wrote in message >...
> > Help me decide on nylon/plastic or metal alloy pedals. My older bike
> > had metal pedals and my newer bike, a Mongoose hybrid, came with these
> > newer Wellgo nylon pedals; like in the picture below:
> >
> > http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=PD1037
> >
> > Both pedals are of comparable design. Some of the pro's and cons I see
> > between the two are: nylon pedal lighter (which is good), doesn't spin
> > as easily (which is good), but the teeth will wear out faster than the
> > metal one (however, its cheap to replace). Only advantage I can see to
> > using the metal pedal instead is that the teeth don't wear down.
> > Between these two, which would generally be considered the better
> > pedal?
>
> You'll be able to mount toeclips and straps onto a metal pedal. Clips
> and straps make it *much* easier to spin higher cadences...and feel
> better while doing it. Going back to rubber block pedals after having
> clips and straps is...unsatifsying.

I don't believe the Wellgo pedals I described are "rubber block
pedals". They have an open cage with teeth just the same as my metal
pedals. Neither pedal has really sharp teeth, like the Odyssey Shark
Bite for example. I do not like clips and straps, I removed them from
my pedals, and don't even do enough long distance cycling to justify
their advantages. Any other advantages (or disadvantages) to using
metal pedals over the nylon Wellgo pedals? Is the difference in weight
not a factor unless you're riding competitively?

> (although I had to do it, as my present bike has a coaster brake hub)
>
> -Luigi

Steve Shapiro
August 18th 03, 06:57 AM
> I don't believe the Wellgo pedals I described are "rubber block
> pedals". They have an open cage with teeth just the same as my metal
> pedals. Neither pedal has really sharp teeth, like the Odyssey Shark
> Bite for example. I do not like clips and straps, I removed them from
> my pedals, and don't even do enough long distance cycling to justify
> their advantages. Any other advantages (or disadvantages) to using
> metal pedals over the nylon Wellgo pedals? Is the difference in weight
> not a factor unless you're riding competitively?
>

> > (although I had to do it, as my present bike has a coaster brake hub)
> >
> > -Luigi

Nylon is a good material for pedals. Nylon pedals lack cache, but
otherwise will be fine for casual riding without clips and straps.
When you scratch 'em, it won't show since the color is though and
through. They are more gentle then metal to objects they rub against
like other bikes. And they are cheap enough so that if you change
your mind about attaching your feet to the bike, you won't be out much
money.

Steve Shapiro

Rick Onanian
August 18th 03, 03:40 PM
On 17 Aug 2003 11:41:27 -0700, Luigi de Guzman > wrote:
>> http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=PD1037
>
> You'll be able to mount toeclips and straps onto a metal pedal. Clips

Those pedals look very much like the ones that came
on my GT mountain bike back in '97. I had no problem
using clips and straps on those.

BTW, the original poster said he was concerned about
the teeth wearing out. I was able to get very good
engagement to the flat pedal, even without the clips
and straps, by wearing cheap baseball cleats gotten
for $4 at Wal Mart. In fact, when I used those shoes
with the clips and straps, it was every bit as secure
as clipless, without having to reach down and tighten
the strap.

That was on plain, flat, plastic pedals, without any
teeth at all.

> and straps make it *much* easier to spin higher cadences...and feel
> better while doing it. Going back to rubber block pedals after having
> clips and straps is...unsatifsying.

Clips and straps are good, until you get used to
clipless... ;)

--
Rick Onanian

Luigi de Guzman
August 18th 03, 06:53 PM
Rick Onanian > wrote in message >...
> On 17 Aug 2003 11:41:27 -0700, Luigi de Guzman > wrote:
> >> http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=PD1037
> >
> > You'll be able to mount toeclips and straps onto a metal pedal. Clips
>
> Those pedals look very much like the ones that came
> on my GT mountain bike back in '97. I had no problem
> using clips and straps on those.

I've actually never seen anyone with nylon/rubber pedals and
clips/straps....

> BTW, the original poster said he was concerned about
> the teeth wearing out. I was able to get very good
> engagement to the flat pedal, even without the clips
> and straps, by wearing cheap baseball cleats gotten
> for $4 at Wal Mart. In fact, when I used those shoes
> with the clips and straps, it was every bit as secure
> as clipless, without having to reach down and tighten
> the strap.
>
> That was on plain, flat, plastic pedals, without any
> teeth at all.

And besides, you could dig deep and beat the tag at second... *grin*

> > and straps make it *much* easier to spin higher cadences...and feel
> > better while doing it. Going back to rubber block pedals after having
> > clips and straps is...unsatifsying.
>
> Clips and straps are good, until you get used to
> clipless... ;)

I'm sure. At the moment though I'm shie-ing away from the whole
clipless thing... being able to jump on the bike with any shoes I
happen to have on is a plus; having to put on a particular pair of
shoes just to get on the bike is a bit much for me at this point.
After my crash I can see the safety benefit of clipless (had I been
strapped in, I would have tumbled with the bike and god only knows how
beat-up I would have been) but that still doesn't sell it to me.
Can't go to church in cleated shoes, after all.

at the moment, the next major bike-related buy will be a new 7-speed
freewheel (and maybe cables, etc) for the old Raleigh, then a schmidt
hub dynamo and associated lights for the 'home' bike....but the latter
might have to wait until I get enough cash together to fund it.

-Luigi

Tom Keats
August 18th 03, 07:11 PM
In article >,
(Luigi de Guzman) writes:

> I've actually never seen anyone with nylon/rubber pedals and
> clips/straps....

My most recent foundling acquistion actually came with rubber
flatties with clips. I subsequently bought a pair of straps
for it. I'm used to metal pedals myself, so the rubber ones
feel funny. Believe it or not, I even took the trouble to
overhaul the bearings in those cheap pedals. They're as good
as new, now.

> at the moment, the next major bike-related buy will be a new 7-speed
> freewheel (and maybe cables, etc) for the old Raleigh, then a schmidt
> hub dynamo and associated lights for the 'home' bike....but the latter
> might have to wait until I get enough cash together to fund it.

I'm all too familiar with that situation, myself. Nevertheless,
I've trimmed my wish list down to just one item -- a big whack
of money :-)

cheers,
Tom