PDA

View Full Version : saris rack problem

Mack
April 4th 06, 03:34 AM
I love my Saris Sentinal, rear-mounted 3-bike rack, but the weightload it
puts on my car's rear bumper is causing cracks there. Anyone have a good
idea how to prevent the cracks from getting deeper?

April 4th 06, 03:49 AM
Get a roof rack?

Drew
April 4th 06, 04:03 AM
"Mack" > wrote in message
>I love my Saris Sentinal, rear-mounted 3-bike rack, but the weightload it
>puts on my car's rear bumper is causing cracks there. Anyone have a good
>idea how to prevent the cracks from getting deeper?

Uh, buy a new car?
Not cheap, but effective...

April 4th 06, 09:40 AM
One word Plastic,2nd word age,and finally nothing last ever from
stress.

Vee
April 5th 06, 04:22 PM
Mack wrote:
> I love my Saris Sentinal, rear-mounted 3-bike rack, but the weightload it
> puts on my car's rear bumper is causing cracks there. Anyone have a good
> idea how to prevent the cracks from getting deeper?

Why is it pushing on your bumper at all? Can't you reposition it so
the lower arms press against the back of your trunk instead?

-Vee

Mack
April 7th 06, 11:11 PM
I believe that this is the way the rack is designed. It needs to rest on top
of the bumper.

"Vee" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Mack wrote:
>> I love my Saris Sentinal, rear-mounted 3-bike rack, but the weightload it
>> puts on my car's rear bumper is causing cracks there. Anyone have a good
>> idea how to prevent the cracks from getting deeper?
>
> Why is it pushing on your bumper at all? Can't you reposition it so
> the lower arms press against the back of your trunk instead?
>
> -Vee

Vee
April 8th 06, 03:07 PM
Mack wrote:
> I believe that this is the way the rack is designed. It needs to rest on top
> of the bumper.
>
> "Vee" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Mack wrote:
> >> I love my Saris Sentinal, rear-mounted 3-bike rack, but the weightload it
> >> puts on my car's rear bumper is causing cracks there. Anyone have a good
> >> idea how to prevent the cracks from getting deeper?
> >
> > Why is it pushing on your bumper at all? Can't you reposition it so
> > the lower arms press against the back of your trunk instead?
> >
> > -Vee

On their website, Saris shows the Sentinel mounted entirely on the
trunk, as I described. http://www.saris.com/products/sentinel.htm

People often install trunk racks incorrectly, with the lower arms
pressing on the bumper. If you have a small or bizarrely shaped trunk
lid, you might not have much choice... since most modern cars have soft
plastic bumpers, a trunk rack isn't really appropriate in that case.

-Vee

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home