PDA

View Full Version : 19" tyres

max_pfeifer
April 4th 06, 10:06 AM
I was just wondering what people thought of the monty and try-all tyres?
i have never really tried either and was wondering what they were like
for both street and trials. I have ridden creepy-crawlers and dont
really like them, and am currently riding a luna (i am also in the
process of cutting the nobbies of an old luna to make a slick tyre, but
its gonna take aaaages!)

Thanks for your help,

Max

--
max_pfeifer

NO I WILL NOT DO A F@#!ING BACKFLIP
max_pfeifer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7644

edsbelly
April 4th 06, 11:23 AM
Max,
I wouldn't worry about having to remove too many knobs from the tyre
i'm giving you! :p

--
edsbelly

:D Stayin' Single and Keepin it Wheel :D

- Add Me!! :)
edsbelly's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11164

trials_uni
April 4th 06, 11:42 AM
when i first saw what time it was when this thread was posted i was like
:eek:...whos up at 3:30AM asking about tires??? then i remembered that
you guys are in Austrailia:P

anyways in answering your question the monty sucks and ive heard that
the try-all is very grippy

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/fculm)

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

Sponge
April 4th 06, 05:19 PM
Riding both uni and biketrials... I can say that the Monty tyre (depends
which model!) is good, well in detail:

The older white-walled Montys are great with awesome bounce and
unparalleled puncture-resistance, the yellow walls are similar just
with a softer compound I think.

The new 2.7 wide Monty is very grippy with side treads to help
sideways-climbing and grip, its got great puncture resistance as all
Montys do. The only problem I saw with this tyre is that if you're not
a big bloke, then it's not too great for pre-hopping for sidehops and
gaps as it sucks quite a bit of your effort in. Apart from that, I
expect its the best tyre for doing dropping stuff on.

Onto the Try-All tyre which I use: Very very grippy, good puncture
resistance. Depending on who you are, you might like the bounce it
gives, you might not. It's a good tyre, but a bit pricey. Another bonus
is, if you like off-road like trials in the woods, it's great because
the mud doesnt get clogged like crazy like Creepy Crawlers and other
tyres do!

It's a hard choice, but Creepy Crawler is pretty poo tbh, even in the
biketrials world, it's not that great, it punctures EASIEST, but it
does have the best grip of all (yes, even grippier than Try-all).

Depending on what you do:

get the Monty white/yellow wall tyre: For street/urban trials.

get the Monty 2.7 tyre: If you're big/heavy

get the Try-All tyre: If you like woodland riding, riding rocks, a bit
of urban.

Hope this helped...

--
Sponge

Zoo! Python 2005 Yao Zhi model

Koxx Devil

MSN: feel free to add, I'm always up for a
good chat and get to know other uni riders :)
Sponge's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11883

TrialsUni
April 4th 06, 10:36 PM
Sponge wrote:
> It's a hard choice, but Creepy Crawler is pretty poo tbh, even in the
> biketrials world, it's not that great, it punctures EASIEST, but it
> does have the best grip of all (yes, even grippier than Try-all).

I've never punctured a tube with the creepy crawler. There have been
many situations, especially when it is cold, that I thought that I
would have a pinch flat from bottoming out, but I didn't.

I wish I had a good video to demonstrate how aggressively (but with
good technique, mind you) that I ride trials with a creepy crawler.

The tire is light, springy and grippy when you find the right pressure
that works for you. I'm 140lbs, and I ride it at about 33psi as of
right now (which it's been in the 50s degrees F lately).

All I know is that the creepy crawler rocks for trials of any nature.
But, I wouldn't know about street, being that I don't ride more than
trials with a pseudo-street flair to it.

later,
Evan

--
TrialsUni
TrialsUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7986

apadoxhr
April 4th 06, 11:17 PM
i drive eveerything with creepy c

it is quite good except it get's worn off fast but to slow it down just
rotate your tire for 45 ° every 3 or 4 weeks

it has grat spring and the best for long last rim :)

--
apadoxhr

10: apadox is legend;
20: GOTO10;
apadoxhr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11084

primus
April 5th 06, 02:09 AM
where can i get a 19 in rim?

--
primus
primus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11833

max_pfeifer
April 5th 06, 09:45 AM
thanks for your help guys,

does anyone know about the sidewall strength of the try-all and the
monty? i know the creepy c has rather weak sidewalls and is prone to
folding.

how would you rate either of these tyres to the luna for street and a
bit of trials?

Cheers,

Max

--
max_pfeifer

NO I WILL NOT DO A F@#!ING BACKFLIP
max_pfeifer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7644

dan de man
April 5th 06, 09:49 AM
i ride 23-26psi and im 45 kg(about 90-100 pounds)

--
dan de man

the second maori unicyclist on this forum (the first being
unicyclistjoe)hehehe i can imagine myself doing a unihaka before a
unihokey game
dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home