PDA

View Full Version : Pull apart Uni every 30-40 rides?

silverfridge
March 30th 06, 09:46 AM
is this a good rule, and do u guys do it, the regrease all moving parts
of uni, rotate cranks, etc.?

--
silverfridge

GOD SPEED!
silverfridge's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11533

kington99
March 30th 06, 10:00 AM
Yeah i remove the cranks, rotate and regrease, strip the pedals to check
bearings and regrease, check the bearing holder bolts and seat bolts on
my Muni. I do it less on ym trials but do also rotate the tyre to stop
getting a flat spot. Incidentally this is for splined cranks, if you
take square tapers on and off you'll eventually wreck them and the hub!

--
kington99

Dave

joemarshall
March 30th 06, 10:55 AM
I mostly only maintain stuff if it starts making a noise, or not
working.

I grease the DMR pedals on my coker every so often, cos they've got a
handy little grease port to put grease in, otherwise they go clicky
after heavy rain.

If I stripped it down every 30 rides, that'd be once a monthish, I just
don't have the time. To be honest, I think doing maintenance when
you've not got problems isn't a good idea, cos doing the work can cause
problems.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

phil
March 30th 06, 11:20 AM
joemarshall wrote:
> I grease the DMR pedals on my coker every so often, cos they've got a
> handy little grease port to put grease in, otherwise they go clicky
> after heavy rain.

Do they have a handy grease port to ease regreasing after lots of water
has got in through the handy grease port? :)

Phil

--
phil

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

plumsie
March 30th 06, 01:52 PM
kington99 wrote:
> Yeah i remove the cranks, rotate and regrease, strip the pedals to check
> bearings and regrease, check the bearing holder bolts and seat bolts on
> my Muni. I do it less on ym trials but do also rotate the tyre to stop
> getting a flat spot. Incidentally this is for splined cranks, if you
> take square tapers on and off you'll eventually wreck them and the hub!

Why if you are rotating the cranks do you rotate the tyre aswell?
Surely if you rotate the cranks then you have effectively rotated the
tyre as the cranks line up with a different part of the tyre. Infact,
if you rotate them in the same direction then you will end up causing a
flatspot on your tyre rather than preventing one.

Plumsie

--
plumsie
plumsie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9800

joemarshall
March 30th 06, 02:16 PM
phil wrote:
> Do they have a handy grease port to ease regreasing after lots of water
> has got in through the handy grease port? :)

They have a handy allen key stopper that sits in the handy grease port
to stop rain getting in.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

kington99
March 30th 06, 10:41 PM
plumsie wrote:
> Why if you are rotating the cranks do you rotate the tyre aswell? Surely
> if you rotate the cranks then you have effectively rotated the tyre as
> the cranks line up with a different part of the tyre. Infact, if you
> rotate them in the same direction then you will end up causing a
> flatspot on your tyre rather than preventing one.
>
> Plumsie

Explanation needed, as my trials has the modern KH cranks i feel the
need to rotate the cranks only infrequently, the tyre needs rotating
more than this so it needs to be done on its own sometimes. Obviously
if i was rotating the cranks i wouldn't do the tyre aswell. In any
case, I would only cause a flatspot if i rotated them the same amount
in the same direction, which is unlikely to happen.

--
kington99

Dave

Google