PDA

View Full Version : Re: Standing + Big Gears Always = Knee Problems?

Ken
April 4th 06, 02:54 AM
Steve Sr. > wrote in
:
> So, am I doing something wrong? Other folks I ride with, some younger,
> some older, don't seem to have a problem standing or pushing bigger
> gears.

They probably have stronger leg muscles. If your knees hurt, then your
muscles aren't strong enough for the kind of riding you are trying to do.
You need more base miles to build up your strength.

Bill Baka
April 4th 06, 04:12 AM
Ken wrote:
> Steve Sr. > wrote in
> :
>
>>So, am I doing something wrong? Other folks I ride with, some younger,
>>some older, don't seem to have a problem standing or pushing bigger
>>gears.
>

> They probably have stronger leg muscles. If your knees hurt, then your
> muscles aren't strong enough for the kind of riding you are trying to do.
> You need more base miles to build up your strength.

No smart ass intended here but I do the same at 57 and notice no
difference from standing and attacking or running up several flights of
stairs. I also sometimes just push top gear at a leisurely 16 MPH and
notice no problems except sore leg muscles if I do it for too many
miles. Do you have any arthritis in your family? It ran in my mother's
side yet neither my sister or I have any sign. How old are you, since
that could be a factor, and do you get any regular exercise at work?
Even running from cubicle to cubicle counts.
Bill Baka

damyth
April 4th 06, 12:00 PM
Ken wrote:
> Steve Sr. > wrote in
> :
> > So, am I doing something wrong? Other folks I ride with, some younger,
> > some older, don't seem to have a problem standing or pushing bigger
> > gears.
>
> They probably have stronger leg muscles. If your knees hurt, then your
> muscles aren't strong enough for the kind of riding you are trying to do.
> You need more base miles to build up your strength.

Yes, this was certainly the case with me as well. In fact I had very
painful tendonitis after getting back into biking after a few years
off, probably the very same symptoms as the OP.

Base miles at high cadence (low gearing) was key to painless cycling.
I think what happened in my case initially was over-exertion. Before
the break I hardly ever rode in the small chainring on the flats. My
mistake was thinking I should be able to do the same after the break.

Again, I can't stress how important it is to let your legs get stronger
GRADUALLY to avoid knee pain. Your mind says to you "I should be able
to comfortably go faster than this!" but you have to very be patient.
If you don't think you are getting a sufficient "workout" just bike
longer distances (instead of faster, as in more powerfully). During
base mile recovery phase I changed out my chainrings from 53/42 to
50/39 and almost never used the large chainring except for going
downhill.

There is nothing more discouraging than biking with knee pain.

Ken
April 5th 06, 01:25 AM
Steve Sr. > wrote in
:
> But this was one of my points. I am currently doing 100-125 base miles
> a week and have not really slacked off this winter so I am not really
> coming off a break.. So you are saying that this is not enough base
> miles?

How much riding are your friends doing? How hilly are your 100 miles/week?
Spinning over hilly terrain is much better for your fitness level than
spinning on flat ground.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home