PDA

View Full Version : no reports from GWABR yet????

Ideal
March 31st 06, 04:20 AM
Surprised to see no reports from the Albany-Perth ride yet....I read a
warning on the TWA site to be aware of the ride using the Kwinana Fwy path
this Saturday.

Ideal WA
http://ideal1984.blogspot.com/

DaveB
March 31st 06, 04:41 AM
Ideal wrote:
> Surprised to see no reports from the Albany-Perth ride yet....I read a
> warning on the TWA site to be aware of the ride using the Kwinana Fwy path
> this Saturday.
>
> Ideal WA
> http://ideal1984.blogspot.com/

Yeah and what happened to all those GVBR green bikes from this year. I
was waiting for a cheap on eto appear on ebay for SS conversion??

DaveB

Resound
March 31st 06, 05:38 AM
DaveB Wrote:
> Ideal wrote:
> > Surprised to see no reports from the Albany-Perth ride yet....I read
> > warning on the TWA site to be aware of the ride using the Kwinana Fwy
> path
> > this Saturday.
> >
> > Ideal WA
> > http://ideal1984.blogspot.com/
> >

> Yeah and what happened to all those GVBR green bikes from this year. I
> was waiting for a cheap on eto appear on ebay for SS conversion??
>
> DaveB

Maybe they were actually good enough to keep?

--
Resound

Grazza
March 31st 06, 11:34 AM
"Resound" > wrote in message

> DaveB Wrote:
>> Ideal wrote:
>> > Surprised to see no reports from the Albany-Perth ride yet....I read
>> > warning on the TWA site to be aware of the ride using the Kwinana Fwy
>> path
>> > this Saturday.
>> >
>> > Ideal WA
>> > http://ideal1984.blogspot.com/
>> >

>> Yeah and what happened to all those GVBR green bikes from this year. I
>> was waiting for a cheap on eto appear on ebay for SS conversion??
>>
>> DaveB
>
> Maybe they were actually good enough to keep?
>

> --
> Resound

My 'source' from inside the Albany-Margaret River section of this year's
GWABR told me the bikes provided were pretty crap, with multiple problems
with gears etc.

Forewarned is forearmed (or 2 armed with cash still in hand to buy something
decent?).

Graeme

DaveB
April 1st 06, 12:43 AM
Grazza wrote:

> Forewarned is forearmed (or 2 armed with cash still in hand to buy something
> decent?).

Crap is good, it's a project, besides isn't bikes in the shed all about
quantity, not quality ;) I really only wanted the frame because it had
horizontal dropouts and figured at least some of the other parts would
be salvageable.

DaveB

BrettS
April 1st 06, 06:36 AM
Ideal wrote:
> Surprised to see no reports from the Albany-Perth ride yet....I read a
> warning on the TWA site to be aware of the ride using the Kwinana Fwy path
> this Saturday.
>
> Ideal WA
> http://ideal1984.blogspot.com/

Here's what I have seen during my daily commute to take the kids to school:

Thursday afternoon I saw them heading into Bunbury along Bussell Highway
where organizers had installed cones to keep the left lane free of cars.
Friday morning I saw them headed north along the Old Coast Road.
About 10kms out of Bunbury and they were already spread out over a
distance of more than 4 km! Almost everyone was doing it tough on their
own into the NE wind. I did see one group being led by an older bloke
(Actually they nearly ALL seemed to be older riders) and there were a
bunch or riders tucked in behind him.

There seemed to be a bit of chaos as some riders chose to ride along the
road and others crossed over to ride on the 'path' until it ran out and
they tried to cross back over during 'peak hour'!

I also saw one younger girl on a 'bent who seemed to be having a nice
chat with one of the police escort riders.

There were quite a few of the Green/Black GWABR bikes in evidence.

--
BrettS

SomeGuy
April 1st 06, 09:37 AM
DaveB Wrote:
> Yeah and what happened to all those GVBR green bikes from this year. I
> was waiting for a cheap one to appear on ebay for SS conversion??

Wow, I could actually have a use for one of the three(!) my family has
lying around. How would you go about doing it? You'd need to put
something in the dropout wouldn't you?

--
SomeGuy

DeF
April 3rd 06, 01:46 AM
BrettS wrote:
> Ideal wrote:
>> Surprised to see no reports from the Albany-Perth ride yet....I read a
>> warning on the TWA site to be aware of the ride using the Kwinana Fwy
>> path this Saturday.
>>
>> Ideal WA
>> http://ideal1984.blogspot.com/
>>

> Here's what I have seen during my daily commute to take the kids to school:
>
> Thursday afternoon I saw them heading into Bunbury along Bussell Highway
> where organizers had installed cones to keep the left lane free of cars.
> Friday morning I saw them headed north along the Old Coast Road. About
> 10kms out of Bunbury and they were already spread out over a distance of
> more than 4 km! Almost everyone was doing it tough on their own into
> the NE wind. I did see one group being led by an older bloke (Actually
> they nearly ALL seemed to be older riders) and there were a bunch or
> riders tucked in behind him.
>
> There seemed to be a bit of chaos as some riders chose to ride along the
> road and others crossed over to ride on the 'path' until it ran out and
> they tried to cross back over during 'peak hour'!
>
> I also saw one younger girl on a 'bent who seemed to be having a nice
> chat with one of the police escort riders.
>
> There were quite a few of the Green/Black GWABR bikes in evidence.
>
> --
> BrettS

I went for a ride on Saturday late morning. I headed south from
Farrington Rd next to the freeway against the traffic of the GWABR.
Must have passed 80 odd (word used advisedly) on various machines.
About half where the green machines I reckon, lots of older people,
lots of people who didn't look that comfortable. Saw a couple of
'bents, a few tandems including one with a child seat on the back.
Saw one trailer bike. Very few drop bar bikes which is one thing
that has changed a lot since my touring days in the 80's.

Most people looked pretty happy, the path there is good and they
had the wind on their backs by that stage.

DeF.

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

Jack Russell
April 3rd 06, 04:58 AM
DeF > wrote:

> BrettS wrote:
>
>> Ideal wrote:
>>
>>> Surprised to see no reports from the Albany-Perth ride yet....I read
>>> a warning on the TWA site to be aware of the ride using the Kwinana
>>> Fwy path this Saturday.
>>>
>>> Ideal WA
>>> http://ideal1984.blogspot.com/
>>>

>> Here's what I have seen during my daily commute to take the kids to
>> school:
>>
>> Thursday afternoon I saw them heading into Bunbury along Bussell
>> Highway where organizers had installed cones to keep the left lane
>> free of cars. Friday morning I saw them headed north along the Old
>> Coast Road. About 10kms out of Bunbury and they were already spread
>> out over a distance of more than 4 km! Almost everyone was doing it
>> tough on their own into the NE wind. I did see one group being led by
>> an older bloke (Actually they nearly ALL seemed to be older riders)
>> and there were a bunch or riders tucked in behind him.
>>
>> There seemed to be a bit of chaos as some riders chose to ride along
>> the road and others crossed over to ride on the 'path' until it ran
>> out and they tried to cross back over during 'peak hour'!
>>
>> I also saw one younger girl on a 'bent who seemed to be having a nice
>> chat with one of the police escort riders.
>>
>> There were quite a few of the Green/Black GWABR bikes in evidence.
>>
>> --
>> BrettS
>

> I went for a ride on Saturday late morning. I headed south from
> Farrington Rd next to the freeway against the traffic of the GWABR.
> Must have passed 80 odd (word used advisedly) on various machines.
> About half where the green machines I reckon, lots of older people,
> lots of people who didn't look that comfortable. Saw a couple of
> 'bents, a few tandems including one with a child seat on the back.
> Saw one trailer bike. Very few drop bar bikes which is one thing
> that has changed a lot since my touring days in the 80's.
>
> Most people looked pretty happy, the path there is good and they
> had the wind on their backs by that stage.
>
> DeF.

I did the whole ride, some of the nicest riding I have done in
Australia, especially the first week.Good support from local towns and I
believe over half the riders were from WA, most doing their first ride.
Marred by some VicBike cockups particularly relating to sleep easy,
overcrowding and bike boxing at the ride end.
Why do they get so much so right then spoil it with what appears to be
greed driven motives?

--
Remove norubbish to reply

DaveB
April 10th 06, 11:38 PM
DaveB wrote:

> Yeah and what happened to all those GVBR green bikes from this year. I
> was waiting for a cheap on eto appear on ebay for SS conversion??
>
> DaveB

Found one, at the bargain Buy It Now price of $180!!!! Tell 'im e's
dreamin'". Alright it's for charity, but please a bit of a reality check
here people.

http://tinyurl.com/qckmc

DaveB

Zebee Johnstone
April 10th 06, 11:54 PM
In aus.bicycle on Tue, 11 Apr 2006 08:38:16 +1000
DaveB > wrote:
> DaveB wrote:
>>>
>> Yeah and what happened to all those GVBR green bikes from this year. I
>> was waiting for a cheap on eto appear on ebay for SS conversion??
>
> Found one, at the bargain Buy It Now price of $180!!!! Tell 'im e's
> dreamin'". Alright it's for charity, but please a bit of a reality check
> here people.

What's it competing against?

Zebee

Jack Russell
April 11th 06, 04:03 AM
Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Tue, 11 Apr 2006 08:38:16 +1000
> DaveB > wrote:
>
>>DaveB wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah and what happened to all those GVBR green bikes from this year. I
>>>was waiting for a cheap on eto appear on ebay for SS conversion??
>>
>>Found one, at the bargain Buy It Now price of $180!!!! Tell 'im e's
>>dreamin'". Alright it's for charity, but please a bit of a reality check
>>here people.
>

> What's it competing against?
>
> Zebee
I must say I was impressed by how well they went (although I am not sure
the support mechanics were!). The biggest roadside problem seemed to be
broken chains, something that you never see normally

--
Remove norubbish to reply

wayneo
April 11th 06, 06:12 AM
I road one of the free bikes on it as did my Dad. The gears aren't
great. I found I was adjusting them every second day on the ride.
However they did last and were very reliable. The only problem I had
was the chain broke but the onroute bike mechanics fixed that. The
speed that i was riding at was up with those on the $2000 racers, but
that has to do with the rider and not the bike.

Grazza wrote:
> "Resound" > wrote in message
> >
> > DaveB Wrote:
> >> path

> >> Yeah and what happened to all those GVBR green bikes from this year. I
> >> was waiting for a cheap on eto appear on ebay for SS conversion??
> >>
> >> DaveB
> >
> > Maybe they were actually good enough to keep?
> >

> > --
> > Resound
>
> My 'source' from inside the Albany-Margaret River section of this year's
> GWABR told me the bikes provided were pretty crap, with multiple problems
> with gears etc.
>
> Forewarned is forearmed (or 2 armed with cash still in hand to buy something
> decent?).
>
> Graeme

wayneo
April 11th 06, 06:20 AM
As for the older people. The average age was about 60. I'm 23 and i was
lucky to find a friend on the ride from Perth who was 21. The majority
of people were very old and seemed a generation apart. The ride itself
was a little two easy. People were complaining about the hills, but the
hills were very short so they weren't a problem for me. I wasn't really
challenged at all. The actual location and the places we rode were so
great and very beautiful. Coming into Perth was really great on the
50Km of bike path was very good. I averaged 27Km/h that day which was
94Km and I was riding the free bike. Overall i thoroughly enjoyed the
ride and would encourage others to go on it next time it's on.

wayneo
April 11th 06, 06:24 AM
Oh, they also mentioned that the free bike will no longer be available.
You will need to pay $80 for them but as an added bonus they are
offering good discounts for those that book early for an event.

TimC
April 11th 06, 06:54 AM
On 2006-04-11, Jack Russell (aka Bruce)
> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>> In aus.bicycle on Tue, 11 Apr 2006 08:38:16 +1000
>> DaveB > wrote:
>>>Found one, at the bargain Buy It Now price of $180!!!! Tell 'im e's
>>>dreamin'". Alright it's for charity, but please a bit of a reality check
>>>here people.
>>
>> What's it competing against?
> I must say I was impressed by how well they went (although I am not sure
> the support mechanics were!). The biggest roadside problem seemed to be
> broken chains, something that you never see normally

Do you mean, you never see broken chains normally with a selection of
experienced cyclists, or you never see broken chains normally from a
selection of beginners who have just gotten their first bike, which
just happened to have a honeycomb or green colourscheme with BV
branding?

I can see bad shifting technique from inexperienced riders
contributing to premature chain failure.

--
TimC
Sign on door of computing lecturer: "If your project is 90% right,

wayneo
April 11th 06, 09:09 AM
I see it as chains that had the odd weak link in them. I'm an
experienced rider and I've been using my bike which I left at home in
Melbourne for 5 years and never had a broken chain but with the free
bike it broke in the first 5 days.

wayneo
April 11th 06, 10:42 AM
I see it as chains that had the odd weak link in them. I'm an
experienced rider and I've been using my bike which I left at home in
Melbourne for 5 years and never had a broken chain but with the free
bike it broke in the first 5 days.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home