PDA

View Full Version : bike riding & impotence?

bicycle_disciple
April 4th 06, 03:59 PM
hi guys,
i came across an article by the so called irwin goldstein, who is a
famous urologist and this stuff is all over the internet. the subject
of debate is about bike seats, the pressure it applies on the penile
areas due to prolonged activity, and impotence supposedly caused by
this. one such article is here :
http://www.journalhome.com/mynetpharma/18751/

though i have no reason whatsoever to throw away my bike away everytime
one of these articles gets printed...i was wondering what people on the
forum think. i've had occasional numbness from riding too long, but
does that mean i should fear impotence?
is there a sound scientific basis behind bike seats and ED?

POHB
April 4th 06, 04:28 PM
Oh No Not Again

Diablo Scott
April 4th 06, 05:13 PM
bicycle_disciple wrote:

> does that mean i should fear impotence?
> is there a sound scientific basis behind bike seats and ED?

Not if you wear a helmet, ride sew-ups, and grease your BB spindle.

Hank Wirtz
April 4th 06, 05:30 PM
"Diablo Scott" > wrote in message
> bicycle_disciple wrote:
>

>> does that mean i should fear impotence?
>> is there a sound scientific basis behind bike seats and ED?
>>
> Not if you wear a helmet, ride sew-ups, and grease your BB spindle.

And stress-relieve your spokes!

(Wow, there's a euphemism if I've heard one)

Sorni
April 4th 06, 06:22 PM
Diablo Scott wrote:
> bicycle_disciple wrote:
>

>> does that mean i should fear impotence?
>> is there a sound scientific basis behind bike seats and ED?
>>
> Not if you wear a helmet, ride sew-ups, and grease your BB spindle.

Family newsgroup, buddy.

Bill "OK, it's expected" S.

Dane Buson
April 4th 06, 07:04 PM
Diablo Scott > wrote:
> bicycle_disciple wrote:
>

>> does that mean i should fear impotence?
>> is there a sound scientific basis behind bike seats and ED?
>>
> Not if you wear a helmet, ride sew-ups, and grease your BB spindle.

It helps if you use bar-end shifters and a 24 spoke rear wheel with those.

--
Dane Buson -
There may be said to be two classes of people in the world; those who constantly

Tim McNamara
April 4th 06, 07:22 PM
In article om>,
"bicycle_disciple" > wrote:

> hi guys, i came across an article by the so called irwin goldstein,
> who is a famous urologist and this stuff is all over the internet.
> the subject of debate is about bike seats, the pressure it applies on
> the penile areas due to prolonged activity, and impotence supposedly
> caused by this. one such article is here :
> http://www.journalhome.com/mynetpharma/18751/
>
> though i have no reason whatsoever to throw away my bike away
> everytime one of these articles gets printed...i was wondering what
> people on the forum think. i've had occasional numbness from riding
> too long, but does that mean i should fear impotence? is there a
> sound scientific basis behind bike seats and ED?

Goldstein is considered an alarmist out trying to get himself some
publicity by a lot of people. What little research there is has not
supported the claim that cycling is closely tied to impotence, in fact
IIRC one study indicated that frequent cyclists are less likely to have
erectile dysfunction than the general male population.

Anecdotally, in about 40 years of riding a bike lots I have yet to have
this problem.

Hank Wirtz
April 4th 06, 07:44 PM
"Tim McNamara" > wrote in message

> Anecdotally, in about 40 years of riding a bike lots I have yet to have
> this problem.

Braggart.

Colin B.
April 4th 06, 08:05 PM
Hank Wirtz > wrote:

> "Tim McNamara" > wrote in message
>

>> Anecdotally, in about 40 years of riding a bike lots I have yet to have
>> this problem.
>
> Braggart.

Maybe not. Lack of problems can also imply lack of use.

Tim McNamara
April 5th 06, 12:10 AM
In article >,
"Colin B." > wrote:

> Hank Wirtz > wrote:
> >
> > "Tim McNamara" > wrote in message
> >

> >> Anecdotally, in about 40 years of riding a bike lots I have yet to
> >> have this problem.
> >
> > Braggart.
>
> Maybe not. Lack of problems can also imply lack of use.

SSHHHHHHH! Dang it!

David L. Johnson
April 5th 06, 03:50 AM
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 07:59:18 -0700, bicycle_disciple wrote:

> hi guys,
> i came across an article by the so called irwin goldstein, who is a
> famous urologist and this stuff is all over the internet.

He's famous in his own mind, maybe. Infamous around here.

> though i have no reason whatsoever to throw away my bike away everytime
> one of these articles gets printed...i was wondering what people on the
> forum think.

It's one article, which someone needing a story re-discovers every few
months. It's a poorly designed study with wildly unjustified conclusions.
Just what the popular press loves.

> i've had occasional numbness from riding too long, but
> does that mean i should fear impotence? is there a sound scientific
> basis behind bike seats and ED?

This stuff is usually promoted by people selling --- guess what -- some
new saddle. Usually one with lots of foam.

Sure, some people get numb. It can be a problem. Such problems are more
likely due to a poor position than an evil saddle. OTOH, you have to get
the saddle that fits your butt.

But ask my wife whether I have impotence problems. Or my kids....

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of
_`\(,_ | business.
(_)/ (_) |

Michael Press
April 5th 06, 04:16 AM
In article >,
"David L. Johnson" > wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 07:59:18 -0700, bicycle_disciple wrote:
>
> > hi guys,
> > i came across an article by the so called irwin goldstein, who is a
> > famous urologist and this stuff is all over the internet.
>
> He's famous in his own mind, maybe. Infamous around here.
>
> > though i have no reason whatsoever to throw away my bike away everytime
> > one of these articles gets printed...i was wondering what people on the
> > forum think.
>
> It's one article, which someone needing a story re-discovers every few
> months. It's a poorly designed study with wildly unjustified conclusions.
> Just what the popular press loves.
>
> > i've had occasional numbness from riding too long, but
> > does that mean i should fear impotence? is there a sound scientific
> > basis behind bike seats and ED?
>
> This stuff is usually promoted by people selling --- guess what -- some
> new saddle. Usually one with lots of foam.
>
> Sure, some people get numb. It can be a problem. Such problems are more
> likely due to a poor position than an evil saddle. OTOH, you have to get
> the saddle that fits your butt.
>
> But ask my wife whether I have impotence problems. Or my kids....

Hello, children, do you want some candy? What happens when
Daddy asks you to touch that special place?

--
Michael Press

bill
April 5th 06, 01:41 PM
Hank Wirtz wrote:
> "Diablo Scott" > wrote in message
> > bicycle_disciple wrote:
> >

> >> does that mean i should fear impotence?
> >> is there a sound scientific basis behind bike seats and ED?
> >>
> > Not if you wear a helmet, ride sew-ups, and grease your BB spindle.
>
> And stress-relieve your spokes!

You forgot to mention that after stresss-relieving, you must tie and
solder the spoke crossings, too. This reflects the qi back up to your
Unit, preventing ED.

RonSonic
April 5th 06, 03:01 PM
On 4 Apr 2006 07:59:18 -0700, "bicycle_disciple" >
wrote:

>hi guys,
>i came across an article by the so called irwin goldstein, who is a
>famous urologist and this stuff is all over the internet. the subject
>of debate is about bike seats, the pressure it applies on the penile
>areas due to prolonged activity, and impotence supposedly caused by
>this. one such article is here :
>http://www.journalhome.com/mynetpharma/18751/
>
>though i have no reason whatsoever to throw away my bike away everytime
>one of these articles gets printed...i was wondering what people on the
>forum think. i've had occasional numbness from riding too long, but
>does that mean i should fear impotence?
>is there a sound scientific basis behind bike seats and ED?

Can we please have the helmet threads back?

Ron

Paul Hobson
April 5th 06, 04:18 PM
David L. Johnson wrote:
> But ask my wife whether I have impotence problems.

Oh come on! Like married people actually have sex! (kidding!)

\\paul - who presently won't go into the duration of his dry-spell

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home