PDA

View Full Version : who invented the unicycle

Mike The Uni Man
April 3rd 06, 06:59 PM
i did a bit of searching and still cant find it i just wanna no who
invented the very first unicycle like his name where he came from and
like wha the first unicycle looked like any help would be well
appreciated

--
Mike The Uni Man

Ein-Einrad-Traum
Mike The Uni Man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11729

dale_dale
April 3rd 06, 07:05 PM
i think that people on penny farthings invented it by leanoing forward
and taking the little wheel of the ground

--
dale_dale

___________
dale_dale's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11459

JJuggle
April 3rd 06, 07:06 PM
It is commonly believed that the unicycle was invented when riders of
penny farthings, the bicycles with a huge front wheel and a small rear
one of the late 19th century, hit bumps and the rear wheels came up off
the ground. Some riders are said to have figured that they can ride on
one wheel and so removed the rear one altogether.

[image:
http://www.exploratorium.edu/cycling/images/ordinary_drawing.gif]

--
JJuggle

Raphael Lasar - Matawan, NJ

My friends talk of glory, untold dream, where all is God and God is
just a word.
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

madmattunipro
April 3rd 06, 07:08 PM
Unicycles are thought to be decended from penny farthing bicycles in the
late 1800s. Riders apparently found they didn't need the back wheel all
the time, and eventually started riding without it at all, probably as
a stunt of sorts. Because it came as a sort of evolution, it might be
impossible to pin-pont the first unicycle to a particular person or
date.

--
madmattunipro

Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving in a
pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly
used up, totally worn out, and loudly declaring, "WOW what a ride!"
madmattunipro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10763

koebwil
April 3rd 06, 07:11 PM
I D I D .

Man do I ever rule

--
koebwil

"I used to eat erasers in grade school...." James_Potter
koebwil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11308

unifreak7
April 3rd 06, 07:18 PM
I've heard the same with the invention of the unicycle. Interesting.
Though we don't really know any one person that did, i'm glad they did.
ha. laters

-Shaun Johaneson

--
unifreak7

FLIP IT... Twice
unifreak7's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6137

Lucas1wheel
April 3rd 06, 09:00 PM
Theres another theory that 2 teenagers were riding there bikes and the
front wheel snapped off over a few days they learnt to ride there new
bike with only one wheel

this theory is much less believed than the penny farthing one, they are
both on the internet

--
Lucas1wheel
Lucas1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11476

Lucas1wheel
April 3rd 06, 09:01 PM
Who manufactured the first trials unicycle, the first I saw was the
original ONZA one

--
Lucas1wheel
Lucas1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11476

David_Stone
April 4th 06, 01:55 AM
The unicycle was invented by Yevgeny Cyclos, a man of Greek and Russian
parentage who came to America in the 1860s. Known as Yuni to his
friends, he teamed up with his future wife, Penelope Cyclos (nee
Farthing) in an act where the two-wheeler they were riding (invented by
Penny herself) broke apart, forming two single-wheeled contraptions
which the couple decided to name after Yuni. The "Yuni Cyclos" was not
the instant hit they expected it to be, even after their manager
rechristened it the "Uni-cycle" (the hyphen was later dropped as being
unAmerican). The couple died paupers and in relative obscurity.

Yevgeny Cyclos's half-brother, Hans Cyclos, achieved prominence as a
master plumber. In fact, his initials are seen on faucets nationwide to
this day.

I hope this helps.

--
David_Stone

Dictator for Life,
NYUC

Check out my blog (or else):
http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/
David_Stone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3834

podzol
April 4th 06, 02:18 AM
There is a theory of the origin of life called panspermia, that all
genetic material is transported to earth (and other planets) via
bacteria on comets, thus life can arrise multiple times and in great
diversity on one planet w/o evolution as the sole source of variation.

Likewise, I believe that unicycles are used for intergalactic travel
and have been distributed throughout the universe this way. The younger
generation of hopping unicyclists are beginning to demonstrate that the
unicycle has a capacity for aerial feats. Finally, when unicyclists and
astronauts are one in the same, we will experience the next great
achievements of bipedal life on earth: introduction of the Coker and
mUni to extraterrestrial life.

--
podzol

THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
Seeking riders and support.
*http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

JUNGAUNI
April 4th 06, 02:50 AM
hay look what i found http://tinyurl.com/eg3oj

--
JUNGAUNI
JUNGAUNI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11801

podzol
April 4th 06, 03:29 AM
That is incredible. I want to see a better picture. That's a REAL BC
wheel!

Now I wonder if the feet are offset or on axis like what we call a BC
wheel. Is there a seat?

This is conclusive evidence that unicycles came from outer space. Well,
maybe not, but at least I had enough sense not to vote for Bush.

--
podzol

THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
Seeking riders and support.
*http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

podzol
April 4th 06, 03:45 AM
Here's a link to better pictures. Apparently these portrat female
figures on wheels.

http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~cmw/1995/Couch.html

--
podzol

THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
Seeking riders and support.
*http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

johnfoss
April 4th 06, 04:52 AM
podzol wrote:
> Now I wonder if the feet are offset or on axis like what we call a BC
> wheel.

Looks like the axle goes through the ankles. This can be assumed to be
a peg below the axle, or an anatomical setup that involves messing up
the rider's feet. I remember seeing a picture of those figures before,
but the accompanying text was in German. Nice to be able to read about
it!

koebwil wrote:
> I did.

There have been many claimants over the years, though most were in the
1870-1905 range. I think most of the claimants were entertainers, so
they had a financial stake in being credited. But the first actual
riders were probably cycling enthusiasts and not necessarily
entertainers, other than in showing off their new skill.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

edsbelly
April 4th 06, 11:19 AM
koebwil wrote:
> I D I D .
>
> Man do I ever rule

Yes. Yes you do.

I've only heard the penny farthing theory.

--
edsbelly

:D Stayin' Single and Keepin it Wheel :D

- Add Me!! :)
edsbelly's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11164

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home