PDA

View Full Version : Idiot question regarding FSA Mega EXO

Lou D'Amelio
March 31st 06, 03:36 AM
Hi - I just bought a new Cervelo P2SL which came with a FSA SLK Mega
Exo crank/BB. Not familiar with these as I am generally a Campy guy but
the economics of the situation ($2500 for a full Dura Ace/FSA rocket)
led me to go with this bike since I'll be using it mostly for short
TT's. Anyway, my question aboout the crank/BB - is there supposed to
be any kind of cap/cover on the drive side ? It's open and I can see
clear throught the spindle and out the non-drive side. I just wanted to
make sure I didn't drop anything on the road. I would go back to the
shop where I bought it, but 1) it's 75 miles from here and 2) I would
rather ask a stupid question like this with the anonymity of the
Internet rather than look like a jackass in person.
TIA for replies...........Lou D'Amelio

tiborg
March 31st 06, 08:40 AM
What an incredible coincidence that I bought a Giant Trance3 with FSA
cranks a couple weeks ago and just yesterday I was looking at the crank
and wondering the same thing. I have a photo of it the day I brought it
back from the store and it shows the hole. It seems to be by design
though since the plastic axel covers everything up pretty well.
Certainly looks odd though.

Lou D'Amelio
March 31st 06, 11:50 AM
Yep, I had come to the conclusions mentioned by Mike above and scoured
the web for pix and read the installation instructions. I'm 99 % sure
that's the way it's supposed to be, but wanted confirmation from
another owner or one of the sages of the NG.
Lou D'Amelio

Qui si parla Campagnolo
March 31st 06, 02:27 PM
Lou D'Amelio wrote:
> Hi - I just bought a new Cervelo P2SL which came with a FSA SLK Mega
> Exo crank/BB. Not familiar with these as I am generally a Campy guy but
> the economics of the situation ($2500 for a full Dura Ace/FSA rocket)
> led me to go with this bike since I'll be using it mostly for short
> TT's. Anyway, my question aboout the crank/BB - is there supposed to
> be any kind of cap/cover on the drive side ?

Nope, big hole, put a patch kit in there....

It's open and I can see
> clear throught the spindle and out the non-drive side. I just wanted to
> make sure I didn't drop anything on the road. I would go back to the
> shop where I bought it, but 1) it's 75 miles from here and 2) I would
> rather ask a stupid question like this with the anonymity of the
> Internet rather than look like a jackass in person.
> TIA for replies...........Lou D'Amelio

Bestest Handsander
March 31st 06, 04:59 PM
"Lou D'Amelio" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>Anyway, my question aboout the crank/BB - is there supposed to
> be any kind of cap/cover on the drive side ? It's open and I can see
> clear throught the spindle and out the non-drive side. I just wanted to
> make sure I didn't drop anything on the road. I would go back to the
> shop where I bought it, but 1) it's 75 miles from here and 2) I would
> rather ask a stupid question like this with the anonymity of the
> Internet rather than look like a jackass in person.
> TIA for replies...........Lou D'Amelio

That's the way mine came. Pics in cycling catalogs show it open. I wonder if
a bar plug would fit? Have to try that. Supposed to rain all day tomorrow.

Jasper Janssen
April 2nd 06, 04:34 PM
On 31 Mar 2006 05:27:30 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
> wrote:
>Lou D'Amelio wrote:
>> Hi - I just bought a new Cervelo P2SL which came with a FSA SLK Mega
>> Exo crank/BB. Not familiar with these as I am generally a Campy guy but
>> the economics of the situation ($2500 for a full Dura Ace/FSA rocket)
>> led me to go with this bike since I'll be using it mostly for short
>> TT's. Anyway, my question aboout the crank/BB - is there supposed to
>> be any kind of cap/cover on the drive side ?
>
>Nope, big hole, put a patch kit in there....

Butbutbut... rotating weight!

Jasper

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home