PDA

View Full Version : Attn NYC metro area riders: Dustin Kelm appearance

uni57
April 4th 06, 06:51 AM
Dustin Kelm will be performing in New Jersey on Saturday, April 8, 2006.
This is a rare opportunity for riders in the New York City metro area
(and eastern PA) to see Dustin perform.

The event takes place at the Green Pond Bible Chapel in Rockaway, New
Jersey, which is about an hour west of Manhattan. "Spring Day
Celebration" is an annual church event geared for children 5th grade
and under. It takes place from 9:00 AM until 1:00 PM on Saturday,
April 8th. I am waiting for the church to call me back regarding
-when- Dustin will be performing (because if you are not bringing kids,
there won't be much else to do for four hours). I will post that
information when I have it.

The event is free but donations are encouraged. They also request that
you register, but it's not required and I think it's mainly to get a
"kid count". If you plan to attend, please let me know in this thread.
I will call the church with a headcount on Friday as a courtesy to
them.

Here is a 'MapQuest link to their address' (http://tinyurl.com/lk4uy).
Click "Directions To" on that page to get driving directions. Keep in
mind that there is some seriously confusing and congesting construction
work at the Rt. 46 / Rt. 23 / Rt. 80 interchange. If coming from the
city, avoid directions that take you to Rt. 23 unless you are familiar
with the route.

-From the GWB- - follow signs for Route 80 West. -From Lincoln Tunnel-
- 495 to 95 South to 280 West, which merges into 80 West -- or 495 to
95 North to 80 West

From Route 80, take Exit 37 - Hibernia/Rockaway. At end of exit ramp,
turn left (towards Hibernia) onto Green Pond Road. Go 9 miles --
church is on the left.

'Green Pond Bible Chapel' (http://www.greenpondbible.org)

'unishow one life, one message, one wheel'
(http://unishow.org/) (Dustin's site)

This event is in a few days. Sorry about the short notice. Again,
please post here if you plan to attend. Maybe I'll see some of you
there!

P.S. - I just noticed that Dustin is also performing in New Providence,
NJ on April 7th and April 8th (according to his site). I don't have
any further info about those events, but I just wanted to note that he
has a dual appearance on the 8th. You can probably meet Dustin at the
Spring Day event, but don't expect to go for a ride with him later --
he looks pretty busy that day.

--
uni57

-\"what's a troll?\"- - billythemountain
uni57's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2085

uni57
April 4th 06, 07:02 AM
Here is a newspaper article that appeared in my hometown newspaper:

EXTREME UNICYCLIST TO STRUT HIS STUFF

ROCKAWAY TOWNSHIP -- Green Pond Bible Chapel will be hosting its annual
Spring Day Celebration event on Saturday, April 8 from 9 a.m. until 1
p.m. at the church facility in Rockaway Township. The program is
geared toward children in fifth grade and under with over 60 different
indoor activities. Games, creative crafts, munchies, face painting,
balloon animals, "sandy candy", prizes and more will be part of this
year's Spring Day.

Professional "extreme" unicyclist, Dustin Kelm will provide
entertainment. Kelm is the Freestyle World Champion, three-time
National Champion, Mountain Unicycling National Champion and the
sport's world record holder. Having performed in nine countries,
Dustin holds lots of titles and medals. *-He will challenge kids to
have the character to make positive choices that will change their
lives forever... all while performing world-class unicycling set to
high-energy music.-* [emphasis added]

Parents must accompany and supervise their child / children during the
event. Spring Day is free of charge but donations are welcomed. Greed
Pond Bible Chapel is located a few miles south of Route 23 on Green
Pond Road in Rockaway Township. Registration is not required but is
encouraged for planning purposes. This indoor celebration will be held
rain or shine. Don't forget to bring your camera.

For more information, www.greenpondbible.org

--
uni57

-\"what's a troll?\"- - billythemountain
uni57's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2085

bliptune
April 4th 06, 03:32 PM
I intend to drive there there from the Franklin Lakes / Wyckoff area of
Bergen County. Does anyone near by need a ride or is anyone passing
through my area such that I can just be picked up?

Determining that half hour window of time will be key, so I'll watch
this thread.

--
bliptune
bliptune's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1569

uni57
April 4th 06, 05:00 PM
I just got off the phone with Dani Tanis, the organizer of this event.

Dustin will be performing at 10:30, 11:30, and 12:30. Each performance
is 30 minutes long. They can seat 350 people per performance, but
because it is such a large event, they need multiple performances.

Also, come in through the main (front) doors so that you can sign in.
They need to know how many people are in the building. Dani said you
can ask for her if you want to meet Dustin. We should probably do that
as a group, so we don't bother her too much.

This is the ONLY opportunity this year for people in this area to see
Dustin's dynamic and inspirational performance. It is definitely worth
spending a few hours in the car. This is easily accessible for people
in northern and central New Jersey, New York City, eastern
Pennsylvania, and western Connecticut.

Again, here is how his performance is described...

-"He will challenge kids to have the character to make positive choices
that will change their lives forever... all while performing
world-class unicycling set to high-energy music."-

Let's coordinate our plans on this thread. See you there!

--
uni57

-\"what's a troll?\"- - billythemountain
uni57's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2085

brianmaw
April 4th 06, 09:54 PM
This looks interesting. I may be able to make it on the 8th and bring
my son also. He has a photo of Dustin in his room so he may want to
see him in person. I know I do. Maybe we can get a Muni ride together
afterwards. I know the area so I can plan the ride if anyone wants to
ride that day let me know.

--
brianmaw
brianmaw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8864

uni57
April 6th 06, 05:03 AM
Brian, I won't be able to do a MUni ride.

So far, I don't think there's much interest at all, which puzzles me
(this thread was on page three). Dustin is not only a great unicyclist
and a great performer, but he inspires young people. What could be
better? I can't wait to see his performance. I think more people
should take advantage of this opportunity. He doesn't come to this
area often.

I hope you and your son can make it. Let's coordinate times.

--
uni57

-\"what's a troll?\"- - billythemountain
uni57's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2085

uni57
April 7th 06, 05:01 PM
Well, sorry to bother the entire world about a local event again,
but...

Dustin Kelm's rare east coast appearance is tomorrow (Saturday), so I'm
bumping this thread off page two. We have a small group attending, but
I hope more people take advantage of this opportunity.

--
uni57

-\"what's a troll?\"- - billythemountain
uni57's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2085

brianmaw
April 8th 06, 01:32 AM
I plan to make it for the 10:30 performance. I hope to see you Dave and
any others who can make it.
See you tomorrow.

--
brianmaw