PDA

View Full Version : Info needed, history of slacklining, Steve McPeak

danger_uni
March 31st 06, 09:30 PM
Hey,

A friend of mine is writing a magazine article on slackline walking.

Just wondering if anybody knows some good articles/resources on the
history of slackline walking.

Apparently Steve McPeak did the first highline slackline walk in
Yosemite valley. Any information on this would be great.

Also anyone have contact info for Steve?

Thanks,

Kris Holm

--
danger_uni
danger_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/21

Harley
March 31st 06, 10:46 PM
A reference to circus performers "walking the slack line" is made in the
novel "Hard Times" by Charles Dickens published in 1854. There is no
mention of how this line is rigged or what performers did on the line
but possibly more info could be obtained from periodicals from this
era.
I have had a small amount of experiensce with slack lines, and just
for the record I think I will stick to unicyling. (way safer)

--
Harley
Harley's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11821

danger_uni
March 31st 06, 10:53 PM
Interesting. Apparently there is also reference to slacklining by the
ancient Greeks, so it has definately been around for a while.

Anyone know about slacklining in China or Russia? I bet it goes way
back there as well.

Kris

--
danger_uni
danger_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/21

paco
April 1st 06, 04:54 AM
Slacklining probably outdates tightropes. All you really need is a rope
attached between two trees and you've got a primitive slackline.
You'll probably want to find information on modern slacklining, the
kind invented by rock climbers.

--
paco

Blah Blah Blah BACON Blah Blah Blah
--Harper a-la Catboy

768
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

Jim_Rob
April 1st 06, 05:16 AM
Hey, am I the only parent here. Doesn't this thread belong in JC?

--
Jim_Rob

TTFN- JR

The Sage claims nothing, and so cannot be reproached, Lao Tzu
Jim_Rob's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3824

maxisback
April 1st 06, 05:30 AM
it's kris ohlm no one would give him crap :p

--
maxisback

Quiters never win, winners never quit , the ones who never win and never
quit are just dumb
maxisback's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10885

Jim_Rob
April 1st 06, 05:35 AM
maxisback wrote:
> it's kris ohlm no one would give him crap :p

Yeah, well he's lucky he lives in BC, or it would be past his bedtime.

--
Jim_Rob

TTFN- JR

The Sage claims nothing, and so cannot be reproached, Lao Tzu
Jim_Rob's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3824

ColDawG
April 1st 06, 05:57 AM
ya, kris can post wherever the heck he wants ;-)

AND posting on RSU nets a lot more replies; I, for one, almost never
look at JC

--
ColDawG

Your friendly, neighborhood Muniman