PDA

View Full Version : One Footing

Uni-D3
April 3rd 06, 09:27 AM
Hey, just was wondering lately if it made a difference if you hold the
seat and pedal one footed or without hands. I have been practicing with
my Dad and I put my hand on the handle of the seat to ride and he does
it without. Just wondering which way is better or if there is a
difference.:D

--
Uni-D3
Uni-D3's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11255

pete66
April 3rd 06, 09:54 AM
I think whether you're holding the handle or not is the same difference
when you're 1-footing to when you're 2-footing, which is a trade off
between using that hand for balance or for distributing weight,
whatever feels right for you is better. I think I learned by holding
the seat but I'm not too sure.

--
pete66
pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

dr.melon
April 3rd 06, 11:19 AM
Funny you should say that, D3. I've just recently learned 1-footed, and
realised it's just as easy/easier no hands (no hands on a unicycle...?)
Anywho yeah..today I learned to idle one footed. Next is one footed
down stairs...*gulp*

--
dr.melon

Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else.

http://p3.forumforfree.com/vttalk.html
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Go here if you love Nintendo!...or spam (the canned type)
dr.melon's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11731

wendino
April 3rd 06, 01:02 PM
Hmmm,

Uni-D3 sounds like David :)

--
wendino

'municycle.com - unicycle.com Germany' (http://municycle.com)
wendino's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/689

mgrant
April 3rd 06, 03:01 PM
Uni-D3 wrote:
> Hey, just was wondering lately if it made a difference if you hold the
> seat and pedal one footed or without hands. I have been practicing with
> my Dad and I put my hand on the handle of the seat to ride and he does
> it without. Just wondering which way is better or if there is a
> difference.:D

Proper freestyle form dictates that your arms should be extended,
fingers togother, palms facing down.

However, unless you plan to compete at a NAUCC or UNICON, you should do
whatever feels comfortable.

-mg

--
mgrant

The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of
breath, and one day closer to death.
michael_j_grant (at) yahoo (dot) com
Gallery: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Michael_Grant/
mgrant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/440

JUNGAUNI
April 3rd 06, 03:09 PM
i was just practicing one footing and didn't have much luck should i try
to put my foot on the frame? i have a rounded crown

--
JUNGAUNI
JUNGAUNI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11801

maflitto
April 3rd 06, 05:46 PM
I believe it is much easier if you put your foot on the frame it helps
stabilize the balence I can do a no foot without foot on frame but with
it on the frame I can go very far also it is easier if you practice on
a slight slope so you can keep a constant speed when the one foot comes
off hope that helps

--
maflitto
maflitto's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11826

markf
April 3rd 06, 05:58 PM
i think that once you can do a few revolutions, hands out and foot on
frame make it easy. getting that initial feel for the balance though,
just do whatever's comfortable.

--
markf

stuck in iowa and gainfully employed.
markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

unisteve
April 3rd 06, 06:12 PM
If I don't rest my foot on the frame, I hold the seat to keep myself
attached to my unicycle.

When I rest my foot on the frame, I hold the seat if the terrain is a
little bumpy (gravel roads, little curbs, etc).

Most of the time I switch between the two based on how much I do or
don't want to look like I'm grabbing my crotch, just like normal
riding.

--
unisteve

-\"i live on the edge. sometimes i fall off.\"-

harper is my hero.
unisteve's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/543

phlegm
April 3rd 06, 06:20 PM
If you're 1-footing while riding off-road, then holding the handle is a
good idea. ;)

--
phlegm
phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

DustinMichels
April 4th 06, 06:54 PM
I'm just going to make myself really popular...

mgrant wrote:
> Proper freestyle form dictates that your arms should be extended,
> fingers togother, palms facing down.

'Proper freestyle' is for clowns, do whatever you want to, personally I
prefer holding my hand on my saddle, you lean forwards a bit easier,
it's not much different without any hands on your uni, but I think it's
more fun with hands anyway.

Dustbin

--
DustinMichels

Been there, done that, went back for more.

Hello ladies...
DustinMichels's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10289

johnfoss
April 4th 06, 07:43 PM
mgrant wrote:
> Proper freestyle form dictates that your arms should be extended,
> fingers togother, palms facing down.

Correction: Freestyle is free, and you can do whatever you want. This
is something we're still trying to remind many Freestyle competitors
today, which is that they should *think about* what to do with their
arms while doing other stuff with their legs. The event you were
thinking of is Standard Skill, where it's all about the tricks and no
creativity.

For beginning one-footers, I can see where holding the seat may make
you feel a little more solid. But once you get the technique, you'll
see it doesn't matter if you hold on or not, unless you're one-footing
on rough terrain or something, like stairs. :eek:

Putting your foot on the fork makes a very big difference in
one-footing however. It gives you a much more solid attachment to the
unicycle, with lots more control. If you have a unicrown fork and no
good foot purchase, you can use a simple automotive hose clamp. put it
on with the screw on top, and your foot can hook right on there.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

primus
April 5th 06, 02:16 AM
on the subject of the post above this one puting your foot on the crown
only helps if your off road because it holds it in place i put my foot
out in front and use it to balance when i onefoot on road

--
primus
primus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11833

caw89
April 5th 06, 05:38 AM
dr.melon wrote:
> Funny you should say that, D3. I've just recently learned 1-footed, and
> realised it's just as easy/easier no hands (no hands on a unicycle...?)
> Anywho yeah..today I learned to idle one footed. Next is one footed
> down stairs...*gulp*

lol well Im the one that was doing the stairs alogn with gliding them(2
of my fav tricks) Well if your on flat ground dont hold the seat it is
easier to move your weight around or to catch your balance...When your
off roading one footed or doing something stupid like stairs then hold
on for dear life, just as if oyu were riding with both feet..And for
round crowns Vs squared; Squared is ALOT better I learned on a flat
crown and I hung my foot out back, you get way better balance when you
can rest it on the frame(Squared).

Edit: Ohh and I noticed Beau Was doing the offroading one footed as
well, It was pretty funny to look up while riding one footed on a part
of the trail and see Beau in front of me oding hte exact same
thing...He also holds the seat while off roading one footed...

--
caw89

'Cody's Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Codys-Gallery)
'Pedal protector' (http://pedalprotector.com/)
AIM: unicaw89

-last edited by god on 3000-01-01 at 12:00 am-
caw89's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8228

Uni-D3
April 9th 06, 12:50 PM
Sorry that I haven't answered,I've been busy with school. Now I can 1
foot with both. I trie to always put my foot on the frame and i did 32
cranks yesterday!
:D :D :D

--
Uni-D3
Uni-D3's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11255

Uni-D3
April 10th 06, 07:31 PM
When I said both I meant with hand and without. And I was practicing at
the Lake and got 109 cranks! I was so Happy!:D

--
Uni-D3
Uni-D3's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11255

Google