PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to South America

dan42
April 1st 06, 07:03 PM
Hi All,

I Have been planning a Trip to South America with a friend for the last
few months, but just recently found out he cant go. Since I'm going by
myself now, I thought I would take my muni and hit some of the awesome
trails in the Andes.

The problem is, I'm having trouble finding info on mountain biking
trails. I was just wandering if anyone had been to South America
biking or unicycling, or had any info about good trails or just useful
tips.

Thanks

I will be in SA in June and July, so if anyone wants to go just speak
up.

--
dan42
dan42's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11937

jorge
April 4th 06, 04:57 PM
Where in South America will you be staying? Just traveling around?
I can tell you a bit about Argentina, where I am from. Bariloche would
be a great place to go, and if get there you should contact the Club
Andino:

http://www.clubandino.org/

There are a few websites with some guided tours or with just some
trails, but usually pretty incomplete. I would talk to the locals and
find out when you get there.

Some trails:
http://tinyurl.com/ne9q4

But, now I notice you are going in June and July, so remember it will
be winter there, and actually there is a chance that you'll get a lot
of snow on the ground, especially in the hiking or biking trails. There
are still going to be a lot of places to ride, but the further south
you go the more snow you will get, and the colder it will get overall,
especially in the Andes region.

You might consider doing stuff further north, in the Altiplano (high
plains) close to Bolivia. That is a very pretty area, and if you are
going to be there 2 months then you will have plenty of time.

http://www.mtbtours.com/travsalinasaselva.htm

That is a beautiful area. The nickname of the province of Salta is La
Linda (the pretty one) and it is a really nice and scenic area.

I hope this helps some, and if you have any questions feel free to PM
me.

--
jorge
jorge's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7755

dan42
April 4th 06, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the websites. I will be staying in Ecuador for the first
month taking a Spanish course(june 10-july 10). Then I will head south
though Peru and Bolivia and see how far south I can get from July 10 to
September 15. I know its winter down south, but I'm hoping the weather
will be good around the equator.

If I get close to Argentina I will contact your club for sure, thanks
for the invite. That would be alot of fun.

And I think your right, once I get there the locals will know about all
the good trails and places to ride. Maybe I will write a book, it
seems nobody else has.

--
dan42
dan42's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11937

steve.colligan
April 6th 06, 01:58 AM
Hi there,

I just happen to be in Peru on holiday with my family and muni at the
moment. We arrived in Arequipa today, which is on the slopes of 5800
metre volcano (El Misti). Apart from there being snow on the top of
this active volcano, I wont have the time to acclimatize to get to the
summit, so Ill see how high I can get before riding down. Ill let you
know how I get on.

In a weeks time Ill be in Cusco (also in the Andes) sussing out more
muni rides, aswell as spending time with my family of course.

Ive spent time in Equador, Chile and Argentina before and theres plenty
of volcanoes and mountains for you to play on.

Ill keep you posted on how I get on anyway.

Steve

--
steve.colligan

Once is NEVER enough!
steve.colligan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/292

dan42
April 6th 06, 02:22 AM
Nice man, thats awesome! Hope you guys are having a great time.

The biggest question I have for you is how your getting your uni
around. When I go I will most likely be back packing, so I wont have
very much room. I thought about just strapping it on the back of my
pack, but that could get old fast. How are you getting yours around?

Im curious to see how your trip goes, and which countries you liked
best for sightseeing and riding.

Have fun, and I would love to hear more about it.

--
dan42
dan42's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11937

picado
April 6th 06, 05:47 AM
hey!

come to brazil!

--
picado
picado's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11964

steve.colligan
April 21st 06, 03:46 AM
I´m back from Peru next week, so I´ll have more time to post you details
of rides and contacts in Arequipa and Cuzco.

I did manage to get up to 4250 metres on one of the volcanoes for a
30km ride, all downhill.

Steve

--
steve.colligan

Once is NEVER enough!
steve.colligan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/292

GhettoSmurf
April 21st 06, 03:54 AM
dude you have to do the epic 4 day hike from machu pichu to cuzco on a
unicycle. you could do in 1 or 2 days on a 24 in. its like 50 miles.
( i just finished a peru report)

--
GhettoSmurf

formarly unicyclistben
GhettoSmurf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11929

dan42
April 24th 06, 03:38 AM
Yea the machu pichu to cuzco would be really fun. I just got HS-33s, a
thomson seat post, and a new tire for my KH 24, so Im about ready.
Cant wait to go, but worried about packing my uni around.

--
dan42
dan42's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11937

steve.colligan
May 2nd 06, 10:28 PM
Just to let you know that I've not forgotten you. I'll PM you as soon
as possible with contact details in Arequipa and Cusco.

Steve

--
steve.colligan

Once is NEVER enough!