PDA

View Full Version : Worst UPD in the History of Man

vivalargo
March 30th 06, 06:49 PM
Over 100 mph on a mountain bike. How he survived remains a mystery.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-162891478515007486

Click Bicycle Crash

JL

--
vivalargo
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

amanda.gallacher
March 30th 06, 07:02 PM
ouch

--
amanda.gallacher

'my gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/dpa27)

'unicycle.com' (http://www.unicycle.uk.com)

- add me
amanda.gallacher's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10009

domesticated ape
March 30th 06, 07:02 PM
I've seen that before, it's pretty harsh!

Apparently the first run is on a standard Giant DH bike, and the second
is on a specially-made carbon-framed bike built for the speed record.
Why anyone would need a carbon frame for a downhill speed record is
beyond me, but it obviously wasn't up to the job!

The fact that his helmet goes flying off is pretty dodgy too, if I was
him I would be seriously p*****-off with the helmet manufacturers!

--
domesticated ape

i like bananas, monkey nuts and grapes
domesticated ape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8599

johnfoss
March 30th 06, 07:37 PM
Worst dismount with most camera angles. Ouch!

domesticated ape wrote:
> The fact that his helmet goes flying off is pretty dodgy too, if I was
> him I would be seriously p*****-off with the helmet manufacturers!

The helmet has to be properly fit to the rider, and properly strapped
on, before you go and start blaming someone else... Fortunately the
"riding surface" looked relatively crash-friendly. Crumbled lava is
probably better than slickrock, for instance, or the stuff Kris Holm
rode down on Orizaba when he did his big flip-crash in that video.

I told you those bike-thingies were dangerous!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

domesticated ape
March 30th 06, 08:37 PM
johnfoss wrote:
> Worst dismount with most camera angles. Ouch!
>

> The helmet has to be properly fit to the rider, and properly strapped
> on, before you go and start blaming someone else... Fortunately the
> "riding surface" looked relatively crash-friendly. Crumbled lava is
> probably better than slickrock, for instance, or the stuff Kris Holm
> rode down on Orizaba when he did his big flip-crash in that video.
>
> I told you those bike-thingies were dangerous!

Yeah that's a good point, I suppose you can't tell if he was actually
wearing it properly from the vid.

I haven't seen the Kris Holm crash, what video is it on?

--
domesticated ape

i like bananas, monkey nuts and grapes
domesticated ape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8599

swarbrim
March 30th 06, 08:47 PM
He tried for the speed record with a normal bike. He broke it with the
normal bike then went for a faster time with the custom and well...

Mike

--
swarbrim

:D add me at

"I know how you feel. I live in England, and I was given a raincoat for
Christmas three years ago, and I still haven't had chance to use it. "
-- Mike Fule
swarbrim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11005

trials_uni
March 30th 06, 09:41 PM
his whole freakin frame snapped right in half:eek:

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/fculm)

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

James_Potter
March 30th 06, 10:31 PM
daaang, I don't think bike frames are supposed to do that...I'm glad he
lived though.

--
James_Potter

i still believe that all you need is love...john lennon
jonny peacock is my main man.
mikael atkinson
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
*President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)*

kington99
March 30th 06, 10:37 PM
Also that looks like a speed helmet, they're designed more for a lower
aerodynamic drag than actual crash protection, it rpobably wouldn;t
have done that much anyway.

--
kington99

Dave

babyivan
March 30th 06, 11:50 PM
That was awesome!!!

--
babyivan

*NO SLEEP TILL BROOKLYN!*
babyivan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11031

uniMcPeat
March 31st 06, 12:28 AM
Ouch that hurt, I felt it.

--
uniMcPeat

Mega League Pogo Team 05-06

> i have a headache

-unijesse

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
uniMcPeat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10313

lucky_8
March 31st 06, 01:07 AM
ouch

--
lucky_8

life is a whole lot more fun when you live it on just one wheel.
lucky_8's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11685

madmattunipro
March 31st 06, 04:45 AM
The Kris Holm crash can be seen on the unizaba trailer. It's not great
and you don't get the whole crash, but you can get the idea without
buying the video. You can find it on www.krisholm.com , go to
galleries.

--
madmattunipro

Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving in a
pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly
used up, totally worn out, and loudly declaring, "WOW what a ride!"
madmattunipro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10763

jake_amos
March 31st 06, 06:10 AM
James_Potter wrote:
> daaang, I don't think bike frames are supposed to do that...I'm glad he
> lived though.

its a weak frame designed for speed not going over bumps at 163 mph

--
jake_amos

i use the karate kid style of persistance 'wax on - wax off' cept mine
is about my uni 'fall on - fall off'
add me at
jake_amos's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11587

caw89
March 31st 06, 06:47 AM
Does anyone know what kinda of injuries he sustained, cause I dont know
about you guys, but I cant speak Japanese...

--
caw89

'Cody's Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Codys-Gallery)
'Pedal protector' (http://pedalprotector.com/)
AIM: unicaw89

-last edited by god on 3000-01-01 at 12:00 am-
caw89's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8228

phthoruth
March 31st 06, 07:34 AM
And they say unicycling is dangerous...
he should have had a coker

--
phthoruth
phthoruth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11491

kington99
March 31st 06, 10:10 AM
jake_amos wrote:
> its a weak frame designed for speed not going over bumps at 163 mph

Surely that was 163 kph? The terminal velocity of a human body is
around 180mph, he wasn't dropping anything like vertically and there
would have been an appreciable amount of energy loss in the bike, this
sort of speed would be impossible unless he had a gear big enough to
propell himself downwards.

--
kington99

Dave

jake_amos
March 31st 06, 11:19 AM
kington99 wrote:
> Surely that was 163 kph? The terminal velocity of a human body is around
> 180mph, he wasn't dropping anything like vertically and there would
> have been an appreciable amount of energy loss in the bike, this sort
> of speed would be impossible unless he had a gear big enough to propell
> himself downwards.

perhaps but the angle plus weight and aerodynamics would have come into
play it was a very anged hill it look close to vertical his helmet and
clothes are designed to lower wind resistence plus on the first attempt
he had a normal DH bike so the carbon fibre frame would have helped
alot

--
jake_amos

i use the karate kid style of persistance 'wax on - wax off' cept mine
is about my uni 'fall on - fall off'
add me at
jake_amos's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11587

Seager
March 31st 06, 12:54 PM
Or the fact that the rest of the world used Kilometers and their meter
probably was in KPH and not MPH.

--
Seager

'Team RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
(http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)
Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840

zippy
March 31st 06, 01:01 PM
well this is norm done of special racers down snow slopes, and your more
likely to survive :D

--
zippy
zippy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11885

monkeyman
March 31st 06, 01:20 PM
-grimaces-
ouch....that had to hurt....
It is in kph guys...I checked

--
monkeyman

Radical Reed wrote:
> Truedat rap is, Rednecks Atempting Poetry

'just' (http://oldeenglish.org/gymclass.html) about the coolest thing
I've ever seen
I am an MRian prophet, follower of 768
monkeyman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11455

GILD
March 31st 06, 02:54 PM
Seager wrote:
> Or the fact that the rest of the world used Kilometers and their meter
> probably was in KPH and not MPH.

Yeah.

Screenshot.

Reading is so overrated...

|Filename: untitled.JPG |

GILD

'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
(http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'world jump
day' (http://www.worldjumpday.org/)
'if i'm murdered, don't execute my killer.'
(http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/1539/)
'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

remus
March 31st 06, 09:55 PM
i remeber watching a program about that a while ago (in english).
If i remeber correctly one of his hands had to be rebuilt because it
got completelyey destroyed and he had lots of broken bones, apart from
that there wasnt really anything else. I dont think he got his head
mashed in or anything similar, bloody lucky to survive if you ask me.

rem

--
remus

keep smiling, it makes people wander what your up to.:D
remus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11870

gerblefranklin
March 31st 06, 10:47 PM
Ouch. His forearms are not straight after the crash. Looks like he's got
more than a few extra bones by the time he stops...

jake_amos wrote:
> perhaps but the angle plus weight and aerodynamics would have come into
> play it was a very anged hill it look close to vertical his helmet and
> clothes are designed to lower wind resistence plus on the first attempt
> he had a normal DH bike so the carbon fibre frame would have helped
> alot

You don't know what you're talking about, do you? Of course
aerodynamics would have come into play, and Kington addressed that when
he mentioned terminal velocity. Terminal V is the top speed that
something can fall STRAIGHT DOWN. That means that if you are on an
incline, top speed will decrease, since gravity has less mechanical
advantage.

Of course carbon fiber makes us go faster, since it sounds high-tech.
Honestly, I think a lead bike would have been best, since wind
resistance would have been a smaller factor. The only reason I can see
for the cf going faster is that the wheels and frame had a better
aerodynamic profile.

--
gerblefranklin

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

David_Stone
March 31st 06, 11:46 PM
gerblefranklin wrote:

> Of course carbon fiber makes us go faster, since it sounds high-tech.
> Honestly, I think a lead bike would have been best, since wind
> resistance would have been a smaller factor. The only reason I can see
> for the cf going faster is that the wheels and frame had a better
> aerodynamic profile.

Hey, gf. Pretty interesting theory.

Now, "aerodynamic profile" sounds pretty hi-tech. And "carbon
composite" sounds even techier than "carbon fiber," which to me sounds
like something that goes down your colon really fast, or maybe that's
just because I'm nearing geezerhood.

So, I bet that if that guy had used a carbon "composite" instead of
some organic breakfast cereal, he could have gone even faster,
especially if he'd used lead paint on the bike (to fool god).

--
David_Stone

Dictator for Life,
NYUC

Check out my blog (or else):
http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/
David_Stone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3834

manon1wheel
March 31st 06, 11:50 PM
did anyone else see his elbow after the crash? what that earodynamics or
was ita brooken bone...

that video made me gag

--
manon1wheel

Riley

I LOVE YOU GILBY
manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

Seager
April 1st 06, 12:20 AM
You need to figure in rolling resistance as well when thinking about a
lead bike.

--
Seager

'Team RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
(http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)
Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840

steveyo
April 1st 06, 02:38 AM
jake_amos wrote:
> its a weak frame designed for speed not going over bumps at 163 mph

Err...I think it was 163 KILOMETERS/hr.

--
steveyo

steveyo

...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

manon1wheel
April 1st 06, 04:42 AM
manon1wheel wrote:
> did anyone else see his elbow after the crash? what that earodynamics or
> was ita brooken bone...
>
> that video made me gag

hmmh

--
manon1wheel

Riley

I LOVE YOU GILBY
manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

THE dave
April 1st 06, 04:48 AM
it was on ripleys.. it was nuts

--
THE dave

Toast
dave

psychoteledave2(at)hotmail(dot)com
Team Yams

- last edited by james_potter on 2005-10-5 at 3:58pm

last edited by unitik908 on 2005-09-06 at 04:12 am

last edited by forrestunifreak on 2005-09-09 at 03:51 am-
THE dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9259

paco
April 1st 06, 05:05 AM
It seems that if you're trying to beat the world record for downhill,
you should build something that more closely resembles a tank, albeit
an aerodynamic one. Heavier is better, to a point, when trying to go
downwards.

--
paco

Blah Blah Blah BACON Blah Blah Blah
--Harper a-la Catboy

768
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

manon1wheel
April 1st 06, 05:06 AM
does anybody else notice this?

*cough cough* *GAG* his arm*GAG* *cough cough*

|Filename: oucy.bmp |

manon1wheel

Riley

I LOVE YOU GILBY
manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

jake_amos
April 1st 06, 07:07 AM
steveyo wrote:
> Err...I think it was 163 KILOMETERS/hr.

yeh we all no that now i was wrong but ky excuse is that the 'k' key
and the 'm' key are close together (even tho i know i screwed up):D

--
jake_amos

i use the karate kid style of persistance 'wax on - wax off' cept mine
is about my uni 'fall on - fall off'
add me at
jake_amos's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11587

jake_amos
April 1st 06, 07:08 AM
manon1wheel wrote:
> does anybody else notice this?
>
> *cough cough* *GAG* his arm*GAG* *cough cough*

ouuuuuuuuuch!

--
jake_amos

i use the karate kid style of persistance 'wax on - wax off' cept mine
is about my uni 'fall on - fall off'
add me at
jake_amos's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11587

manon1wheel
April 1st 06, 08:35 PM
i didnt think anybody saw that

--
manon1wheel

Riley

I LOVE YOU GILBY
manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

eccentric.uni
April 2nd 06, 01:22 AM
Whoa! thats insane! had to hurt super much... and he had to be like IM
GONNA DIE like the second that bike broke.. and ow.. the rolling..
owww.....*cringes*

--
eccentric.uni

:D :D :D :D :D
eccentric.uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11711

trials_uni
April 2nd 06, 03:50 AM
i have a contestant video for worst upd...its not as fast of speed but
it still looks pretty darn painful.

'Head Over Heels' (http://hallpass.com/media/headoverheels.html)

--

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

manon1wheel
April 2nd 06, 04:40 AM