PDA

View Full Version : Another broken neck

James Annan
April 3rd 06, 12:42 PM
But he was only using a custom fork with no lawyer lips, so that's ok then:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=172820

(and the rider seems to have recovered ok)

James
--
James Annan
see web pages for email

dkahn400
April 3rd 06, 07:22 PM
Doug Taylor wrote:

> That said: Even assuming the Annan claimed inherent disc brake/skewer
> design flaw, using a fork with disc brakes, open dropouts, wheels
> attached with skewers, and no lawyer lips, gives rise, as we say in
> the legal profession, to the defense of "contributory negligence."

Members of the jury. The plaintiff was clearly negligent. He was using
my client's products.

--
Dave...

Werehatrack
April 3rd 06, 07:57 PM
On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 20:42:51 +0900, James Annan
> wrote:

>But he was only using a custom fork with no lawyer lips, so that's ok then:
>
>http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=172820
>
>(and the rider seems to have recovered ok)

The rider reports that the bike had rear-facing fork dropouts. If
that's a description of a fork end whose slots open to the rear of the
fork leg, I have to wonder why it took 5 hours for the wheel to come
out. That sounds like something that would have been designed by
Bloody Stupid Johnson.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Tony Raven
April 3rd 06, 09:06 PM
Werehatrack wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 20:42:51 +0900, James Annan
> > wrote:
>
>> But he was only using a custom fork with no lawyer lips, so that's ok then:
>>
>> http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=172820
>>
>> (and the rider seems to have recovered ok)
>
> The rider reports that the bike had rear-facing fork dropouts. If
> that's a description of a fork end whose slots open to the rear of the
> fork leg, I have to wonder why it took 5 hours for the wheel to come
> out. That sounds like something that would have been designed by
> Bloody Stupid Johnson.

They're rear facing because if you have disc brakes there is a force
that ejects the axle out of a vertical drop out. So you make the drop
out at right angles to the ejection force and ....errr..... ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tim McNamara
April 3rd 06, 10:45 PM
In article >,
Werehatrack > wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 20:42:51 +0900, James Annan
> > wrote:
>
> >But he was only using a custom fork with no lawyer lips, so that's
> >ok then:
> >
> >http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=172820
> >
> >(and the rider seems to have recovered ok)
>
> The rider reports that the bike had rear-facing fork dropouts. If
> that's a description of a fork end whose slots open to the rear of
> the fork leg, I have to wonder why it took 5 hours for the wheel to
> come out. That sounds like something that would have been designed
> by Bloody Stupid Johnson.

Rear facing dropouts. WTF? No competent frame builder would design a
fork with rear facing dropouts. I want to see a photo of this fork!

James Annan
April 3rd 06, 11:41 PM
Tim McNamara wrote:

> In article >,
> Werehatrack > wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 20:42:51 +0900, James Annan
> wrote:
>>

>>>But he was only using a custom fork with no lawyer lips, so that's
>>>ok then:
>>>
>>>http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=172820
>>>
>>>(and the rider seems to have recovered ok)
>>
>>The rider reports that the bike had rear-facing fork dropouts. If
>>that's a description of a fork end whose slots open to the rear of
>>the fork leg, I have to wonder why it took 5 hours for the wheel to
>>come out. That sounds like something that would have been designed
>>by Bloody Stupid Johnson.
>

> Rear facing dropouts. WTF? No competent frame builder would design a
> fork with rear facing dropouts. I want to see a photo of this fork!

It sounds like it was similar to my fork. Not exactly "rear facing"
dropouts, but straight blades combined with stock dropouts designed for
a normal curve results in the angle of the dropout lining up rather well
with the force of a disk brake (depending a bit on model).

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/fork/side.jpg

I do hope it isn't the same builder, though...

James
--
James Annan
see web pages for email