PDA

View Full Version : Unicycling in Hawaii

THE dave
April 1st 06, 02:44 AM
I was packing my bag for Spring Break in Hawaii with my family when I
realized that I had room for my unicycle in my bag. I completely
disassembled my Qu-Ax and somehow managed to fit it into my bag, with
all of my clothing. I know I can find some street riding to do in the
Waikiki area, but does anyone know of anywhere else for me to ride? Or
a specific place that is good for intermediate street riding?

--
THE dave

Toast
dave

psychoteledave2(at)hotmail(dot)com
Team Yams

- last edited by james_potter on 2005-10-5 at 3:58pm

last edited by unitik908 on 2005-09-06 at 04:12 am

last edited by forrestunifreak on 2005-09-09 at 03:51 am-
THE dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9259

James_Potter
April 1st 06, 03:16 AM
daino### on these forums live in Hawaii. I don't remember the three
numbers at the end of his username, but there are three numbers there.
one time Kris Holm made a short unicycle movie called Hawaii 5-0, in
which he MUnis in Hawaii, but it was just for some short film festival,
so he didn't release it. Somewhere on the forums I bet you can find
the trailer for it though, its really cool.

--
James_Potter

i still believe that all you need is love...john
lennon
mikael atkinson
jonny peacock is my main man.
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
*President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)*

bmemike
April 1st 06, 03:33 AM
I'm really interested in this thread because I'm planning on moving to
Oahu in September.

I'm trying to think about my last visit last June and can't think of
any "great" freestyle areas. There's a ton of pavement in Waikiki but
there's A LOT of people and tons of traffic almost always. The
sidewalks are almost always packed, especially downtown near all the
hotels.

Granted half of my trip was trying to find apartments for my friends,
so I wasn't really looking out for great places to ride.

--
bmemike
bmemike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11148

THE dave
April 1st 06, 03:47 AM
yeah, last time i was there i did't find anything that stuck out at me,
but like you, i wasnt looking for a spot to ride or things to jump off
of.. im sure i can find some steps and ledges around somewhere, but im
worried about all of the people, ive never ridden in front of tons of
people before.. i think most if my riding will be at night though.

--
THE dave

Toast
dave

psychoteledave2(at)hotmail(dot)com
Team Yams

- last edited by james_potter on 2005-10-5 at 3:58pm

last edited by unitik908 on 2005-09-06 at 04:12 am

last edited by forrestunifreak on 2005-09-09 at 03:51 am-
THE dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9259

bmemike
April 1st 06, 04:01 AM
You'll probably want to head down Kalakaua Ave to the South East away
from the larger resorts as that'll be a bit less populated. The problem
with Waikiki at night is all the drunk idiots... as is the case with
any vacation destination, really.

Back up to the North West you get close to Ala Moana Blvd, which can be
really busy for traffic - but I seem to recall some parks near the
Kalakaua / Ala Moana intersection, so that may be some place to at
least get off the streets and find some stuff to bounce around on.

There's also a boat yard a bit further down Ala Moana now that I think
about it. You may be able to find some good curbs and other obsticles
to have some fun on. That'll be plenty quiet in the evening.

Edit: it's just to the north west of the Kahanamoku Lagoon. Use
maps.google.com if you're not sure what I'm talking about. Using the
hybrid mode is great to spec some stuff out!

--
bmemike
bmemike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11148

THE dave
April 1st 06, 04:11 AM
THANKS! Thats awesome advice!

--
THE dave

Toast
dave

psychoteledave2(at)hotmail(dot)com
Team Yams

- last edited by james_potter on 2005-10-5 at 3:58pm

last edited by unitik908 on 2005-09-06 at 04:12 am

last edited by forrestunifreak on 2005-09-09 at 03:51 am-
THE dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9259

THE dave
April 1st 06, 01:58 PM
Im leaving to get on my plane.. so this thread can be TERMINATED

--
THE dave

Toast
dave

psychoteledave2(at)hotmail(dot)com
Team Yams

- last edited by james_potter on 2005-10-5 at 3:58pm

last edited by unitik908 on 2005-09-06 at 04:12 am

last edited by forrestunifreak on 2005-09-09 at 03:51 am-
THE dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9259

critter
April 4th 06, 02:53 AM
THE dave wrote:
> I was packing my bag for Spring Break in Hawaii with my family when I
> realized that I had room for my unicycle in my bag. I completely
> disassembled my Qu-Ax and somehow managed to fit it into my bag, with
> all of my clothing. I know I can find some street riding to do in the
> Waikiki area, but does anyone know of anywhere else for me to ride? Or
> a specific place that is good for intermediate street riding?

:eek: LOOK ME UP! I'm always looking for guest riders. We got great
trails.
Urban rides a sweet also.
aloha

--
critter

MUni-tracked mind 'www.unicyclehawaii.com'
(http://www.unicyclehawaii.com)
critter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8739

daino149
April 4th 06, 03:51 AM
So why is it that everyone is coming to Hawaii after I move away?
Anyway, there are several places for some nice riding. I wouldn't
consider Waikiki one of them. It's one of the many places I have been
asked not to ride. If you are into MUni, look at some MTB sites to
find trails. I have ridden a few but not many. Kaena Point and St.
Louis Heights are a couple of my favs. One thing to keep in mind is
that it has been raining a lot in the islands, so most of the trails
will be mud pits. I was on Oahu last week for a Ulit Frisbee Tourney
and we got rained out.

Have Fun
Dan

--
daino149

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE

THE dave
April 10th 06, 01:12 AM
sorry man... i was on my plane when you made that comment. it rode
mostly urban and didnt find much besides a bunch of short little walls,
a bunch of them were made of lava rocks. They were fun to ride on, but
my hopping height is limited so I could not get onto all of them with
out mounting on them. I was limited in my choices becuase I was in
downtown waikiki and the cops on bikes were EVERYWHERE. Where do you
muni on Oahu?

--
THE dave

Toast
dave

psychoteledave2(at)hotmail(dot)com
Team Yams

- last edited by james_potter on 2005-10-5 at 3:58pm

last edited by unitik908 on 2005-09-06 at 04:12 am

last edited by forrestunifreak on 2005-09-09 at 03:51 am-
THE dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9259

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home