PDA

View Full Version : Hopping on to stuff

Eroick
April 1st 06, 11:06 PM
Im on a 24" and Im starting to do trials. I can hop fairly high, but I
have a big problem hopping on to stuff. I have gotten a bit better and
now I sorta lean into the thing im trying to get on and then jump! But,
I can never get close to the hight of my static hop. I think it is
partly nerves, which can only be fixed with pratace. But, does anyone
have any tips for side hopping on to things?

--
Eroick
Eroick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

pete66
April 1st 06, 11:08 PM
Hopping onto stuff is a lot like public speaking, so have some beer and
wear a helmet :)

--
pete66
pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

dan de man
April 2nd 06, 12:46 AM
yeah it's nerves just practice

--
dan de man

the second maori unicyclist on this forum (the first being
unicyclistjoe)hehehe i can imagine myself doing a unihaka before a
unihokey game
dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403

ntappin
April 2nd 06, 03:15 AM
I havn't seen you ride yet, although I will tommorrow, but I find that
most people have a hard time hopping because most of the time they
aren't hopping they are bouncing around. When you hop onto something
you want to get your balance then jump as opposed to bouncing onto
something.

Practice jumping sideways or forwards whichever is good for you but for
this don't do any form of bouncing before you hop. Maybe bounce a
little but then stop, pause, and jump. This will teach you to jump and
not bounce and it is imperitive for any form of jumping onto things.

--
ntappin

trials_uni
April 2nd 06, 03:36 AM
ntappin wrote:
> Practice jumping sideways *or* forwards

i agree and disagree with this or thing...you should learn at least one
for sure but you will be alot mor well rounded and better off in more
situations to learn both forwards and side hopping...each one has its
own advantages and disadvantages.

as for learning to hop onto obstacles i think its mostly nerves so
start on something very small(like 2-3") and work your way up...you'd
be suprised how fast your confidence builds.(i started at 3" one day
and about an hour later i was doing 8-10"hops:))

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/fculm)

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

Eroick
April 2nd 06, 04:00 AM
yeah, I was riding today and I realized that I bounce around too much. I
need to get to the point and JUMP!

--
Eroick
Eroick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

trials_uni
April 2nd 06, 04:03 AM
i usually do a still stand about 6-12" away from what im about to jump
onot and compress the tire and launch...very few correctional hops if
any most of the time.

--

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

Eroick
April 2nd 06, 04:12 AM
Well, I made it up on to a bench that is almost a foot up today. It was
fun. I also can side hop down a 2 set in one hop and up in two! Yay :p
!

Tomorow will be fun. It will be me jumping on the easist stuff and
being amazed by you guys. :o

--
Eroick
Eroick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

wumpus
April 2nd 06, 04:30 AM
I am struggling with the same thing... and it is mostly mental....

i do struggle with landing imperfectly on thin items(rail road rails)
and having my tire/cranks etc roll out from underneath me... any hints
for how to deal with imperfections on landings?:confused:

--
wumpus
wumpus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11764

Eroick
April 2nd 06, 04:36 AM
I think about landing with my pedals horizontal (3 and 9 on a clock). A
small hop on landing can help you regain balance.

--
Eroick
Eroick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

markf
April 2nd 06, 04:37 AM
practice and try to land softly.

--
markf

stuck in iowa and gainfully employed.
markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

trials_uni
April 2nd 06, 01:46 PM
wumpus: tips for not having it roll out...this takes practice and good
leg strength you need to have *total* control over your wheel. the way
i do it is to shift the weight a diferent way...like when i hit the
curb i crouch when i would normally roll out. the crouch transfers my
weight the same way a roll out would and my tire doesnt move!

--

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

monkeyman
April 2nd 06, 06:51 PM
trials_uni wrote:
> i usually do a still stand about 6-12" away from what im about to jump
> onot and compress the tire and launch...very few correctional hops if
> any most of the time.

Is doing just one prehop "bad" for jumping onto stuff?
Cuz I can do like 14 or 15 inches maybe like that....to be honest, I've
never tried without the prehop
I also can't jump very good SIF....I have more control and length seat
in...
I'm assuming the answer to this is practice, practice, practice
:rolleyes:

--
monkeyman

Radical Reed wrote:
> Truedat rap is, Rednecks Atempting Poetry

'just' (http://oldeenglish.org/gymclass.html) about the coolest thing
I've ever seen
I am an MRian prophet, follower of 768
monkeyman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11455

wumpus
April 2nd 06, 11:17 PM
thanks for the tip on crouching, headed out now to try it out....

--
wumpus
wumpus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11764

clews-21
April 3rd 06, 06:32 AM
yea definitley start small. I've been unicycling for about 4 months now
and when i started hopping i started hopping up the curb, then i
progressed to hopping up stairs. Once I got comftorable with stairs i
started hopping up two stairs. I kept progressing and today when I was
out I hopped up onto a 22" box.

--
clews-21
clews-21's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11947

trials_uni
April 3rd 06, 12:14 PM
monkeyman: a "prehop" is not bad...bouncing before you hop is

--

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

gerblefranklin
April 8th 06, 05:53 AM
6-12" away is way to close for anything over axle height. When I rolling
hop junk, I am at least 2' away, if not 3. On sidehops over ~30", I
start about 20" away.

Don't crouch when you rolling hop, that's unneccessary and bad form.
Just keep rolling of you can, or do a corrective hop and then get
rolling.

If your wheeel is rotating or cranks spinning upon landing, it means
you have not practiced enough and do not have control over the pressure
on your pedals. It has nothing to do with leg strength. I have this
problem when I hop goofy footed. Things to work on are pedal position
(rolling hops, especially gaps, should not be landed with pedals
horizontal, and sidehops should be landed with pedals horizontal,
although on big ones [i mean big, like 30" and up] pedals should be
horizontal) and tuck. Just practice, the problem will go away.

Prehops are not bad, but they make hops less accurate. You should not
need a prehop for anything under 20". If you are using it, you are
wasting your energy and hurting your form. Hopping a whole bunch isn't
bad, it's just something to try and avoid. I hop 5-10 times before
doing a big hop, and it doesn't stop me. I don't use prehops for
anything under ~33", and do my best to avoid them even then.

Check my gallery if you want to see some videos of a few basic trials
moves. I have a video of a rolling hop up a 4 set and sidehop up a 32"
ledge. The angles make the moves pretty easy to dissect frame by frame.

--
gerblefranklin

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home