PDA

View Full Version : Bad Fall today while WW (pics)

terrybigwheel
March 30th 06, 02:59 AM
I had a pretty bad fall today while practicing WW-ing. Everone told me I
should "lean back more", so I did and if I may borrow a phrase froma
recent post; the uni shot out from under me like a watermellon seed!
Wow, it happened soooo fast I didn't have time to react and fell pretty
much directly onmy left elbow! Funny thing is, (well not really "funny"
funny, but still STUPID!) I had just come from the park doingthe same
thing, but still falling FORWARD, so when I got home I decidedto resume
practice, and had just removed my elbow pads, but left every else on;
t2's, shin, knee, wrist, helmut, gloves...all but what I NEEDED in the
fall! Man that is a real hazard inlearning to WW!:eek:

|Filename: updelbow 001.jpg |

terrybigwheel

Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

podzol
March 30th 06, 03:07 AM
I'm at the same stage WWing as you.

I wear:
Helmet, wrist guards, elbow pads, knee pads, and... don't laugh...okay
you can laugh, I really don't care... my kayaking vest. It pads my back
when I land on it.

--
podzol

THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
Seeking riders and support.
*http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

Jerrick
March 30th 06, 03:07 AM
Ouch, i wrecked while learning to WW and got my ankle cut =p

12732

|Filename: Cut 3.jpg |

Jerrick

from chosen:

can you give me a shoutout in your sig. some thing like i love
jonny....or jonny is the coolest. or be creative. but pleeeasssee can i
have a shoutout from you?

jonny

podzol
March 30th 06, 03:08 AM
I forget to mention. I hope you feel better. It looks like it really
hurts. Those backwards falls are so jarring.

--
podzol

THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
Seeking riders and support.
*http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

manon1wheel
March 30th 06, 03:11 AM
ive never worn a helmet, elbow or wrist pads for a year...

not to mention the kayaking vest... haha

--
manon1wheel

Riley

I LOVE YOU GILBY
manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

terrybigwheel
March 30th 06, 03:12 AM
podzol wrote:
> I forget to mention. I hope you feel better. It looks like it really
> hurts. Those backwards falls are so jarring.

Thanks. Yeah, it was very jarring and for a split second I felt the
impact course through my whole body and skull! Weird and scary.Well,
I'm gonna go hold it under cold water 'cause it's pretty
swollen...looks like a golf ball is under my skin!

--
terrybigwheel

Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

podzol
March 30th 06, 03:13 AM
manon1wheel wrote:
> ive never worn a helmet, elbow or wrist pads for a year...
>
> not to mention the kayaking vest... haha

I'm a very happy and proud whimp.

--
podzol

THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
Seeking riders and support.
*http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

manon1wheel
March 30th 06, 03:13 AM
ouch.. a golfball? take a picture while it lasts

--
manon1wheel

Riley

I LOVE YOU GILBY
manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

terrybigwheel
March 30th 06, 03:25 AM
Here's the two-elbow comparison! Can you guess which one was injured??
(lol!)The pain is really setting in now; I hope it's not broken, but I
think it's probably just badly bruised. OUCH!

|Filename: updelbow.jpg |

terrybigwheel

Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

LessIsMore
March 30th 06, 03:55 AM
Whoa Terry, looks like a nasty bruise. :( t

Hope you heal up quickly!

Guy

--
LessIsMore

3 degrees of freedom
LessIsMore's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6864

trials_uni
March 30th 06, 04:02 AM
well its a perfect example of murphys law...if it can happen it will.
but i hope your arm feels better soon.

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/fculm)

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

podzol
March 30th 06, 04:03 AM
If that big lump is your elbow and not a tumor, I bet ya its broken. Put
some ice on it and get it checked.

--
podzol

THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
Seeking riders and support.
*http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

terrybigwheel
March 30th 06, 04:14 AM
podzol wrote:
> If that big lump is your elbow and not a tumor, I bet ya its broken. Put
> some ice on it and get it checked.

Luckily, I do have full range of motion, and no "grinding" feeling, so
I don't think it's broken, but just swollen. But I could be
wrong...I'll see how it feels tomorrow. Another lucky thing, it's not
my "tuning" hand! (I'm a piano tuner):D

--
terrybigwheel

Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

The Munieer
March 30th 06, 06:21 AM
Wow, Terry, that's ugly. You still have your sense of humor. :) That's
a hematoma, I think. I had one a few years ago on my forearm from
falling off my MUni onto a rock. It goes down in a week or so. Take
some motrin and take it easy. That sent me to buying arm guards.

Cheers.

--
The Munieer

Rod Wylie - Email teachndad (att) gmail(dott) com

'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greater-Los-Angeles-Trails)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
(http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)
The Munieer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/736

David_Stone
March 30th 06, 06:33 AM
Wow, that's hugly.

When I was learning to WW, which took me 7 months, I often wore wrist
guards, tho never a helmet or any other gear. Leaning back is
important, tho it's counter-intuitive, so when you fall, it tends to be
awkward. But... I learned to "reach" for the ground with whichever hand
was closer to it, and since the wrist guard took most of the
punishment, I always came out ok. The two times I hurt myself came
after i'd learned (but not mastered) WWing. In both cases, I slipped,
got my feet caught on the same side of the wheel, and nearly broke my
wrist. I never came close to hurting an elbow (in fact, I've never so
much as scraped an elbow in 26 years of riding). Weird.

Heal well,

David

--
David_Stone

Dictator for Life,
NYUC

Check out my blog (or else):
http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/
David_Stone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3834

Seager
March 30th 06, 11:20 AM
Terry, judging by the size of that bump you have damaged your bursa.
Check out this link:
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/elbow/a/olecranonbursa.htm

There is a fluid sack in your elbow called your bursa that become
inflamed if you hit it real hard. There can be complications, so watch
it. I hurt mine real bad in highschool (diving while playing
ping-pong) and it took almost a month for it to go down. It hurt
REALLY bad for awhile.

--
Seager

'Team RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
(http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)
Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840

constance.cotter
March 30th 06, 03:23 PM
Terry,
Hope you heal quickly!!

All this talk about leaning back while ww -- I've said it before and
I'll say it now, I really don't think that the rider should lean back.
This excessive leaning back is what causes the nasty falls from ww.

From another post a while back, I said:

> I disagree with the wheelwalking advice about leaning back. When I watch
> the people who can easily wheel walk versus those who are struggling,
> the biggest difference is that those who are struggling have their
> shoulders TOO far back.
>
> What I recommend is keeping your shoulders over your hub (or even
> slightly forward) and your butt slightly back. This distributes the
> weight better, but doesn't give the feeling of having the shoulders too
> far back. Watch videos of wheelwalking (or even look at pictures) and
> draw a line between the shoulders/hips/feet. The line for Beginners is
> straight and angling back (like "/"), while for advanced it is closer
> to a merge of ">" and "|".

Connie

--
constance.cotter
constance.cotter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9039

rob.northcott
March 30th 06, 03:32 PM
Seager wrote:
> (diving while playing ping-pong)

How do you stop the balls floating to the surface? :p

--
rob.northcott

'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46116) - Last
weekend in May 2006

manon1wheel
March 30th 06, 03:44 PM
ouch! i hope it feels better soon.

i had a very large bump on my leg a couple of months ago. but is wasnt
that big!!!
that picture makes me flinch

--
manon1wheel

Riley

I LOVE YOU GILBY
manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

amanda.gallacher
March 30th 06, 04:09 PM
ouch! :s hope you get better soon! i also reali hope it isnt broken, i
dont think i would manage without all your videos :p

--
amanda.gallacher

'my gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/dpa27)

'unicycle.com' (http://www.unicycle.uk.com)

- add me
amanda.gallacher's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10009

underdog
March 30th 06, 04:43 PM
Wow. This is really a dangerous sport. Maybe we should all quit before
somebody gets hurt:eek: ;)

--
underdog

'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

terrybigwheel
March 30th 06, 06:36 PM
underdog wrote:
> Wow. This is really a dangerous sport. Maybe we should all quit before
> somebody gets hurt:eek: ;)

It makes me want to get right back out there! It's the challenge and
myself saying: Dang it, I'm not giving up! Btw, the swellinghas gone
down somewhat since the fall yesterday, so I think that's a good sign.
Stll hurts, but I can move it freely.

--
terrybigwheel

Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

zippy
March 31st 06, 12:59 PM
that bruise is a little 2 large for just some skin, you need to get is
x-rayed. I reckon you have a small fracture.

--
zippy
zippy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11885

johnfoss
March 31st 06, 04:12 PM
trials_uni wrote:
> well its a perfect example of murphys law...

Murphy's law of safety gear, that is. Whatever part of your body is
uncovered, that's where you're going to get it. If you have a piece of
safety gear that's not on, that's where you're going to get it.

Of course this Murphy's Law stuff only seems so intense because you
remember times like this. If you'd had the pads on, you'd have said
"ouch" and gotten back on the uni. But I do remember from my early days
of practice that if I wore my stuff, I'd hardly ever fall on it. When I
wasn't wearing it, the knees and palms were getting chewed up all the
time.

For wheel walking, like nearly every other skill, it's not necessary to
lean back. All you need to do is sit up straight. It *feels like*
you're leaning back more because your pelvic angle changes. Having your
legs in front of you puts a different part of your butt on the seat,
and it feels awkward.

Like everything else, practicing your escape plan can help reduce
injury. I still remember a few nasty falls from my early days of wheel
walking, though this was probably when I was trying to learn it
backwards. I remember falling directly on my tailbone (everything else
still on its way down) on my garage floor. I lay there for what felt
like 15 minutes hating life, before finally getting up and cursing the
unicycle for a bit. There's a dismount technique that can help for rear
dismounts from wheel walking. The key thing is to swing your feet out
and around the sides, to make sure they don't catch on the pedals. If
they do, your fall can be worse. But if you get your feet out, around
and as far back as possible, you can often catch yourself, or at least
soften your fall. You'll end up in a kind of limbo dance position.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

terrybigwheel
March 31st 06, 05:26 PM
zippy wrote:
> that bruise is a little 2 large for just some skin, you need to get is
> x-rayed. I reckon you have a small fracture.

The pain has mostly subsided and the swelling is less than half what it
was in that pic. I'm going out to ride today (before it rains!) and put
together new video for y'all! I found a local park where there's a
large sand area surrounded by large boulders, perfect for hopping,
gapping and dropping! I'll bring a push broom for sweeping off the
sand. Wish me luck but don't say "Break a leg!" :D

--
terrybigwheel

Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

Jerrick
March 31st 06, 09:03 PM
Man, for my birthday i should get a really good digital video camera,
also i want one that can take some high quality still pictures =p

Have fun on your video, its good to hear the swelling has reduced =p
have fun making the new video!

--
Jerrick

from chosen:

can you give me a shoutout in your sig. some thing like i love
jonny....or jonny is the coolest. or be creative. but pleeeasssee can i
have a shoutout from you?

jonny

eccentric.uni
April 2nd 06, 01:17 AM
Owwwwwww dewd i hope your elbow feels better soon... that second picture
is pretty gruesome.... yuck..

Get well soon :)

--
eccentric.uni