PDA

View Full Version : Back on one wheel, at last

Mikefule
April 2nd 06, 10:54 AM
Well, it had to happen. After a successful career as a unicycle rider
and ride report writer, I was reduced to producing a greatest hits
album, then things tailed off. Other projects got in the way (for
example, going to work, eating food, being ill) and it started to look
suspiciously like I had gone into retirement. A career of embarrassing
semi-coherent appearances on chat shows beckoned, followed by a final
desperate bid to pay the bills by humiliating myself on reality TV.

But no! Today, those old favourites, Mikefule and Road Razor reunited
for the first of what is hoped to be a long comeback tour.

This weekend's plan, come what may, was to get a ride on the bloomin'
unicycle.

So, which one? Easy choice: my immune system is still engaged in house
to house fighting, flushing out the last stragglers of the flu germs
that annexed my body a fortnight ago, so the MUni is out. It's blowing
a gale (literally) and the Coker is too much like hard work into a head
wind. So that leaves the 700c.

For those who don't remember: that's a 700c with a 28 mm, almost slick,
high pressure tyre, and 110 mm cranks. The Road Razor.

So where's my Camelbak? Ah, here, with all this fungus in it. Major
job to strip that down and clean the bladder. Then I reinstall the
bladder, try to fill it with water, and there's a major flooding
incident. I've put the bladder in all twisted!

Now, clothes? My cycling top is easy. My leggings? Ah, here they
are, still dirty from my last ride on 3rd January. I really must get
a wife to sort that sort of thing out. Shoes? One's under the bed,
the other's in the cupboard. Tools? In the car, under the driver's
seat. Helmet? Fallen apart.

What? Yes, the cradle was held in place with Velcro discs, and the
glue has dried out and the discs have fallen off. So, unwilling to
ride for the first time in 3 months without the protection of a helmet,
it looks like I'll have to wear the full facer.

And that leaves only my wrist guards.

Aha! In the boot of the car. (US = -trunk-. So what do you call an
elephant's nose, then?)

So, pile everything into the car and off I go to the Water Sports
Centre. Predictably, it starts to rain on the way, but I am not
deterred. I am staunch, stubborn, stupid.

And I arrive in the car park, get all the kit out and find that the
Camelbak has leaked water everywhere. The unicycle is bobbing about in
the car boot like a ship at anchor. I never knew a 1.5 litre bladder
could hold so much. (Apart from one occasion on a stag night many
years ago.)

And the seat is twisted, so I have to find an Allen key...

But finally, I'm ready to mount up.

And nervous. Will I still enjoy it? Unicycling is hard work. It is a
habit. Break the habit (as circumstances have forced me to do) and it
may be difficult to get back into the swing of it.

Will I still be able to do it?

I freemount first time, and set off confidently, until 20 metres later
I realise I am on the downside of a small kerb. Kerbs aren't my strong
point (I'm not sure what is) and the skinny hard tyre is not up to the
job, but I find a bit of a ramp and overcome this first obstacle.

Then it's the short slope with loose ballast - no problem on a MUni or
Coker, but a challenge on the skinny hard tyre. Already, my confidence
is flooding back, with muscle memories stirring. A slight shift of
weight, a focusing of attention, and I'm over the tricky bit and onto
the tarmac strip.

I'm riding in almost complete silence as the wind follows me, and the
slick tyre makes virtually no noise on the smooth tarmac. There's just
the gentle slapping of the remaining water in my Camelbak, and the
sound of the waves on the lake. The lake is about 2.5 km long, and
with the wind blowing straight along it, the waves have built up, and
some have white horses on them.

Round the head of the lake, and I find myself in a side wind. Then I
turn to ride back up the other side and suddenly it all becomes hard
work. The wind is so strong that I am leaning forwards into it and at
times it takes an effort of will to keep the pedals moving past top
dead centre. The sun is fairly low, and the rippled surface of the
lake is dazzling.

Then I turn left, away from the lake (I suppose that last bit was
obvious!) and up a short tarmac slope. Down the other side of the
hill, there is a gate, with a narrow gap I can ride through. There is
a bit of a dog walkers' convention there with a rottweiller, a
greyhound and a scruffy mongrel. I pick my moment and ride between
them.

From here I have two choices, and my confidence is high enough to take
the difficult one: a section of unmade and rutted road. Ridges of
rolled ballast and mud separate deep muddy puddles. On the Coker, I
would take a straight line, make lots of splashes, and impress the
passers by. On the 700c, it's a different technique, picking the route
between the puddles, avoiding steep side slopes, watching out for large
lumps of ballast. The road becomes a puzzle, because it's easy to miss
each individual obstacle, but unless you read far enough ahead, you can
end up trapped in a blind alley. And with a hard tyre and no grip, a
slip or trip will immediately become a soggy-footed UPD.

A few hundred metres further on, I come to a locked gate, adorned with
the territorial markings of an angling club. Is any creature more
territorial than the coarse fisherman? I have to turn back. That
presents me with the first tight 180 degree turn of the ride, on a
slight slope, with a muddy surface. No problem, and already it feels
like I've never been away.

Back along the rutted road, then onto rough tarmac, past a fishing
lake, where a surprised fisherman nods a greeting. At the end of the
tarmac, I have a choice, and take a shortcut across more mud and
ballast and turn left along the private road.

I first rode the private road on a bicycle when I was eight - that's
er, thirty five years ago. At that time, it had a rough surface with
deep puddles. Today, it has a very rough surface with deep puddles.
For about five hundred metres or so, I pick my way along the narrow
ridges between the deep muddy patches of water. Just as I near the end
of the section, I meet a lone bicyclist coming the other way. He
barely nods an acknowledgement.

Then I'm onto tarmac again, but still private road, and there are
tarmac speed humps every few metres. I meet a car coming the other
way. The middle aged woman driver sneers at me with obvious reflexive
disapproval. She looks the sort of woman whose husband wonders if this
is all there is to life.

Then I'm on the country lane that leads to Radcliffe on Trent. I can
see the distinctive roof of the church tower in the distance. I make
fairly good speed until I reach the village limits.

Bad timing: a small car with a loud exhaust, cheap alloys and five
baseball-capped young men in it comes the other ways, then swings
flamboyantly into the entrance of a side road. The driver winds down
his window, releasing the doof doof music for all to enjoy. He looks
at me and shouts, "What the f*ck?" I see his passenger lean over and I
hear the inevitable, "Do you know you've lost a wheel?" I clutch my
sides and mime laughter.

The car reverses from the side road and I hear it doof doof-ing slowly
behind me. Here we go. Not for the first time in my life, I wish I
had a claw hammer in my tool kit. Or maybe an axe. I brace myself for
the abuse, and am alert for any attempt to knock me off. The car pulls
up alongside me, and one of the passengers shouts, "That's ace!"
Surprised and relieved, I thank him, and the car pulls away.

A hundred metres later, I reach the main road, and decide to turn back
and retrace my route. When I have crossed the unmade section of
private road, I decide to take the wide smooth road past the gravel
pits, rather than turning back into the Water Sports Centre. This
gives me the chance to regain my confidence on a public road where I
will meet a few cars in fairly safe circumstances.

Along this section, the hawthorn is already in blossom. The white
flowers are a welcome relief after one of the grimmest greyest winters
we've had for a few years. The sky is now blue, with a few white
clouds, the blossom is out, and this is a good place to be. OK, so the
seat could have a bit more padding, but you can't have everything.

Then I see trail motorcycles bursting out of the hedge to my left. The
first turns towards me and passes me in a cloud of blue smoke. The
rider is about thirteen, but I can see he is no reckless young fool.
He has taken all the safety precautions: his fleecy hood is pulled up
to stop his ears getting cold, and he has no heavy protective gloves to
hamper his control of the throttle.

Soon, I reach the main entrance of the Water Sports Centre. I have a
choice: the short and easy route back to the car, or carry on to the
river bank. My seat-interface is starting to be uncomfortable, and my
feet are tingling a bit, but I decide to carry on. I swoop up and over
the flood bank, and jiggle through the narrow footpath next to the
sailing club. As I turn left onto the riverside path, my luck fails
and I UPD.

In a way, it's a relief, because my obsessive personality makes it
difficult for me to stop for the first time on a long ride. I've been
known to do 20 or more miles without a break. A UPD takes that
pressure away. I now have an existential moment: do I choose to
continue just for the sake of it, or take the short cut back to the
car? I realise I am more tired than I had thought, and I don't want
to overdo my first ride after a long break, so I take the easy option.

Five minutes later, back at the car, I find my computer hasn't been
recording properly. It shows a max speed of 10 mph (16 kph) which is
about right, but only 1.87 miles. I estimate I've done nearer to 6
miles.

--
Mikefule

Most will fail
And all will die
So none shall live
To tell the tale

cathwood
April 2nd 06, 01:24 PM
Fantastic Mike. I'm so glad you've got back on the uni. My life feels
complete again (although I too have been looking for a wife to look
after all my bits and bobs and dirty clothes I have found it an
impossible quest with my current set-up).

I had a nasty moment when you were pondering whether you would still
not enjoy it, but all was wall.

Thanks for the great write up.

Cathy

--
cathwood

Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

trials_uni
April 2nd 06, 01:41 PM
glad to hear your drought of despair is over...now lets not hope its
another 3 months before your next ride.

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/fculm)

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

monkeyman
April 2nd 06, 07:00 PM
I think this is one of the most entertaining things I've read on this
forum...
And yes, there's always that sinking feeling when you notice that
people around my age are about to comment...although, being an
American, I must ask what ace means :confused:

> Aha! In the boot of the car. (US = trunk. So what do you call an
> elephant's nose, then?)

What do you call big rubber shoes?

--
monkeyman

Radical Reed wrote:
> Truedat rap is, Rednecks Atempting Poetry

'just' (http://oldeenglish.org/gymclass.html) about the coolest thing
I've ever seen
I am an MRian prophet, follower of 768
monkeyman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11455

phil
April 2nd 06, 07:18 PM
monkeyman wrote:
> What do you call big rubber shoes?

Wellies! :)

Phil

--
phil

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

treepotato
April 2nd 06, 07:22 PM
"Aha! In the boot of the car. (US = trunk. So what do you call an
elephant's nose, then?)"

Nellie the elephant packed her boot and sad goodbye to the circus...

he he :p

--
treepotato

Some unicycles can give nasty pedal bites.....i still have the scars to
prove it
treepotato's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3942

dale_dale
April 2nd 06, 07:57 PM
thats one good write up of a ride

well done

--
dale_dale

___________
dale_dale's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11459

Mikefule
April 2nd 06, 08:51 PM

--
Mikefule

Most will fail
And all will die
So none shall live
To tell the tale

goldenchicken
April 2nd 06, 10:51 PM
Mikefule wrote:
> My leggings? Ah, here they are, still dirty from my last ride on 3rd
> January.

Phew! I can almost feel the stench ...

--
goldenchicken