PDA

View Full Version : Broken spoke

swarbrim
April 4th 06, 07:49 PM
I bought a KH Trials from UDC and I found out today that I have broken a
spoke.

About 1 week ago my unicycle was creaking alot, so me and my dad
decided to tighten the spokes (they were very loose). This solved the
problem (mostly) and I had no trouble till I found that broken spoke,
still attached.

I was enquiring what would be the fastest way to fix this problem, I am
not so worried about the cost but I really need it done soon. A
unicyclist is visiting for the weekend and I really need it done by
then. I have phoned UDC but they are not in (it is 1948 so
understandable). Or should I take it to a my LBS??

Thanks in advance,

Mike

--
swarbrim

:D add me at

"I know how you feel. I live in England, and I was given a raincoat for
Christmas three years ago, and I still haven't had chance to use it. "
-- Mike Fule
swarbrim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11005

ntappin
April 4th 06, 07:58 PM
take it to your lbs they should be able to do a wheelbuild. The other
option is to buy the spokes and do the wheelbuild yourself. Be sure to
call around though because that size of spokes is hard to come by so
you may want to not only make sure they have that size but also that
they have a good price. I was able to find a store that had the correct
size for about 75 cents per spoke but most places were charging about
1.25-1.50 for that size so it's worth spending an hour or so on the
phone checking around.

--
ntappin

trials_uni
April 4th 06, 08:30 PM
if its just one broken spoke then just get one from the lbsand put it on
yourself(i assume you kno how because you were able to tighten your
spokes) that should only cost you like 50 cents or somthing. just bring
in the wheel and ask what length you would need.

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/fculm)

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

swarbrim
April 4th 06, 08:40 PM
I do not trust myself. I tightnend the spokes and that was easy enough
but replacing it, Naa.

Mike

--
swarbrim

:D add me at

"I know how you feel. I live in England, and I was given a raincoat for
Christmas three years ago, and I still haven't had chance to use it. "
-- Mike Fule
swarbrim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11005

trials_uni
April 4th 06, 08:43 PM
well replacing is very easy but if you dont feel confident enough then
just take it to the lbs and get the whole deal: replace spoke, tighten
spokes properly, and trueing...at the lbs i work at we charge about $45
CAD forthe whole thing.

--

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

markf
April 5th 06, 12:33 AM
yeah. if it's no really out of true, it should be maybe $20 to install a
new spoke anmd true thew wheel up. probably less.

--
markf

stuck in iowa and gainfully employed.
markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

TheoELind
April 5th 06, 03:55 AM
The two bike shops I frequent (looking for a job and just hanging out
with the mechanics) would charge $10 and $15 for truing. The spoke is
really cheap too. It'd be easy. Just take the wheel off the unicycle,
the tire off the wheel, and then take the wheel in and they'll have it
done in less than five minutes.

--
TheoELind
TheoELind's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8872

General Dibbles
April 5th 06, 04:06 AM
i'm riding a wheel with 3 or 4 broken spokes in it and it is fine, one
spoke really doesn't matter

--
General Dibbles

General Dibbles's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8108

litldude2
April 5th 06, 04:23 AM
Anthony, isn't your wheel completely out of true?

--
litldude2

Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com

James_Potter wrote:
> I think we could just apply the same cure we use for bread, to humans.
> just scrape off the cancer with a butter knife, then put jelly on it,
> and eat it...mmmmmm

rogeratunicycledotcom
April 5th 06, 10:13 PM
swarbrim wrote:
> I bought a KH Trials from UDC and I found out today that I have broken a
> spoke.
>
> About 1 week ago my unicycle was creaking alot, so me and my dad
> decided to tighten the spokes (they were very loose). This solved the
> problem (mostly) and I had no trouble till I found that broken spoke,
> still attached.
>
> I was enquiring what would be the fastest way to fix this problem, I am
> not so worried about the cost but I really need it done soon. A
> unicyclist is visiting for the weekend and I really need it done by
> then. I have phoned UDC but they are not in (it is 1948 so
> understandable). Or should I take it to a my LBS??
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mike

Sorry we were not there when you called, you should have left a message
we would have got back to you or even just emailed us.

The spokes are reletively hard to get hold from LBS, we hold them on
stock though.

Roger

--
rogeratunicycledotcom

++++++++++++++++++
Unicycle.com in the UK
The UK's Unicycle Source
www.unicycle.uk.com
+++++++++++++++++++
rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116

General Dibbles
April 6th 06, 01:38 AM
litldude2 wrote:
> Anthony, isn't your wheel completely out of true?

not really.

--
General Dibbles
General Dibbles's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8108

swarbrim
April 6th 06, 07:19 AM
Thanks guys, its fixed now. I took it to mt LBS and they cut down a
spoke, its silver (all of my others are black) so it gives my uni a
personalized feel.

rogeratunicycledotcom wrote:
> Sorry we were not there when you called, you should have left a message
> we would have got back to you or even just emailed us.
>
> The spokes are reletively hard to get hold from LBS, we hold them on
> stock though.
>
> Roger

Cheers roger, (I didnt mean the call thing as a bad thing)

Mike

--
swarbrim

:D add me at

"I know how you feel. I live in England, and I was given a raincoat for
Christmas three years ago, and I still haven't had chance to use it. "
-- Mike Fule
swarbrim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11005

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home