PDA

View Full Version : need some advice on choosing a new uni.

wheeliemaster
April 1st 06, 09:58 PM
I've been seriously riding now for 6 months, and my generic Zephyr 24
inch uni is getting a little creaky. I want to get a new one from UDC
but I'm having a little trouble choosing. I wish I could test ride
them!
First, a little about me and my riding. I'm almost 200 pounds, 5 foot
10 inches tall with a 32 inch inseam, I'm 39, and I'm an old BMXer with
alot of bicycle trick riding skills. I kind of want a uni that can
withstand me doing hopping tricks. At this point, all I can do is hop
but I do it often and that is probably what is tearing up my existing
uni!
I don't want anything smaller than a 24 incher, in fact I kind of want
a 26 or 28 as long as I will still be able to do 1 footed tricks and
hopping tricks.

Some of the unis I am considering:
1. Semcycle XL 24 Black Derby
Kind of pricey at $289
2. Nimbus II 24
Seems like a good deal at $184
3. Semcycle XL 28
$214. I like this one as long as it is not to big for tricks.
4. Yuni 26 Black
Also kind of pricey at $269 but a little bigger than 24 and a little
smaller than 28.

Also, if any of you have recommendations on other unis that might fit
my needs. And is it important to have short cranks? My current uni
has long ones and it sure feels different to ride a uni with short
cranks, especially when mounting! Are shorter cranks better for
stability and control?

Thanks!

--
wheeliemaster
wheeliemaster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10962

trials_uni
April 1st 06, 10:05 PM
so you just want a non splined uni that will take a good beating? i
would go for the yuni. its very strong and will get a good life span.
and shorter cranks are nt better for control. the longer the more
controled. shorter cranks are more jumpy in my opinion.

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/fculm)

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

musketman
April 1st 06, 10:19 PM
trials_uni wrote:
> so you just want a non splined uni that will take a good beating? i
> would go for the yuni. its very strong and will get a good life span.
> and shorter cranks are nt better for control. the longer the more
> controled. shorter cranks are more jumpy in my opinion.

yea out of those uni's go with the yuni uni;)

A torker dx is nice and strong, but kinda heavy. I think the yuni will
suit u best

--
musketman
musketman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9214

wheeliemaster
April 2nd 06, 03:55 PM
O.K. what is a splined or non-splined hub? If I go for the Yuni, I
would like the 26 inch model. Is that wheel too big for wheel walking
and other one footed tricks? I can't do any of those tricks yet so I
would eventually be trying to learn them on this uni. Also, it comes
with a wider 26 X 2.125 tire. Are there any disadvantages to a wider
tire? My current uni has a 24 X 1.75 tire. Thanks for your