PDA

View Full Version : Riding the suburbs at night

pete
March 31st 06, 05:30 AM
Riding the suburbs at night

I need two things for my new bike:
Tyres suited for riding on grass and lights.

What sort of tyres should I be lookig for? XC semi-slicks?
I don't want to ride my knobblies on the road but don't want
to fall over when riding across the grass of parklands.

I had a thought for lights;
Auto shops sell rechargeable spotlights. Some even claim to
put out "1 million candlepower" (what's that in lumens?). So I
figure if I can put up with the bulk and the weight I'd be able to
see where I was going under any conditions.

These lights are about $40 which makes them cheaper than the
home made ones I've seen on websites.

Does anyone know the runtime of one of these lights and, other
than size and dazzling motorists, what disadvantages I may
have overlooked.

cfsmtb
March 31st 06, 05:58 AM
I'd also suggest some reflective material on the pedally. My "Daily
Driver" looks kinda steathly until car headlights bounce off it. Ever
heard of the old "Sidelights" stickers? Got them on the frame, wheelset
etc, Peter Moore at Abbotsford Cycles has packets of them. Or he did the
last time I checked.
Refer here for bike pic, just ignore the nutbag attempting to fly off
the end of Station Pier. :D :D :D :D :D
http://www.flickr.com/photos/51035538080@N01/112291312/

--
cfsmtb

Marx SS
March 31st 06, 06:19 AM
Tyres: Specalized Hemisphere 2.0 on my commuter MTB. They're abit narly,
with a substantial body to them & humm on the road (so dubbing my
commuter as: 'the Hummer' ) but they offer magnificent grip on many
things & give me the confidence to take on all roadside 'detours' rain
hail or shine.

[image:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/141/cat/500/ppuser/61772]

As for lights, I'm lucky enough not to have to depend on seeing where
I'm going t5oo much at the bike paths & roads I travel have street
lighting [mostly]. So get away with a rear flasher & a 'bar mounted
light more to be seen than cast a beam.

--
Marx SS

flyingdutch
March 31st 06, 07:11 AM
Resound Wrote:
> Ooh, I like. I should get some of those, I think.

you can buy a roll of that stuff at CW's (pro'lly elsewhere also...)
for approx 7-8bucks to do mor ehtan a bike's worth of frame/helmet,
other bits, rims etc

--
flyingdutch

Resound
March 31st 06, 07:30 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> you can buy a roll of that stuff at CW's (pro'lly elsewhere also...) for
> approx 7-8bucks to do mor ehtan a bike's worth of frame/helmet, other
> bits, rims etc

Well I ride enough at night to make that a really good idea. I finish
work at 9pm today, for example. So I may be somewhat late at Goat.

--
Resound

Wilfred Kazoks
March 31st 06, 10:07 PM
I heard that these lights rated at 1million candlepower are a combination of
an admittedly pretty bright bulb and a reflector that can focus the beam
fairly tightly. Great for roo-shooters. I think a cyclist could do with a
wider more even beam to allow hazards slightly to the side, such as where
you might turn into them, to be clearly seen.

Just my 2cents
Wilfred
"pete" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Riding the suburbs at night
>

> I need two things for my new bike:
> Tyres suited for riding on grass and lights.
>
> What sort of tyres should I be lookig for? XC semi-slicks?
> I don't want to ride my knobblies on the road but don't want
> to fall over when riding across the grass of parklands.
>

> I had a thought for lights;
> Auto shops sell rechargeable spotlights. Some even claim to
> put out "1 million candlepower" (what's that in lumens?). So I
> figure if I can put up with the bulk and the weight I'd be able to
> see where I was going under any conditions.
>
> These lights are about $40 which makes them cheaper than the
> home made ones I've seen on websites.
>

> Does anyone know the runtime of one of these lights and, other
> than size and dazzling motorists, what disadvantages I may
> have overlooked.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home