PDA

View Full Version : Re: Standing + Big Gears Always = Knee Problems?

fred
April 4th 06, 11:47 AM
I'm 52 and started experiencing knee pain this year when cycling and
using the bigger gears. It seemed to go away when I raised my saddle 2
cm.
Fred

Bill Baka
April 4th 06, 11:40 PM
fred wrote:
> I'm 52 and started experiencing knee pain this year when cycling and
> using the bigger gears. It seemed to go away when I raised my saddle 2
> cm.
> Fred

Saddle height is a bigger factor than most people realize. If you get it
right your legs should be just about fully extended at the bottom of the
stroke and you should be able to use your calf muscles for a little
extra push. Some of the kids think it is cool to have the saddle all the
way down and have their knees come up so high they block their vision,
but this is the 13 to 15 year old crowd. If they only knew.
Standing and pushing a big gear should be about like running up a flight
of stairs unless the gear is so big you are pulling up on the
handlebars, then it is time to back off.
Remember that if you are 52 you don't need to train so hard as to hurt
yourself, and it is all about staying fit at that point.
I hope you work it out.
We aren't ALL racers.
Bill Baka

Google