PDA

View Full Version : 7 speed freewheel -14 -18T mean

Mike
April 1st 06, 11:06 PM
Hi,

What does that mean? It's one of the the techical descriptions of a
bike I'm looking at, the Schwinn High Timber.

Thanks!

Mike

Hank Wirtz
April 1st 06, 11:27 PM
"Mike" > wrote in news:1143929200.437024.48500
@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Hi,
>
> What does that mean? It's one of the the techical descriptions of a
> bike I'm looking at, the Schwinn High Timber.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike

I view it as a range of sprockets. Almost certainly a typo for 14-28, a
common range for ATBs in the days of 7 speed.

Mike
April 1st 06, 11:37 PM
Hank Wirtz wrote:
> "Mike" > wrote in news:1143929200.437024.48500
> @g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > What does that mean? It's one of the the techical descriptions of a
> > bike I'm looking at, the Schwinn High Timber.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Mike
> >

> I view it as a range of sprockets. Almost certainly a typo for 14-28, a
> common range for ATBs in the days of 7 speed.

> Boy, I'm so confused. It supposed to be a 21 speed but I couldn't understand why they represented as such, - ie, 7 speed freewheel, etc. Thanks anyhow!

Hank Wirtz
April 2nd 06, 12:03 AM
"Mike" > wrote in
oups.com:

>> Boy, I'm so confused. It supposed to be a 21 speed but I couldn't
>> understand why they represented as such, - ie, 7 speed freewheel,
>> etc. Thanks anyhow!

Now I'm confused. The bike _would_ be a 21 speed, if it has a triple crank
and a 7-speed freewheel or cassette.

When I said "in the days of 7-speed" I meant like 10 years ago.

Am I misunderstanding you?

Peter Cole
April 2nd 06, 01:01 AM
Mike wrote:
> Hank Wirtz wrote:
>> "Mike" > wrote in news:1143929200.437024.48500
>> @g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> What does that mean? It's one of the the techical descriptions of a
>>> bike I'm looking at, the Schwinn High Timber.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>> I view it as a range of sprockets. Almost certainly a typo for 14-28, a
>> common range for ATBs in the days of 7 speed.
>

>> Boy, I'm so confused. It supposed to be a 21 speed but I couldn't understand why they represented as such, - ie, 7 speed freewheel, etc. Thanks anyhow!

It has 2 shifters, one for the front, one for the back. The back has 7
"speeds" (gears) the smallest having 14 teeth, the largest 28. The front
has 3 "speeds", the combinations give 3 x 7 or 21 "speeds". There is
overlap, so not all "speeds" are unique. It sounds complicated, but it
isn't. Typically, you keep the front in the middle and shift between the
7 back "speeds" to match how fast you want to go. If you're riding fast
on flat ground, use the highest front gear, if going uphill slowly, use
the lowest. Easy.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home