PDA

View Full Version : Eyal goes to Texas

S_Wallis
April 4th 06, 04:30 PM
Last weekend we had the pleasure of having Santa Barbara’s Eyal
Aharoni visit us in San Antonio for some riding and socializing. I had
ridden with Eyal at several California Muni weekends, and once in
Austin, but was anxious to get him on my home trails. We got a small
group together for a fast pace cross-country/muni ride on Sunday
morning (Eyal, Phil Veale, Eric Lancaster, and me), then after a lunch
break we were joined by Dave Stockton, and a fairly new but
fast-progressing rider named Joseph, plus a few spectators on foot and
bike. We headed off to an area with lots of fun descents and rock
obstacles for some technical sessions.

Trapper wasn’t riding that day and was nice enough to take photos
of the afternoon session. They are posted on his SA Muni site at:
'SAMuni gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/rhhgv)
It was great to watch Eyal with his smooth, controlled style cleaning
sections on the second try when we had struggled with them for months.
Everyone has their weakness and Eyal’s is that he just
doesn’t provide his audience with any spectacular bone crunching,
flesh abrading crashes. Fortunately Phil and I were ready and able to
fill that need.

My wife and I also got to spend some time with Eyal’s parents
which is always a pleasure.
And thanks to Phil and his wife for providing an impromptu barbeque and
beer party for a few of us after the ride.
We look forward to Eyal coming back sometime and hopefully bringing
some of the other California guys with him.

Scott

|Filename: Collage2.jpg |

S_Wallis

-------------use my -'-email-' ), not PMs
please---------
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

cu2much1
April 4th 06, 05:15 PM
I agree, It was a pleasure to have Eyal ride with us. He is an
amazingly talented rider, and a hell of a nice guy.

PHIL

--
cu2much1
cu2much1's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10858

unidennis
April 4th 06, 06:50 PM
S_Wallis wrote:

> It was great to watch Eyal with his smooth, controlled style cleaning
> sections on the second try when we had struggled with them for months.
> Everyone has their weakness and Eyal’s is that he just doesn’t provide
> his audience with any spectacular bone crunching, flesh abrading
> crashes. Fortunately Phil and I were ready and able to fill that need.
> Scott

Eyal is really an excellent rider!! It's really amazing to ride with
Eyal because he can ride insane sections and not get hurt. Sure
motivates me to accomplish the sections he does. It's jaw-dropping to
see the terrain he rolls over on a uni.
Glad you guys had a good time!

--
unidennis
unidennis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11716

vivalargo
April 4th 06, 07:41 PM
unidennis wrote:
> Eyal is really an excellent rider!! It's really amazing to ride with
> Eyal because he can ride insane sections and not get hurt. Sure
> motivates me to accomplish the sections he does. It's jaw-dropping to
> see the terrain he rolls over on a uni. Glad you guys had a good time!

Funny thing is that Eyal, Josh and I were just saying the same thing
about you, Dennis. But yeah, so far as rolling goes, Eyal is the
shizat. But don't let the smooth taste fool you. The guy's got some
serious leg strength. "Rabbi Rock," that's our Eyal.

JL

--
vivalargo
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

eyal
April 5th 06, 02:32 AM
Y'all are too kind, too kind :) I had the best time, and was similarly
awed by the skills I saw. Scott with his rocket speed and scandelous
climbing abilities, and Phil with his willingness to try any line after
only 7 months of riding.

These guys say all they have is cross country riding in San Antonio,
but they actually have a handfull of really treacherous drop-ins. Each
one was about 40-50 feet long, steeper than anything I've seen in SB,
but just as rocky and rooty. Generally, we were only able to mount
these chutes from the middle, and ride the bottom half. Anything higher
than that requires much more back pressure than we had, in order to
keep the speed down. A hand brake would be tempting, but it would have
to take super-finesse to hold it constant while bouncing down the rocks
and roots.

So, the problem is not that the San Antonians don't have any steep
rocky lines - it's that they are soo steep that it's nearly impossible
to even go about practicing on them. Anyway, these guys make up for it
in speed, endurance, and climbing ability... not to mention, in 90+
degree heat.

Thanks, Trapper, for the awesome photos. Thanks to all for being great
hosts.

"Rabbi Rock"

--
eyal
eyal's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1613

caw89
April 5th 06, 05:49 AM
Only thing htat surpasses his off roading skillz is his extremely nice
personality...

--
caw89

'Cody's Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Codys-Gallery)
'Pedal protector' (http://pedalprotector.com/)
AIM: unicaw89

-last edited by god on 3000-01-01 at 12:00 am-
caw89's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8228

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home