PDA

View Full Version : Re: Prolink Turns Black??

Ozark Bicycle
April 4th 06, 02:37 AM
Steve Sr. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently switched to Prolink and have noticed that whatever this
> stuff is it goes on clear but comes off black! Does anybody know what
> this black residue is? I find it hard to believe that it is road gunk.
>
> Could this black residue be part of the chain or maybe a reaction by
> product of Prolink and the metal in the chain? It appears that Prolink
> got started on coal mining equipment where everything is already
> black and wouldn't notice a little more.
>
> Does anyboy know what is really in this stuff? It smells like mineral
> spirits i.e. paint thinner. Is there more to it than that?

Most likely, it's low odor mineral spirits and a lubricant similar to
something like "Mobil 1".Not a bad idea, just viciously over-priced
(What a surprise! Who do you think pays for that advertising campaign?)

Be bold! Experiment! Try two parts mineral spirits to one part Mobil 1.
Try one part mineral spirits to one part chain saw oil. Or variations
thereof. By the quart, the stuff is cheap. Have fun. See what works for
you.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home